How many percussion titles for BD?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Float taught that line before he moved on to Spirit.

Edited by Jeffe77

Jeffe,

I was intrigued by the question someone raised about close seconds / ties etc so I started browsing corpsreps.com. I noticed that on your chart for 1988 you had Santa Clara listed as taking drums but Corps Rep shows Cadets up a 1/10th in the performance caption at 14.9 to SCV's 14.8. Just curious if you have a different source or maybe corpsrep had it listed incorrectly. It appears the judging methodology changed that year, with 15 pts for performance instead of 20 so is it a possibility that GE percussion was combined with performance to determine the drum trophy? SCV was up substantially in GE perc, so on that premise it would certainly put Jonz up on top. Just curious...

Cheers :blink:

Just checked FromThePressbox, and Spirit of Atlanta did indeed win guard in 85 (at least, maybe more?) so the answer is yes, there is at least one other corps that has won a caption award that has never won DCI outright (along w/ Bayonne)

Anyone want to help me out...my friend asked me how many percussion titles Blue Devils has won. I couldnt answer. Help?

Seems like 500. lol.

Tom Float taught that line before he moved on to Spirit.

My former corps director marched in the tenor line that year, and I've hard some AMAZING stories about him/that line! Unfortunately, though, I've never actually heard a recording of that show :(

Edited by perc2100

Yup. 15th place corps with a 1st place drum line.

Sounds a bit like 1979 North Star - they did make finals (9th I think) and just missed the drumline trophy by the skin of their teeth. The chrome wall was really something to see.

Sounds a bit like 1979 North Star - they did make finals (9th I think) and just missed the drumline trophy by the skin of their teeth. The chrome wall was really something to see.

Similar to 27th in 84.....11th place overall, 2nd in drums by 1/10th.

The thing about the Oakland guys is that they were head and shoulders better than everyone that year. The 2nd place drum line was Blue Devils, who were 0.65 behind them in prelims, and went on to win the percussion trophy at finals. I was taught by a snare drummer from that line, and it's such a heart breaking story to hear about them sitting in the stands at retreat and hearing Blue Devils announced as the best percussion section in 1977.

Jeffe,

I was intrigued by the question someone raised about close seconds / ties etc so I started browsing corpsreps.com. I noticed that on your chart for 1988 you had Santa Clara listed as taking drums but Corps Rep shows Cadets up a 1/10th in the performance caption at 14.9 to SCV's 14.8. Just curious if you have a different source or maybe corpsrep had it listed incorrectly. It appears the judging methodology changed that year, with 15 pts for performance instead of 20 so is it a possibility that GE percussion was combined with performance to determine the drum trophy? SCV was up substantially in GE perc, so on that premise it would certainly put Jonz up on top. Just curious...

Cheers :blink:

Your right about the latter assesment you made. My source was some buddies of mine who marched in the bassline that year (2nd and 4th, Won't name drop). They told me about how bittersweet it was to finally beat BD to win the drum trophy after so many years coming in 2nd however the bittersweet part was SCV losing to the Scouts. They thought for sure they won that night.