Where For Art Thou Pearl?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those may be bad, but I remember seeing an ad (I think in The Instrumentalist) from the 60s that showed a marching bass drum that was essentially a single-tuned head on a hoop, turned vertically (like a bass drum looks). I was thinking, that must sound like a roto tom, but even worse. The name of the drum was something like "Tone Os" or "RingOs" or something like that. Can anybody verify that?

You might be thinking of "flapjacks." Larry McCormick developed them for Cavaliers as a precursor/competitor to marching tympani. From what I hear, it was a Rogers die-cast hoop with a tymp head attached, carried in pairs. They lasted part of a season, but were replaced in the line with Ludwig tymps the next year.

Pearl has BY FAR the best sound of any battery equipment IMO, but they are also the most expensive.

I think Yamaha is the best bang for the buck (no pun intended) interms of sound vs. price.

Sorry to interrupt a thread on English with drum stuff, but...

When I was pricing out drums last year for the high school I work with, Pearl wasn't the most expensive. We purchased a set of Dynasty drums with carriers (4 snares, 2 tenors, and 5 basses) for about $5600. Pearl gear from the lowest bidder was almost $2,000 more, if I remember correctly. (I know the price was four digits and started with the number 7.) Yamaha was about $1,000 more than Pearl.

Sorry to interrupt a thread on English with drum stuff, but...

When I was pricing out drums last year for the high school I work with, Pearl wasn't the most expensive. We purchased a set of Dynasty drums with carriers (4 snares, 2 tenors, and 5 basses) for about $5600. Pearl gear from the lowest bidder was almost $2,000 more, if I remember correctly. (I know the price was four digits and started with the number 7.) Yamaha was about $1,000 more than Pearl.

Well then I guess you found a really honest Pearl dealer, or a really crooked Yamaha dealer. :tongue:

Concerning rules and grammar, one can't help but notice errors and non--errors; its one thing you have to try to overlook. And since we are humans to err is divine.

Elmo Blatch

To forgive is divine. To err is human.

In all fairness, Rick's first version of these drums were quality, it wasn't until the "investors" took over.

Sounds like the opposite of Dynasty.

The first few models of Dynasty drums were horrid until The Blue Devils came in the picture.

Sounds like the opposite of Dynasty.

The first few models of Dynasty drums were horrid until The Blue Devils came in the picture.

Hmmm.....sounds like Jupiter horns....until Academy, perhaps???

Note, I'm a brass guy, but why couldn't they have just kept the same Pearl drums they ALREADY owned? Why do drum lines seem to get brand new equipment year in and year out? Do they just not last that long? I always thought that the drum manufacturers practically gave the stuff away to top tier DC's just for the marketing to band directors etc.

From what I know, most corps don't own their drums. I know Yamaha loans the Cavs a new set every two years ('00-'01: wood finish, '02-'03: black w/ sparkles, '04-'05: gun metal), and then they're sold afterward at a discount. Going along with this model, what does Phantom stand to gain from a switch to Dynasty?

The art of oration and it's influence in writing was at its peak between Shakespeare's time and the beginning of WWII.

its* :tongue:

(I guess some people didn't see the humor in my post. "How many mistakes can you find?" should have been the question I posed at the end of the post.)

Elmo Blatch

The period goes outside of the parentheses.