Here it is - Madison's 2008 Program!

Nice soprano solo. Is that you, Weedy?

Ask again in 2011 ;) ... I've got until 2012.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally! The show announcement!

No doubt there is some good music in the repertoire and, hopefully, the program will come together to boost the Scouts back up in the standings but these show announcements make me laugh. Instead of just saying "we're playing some Latin music" it's couched in the excess verbage of "an exploration of cultural evolution" and "...a stoic observer across the passage of time, is a metaphor for consistency within the context of profound change." Mmm hmm.

No doubt there is some good music in the repertoire and, hopefully, the program will come together to boost the Scouts back up in the standings but these show announcements make me laugh. Instead of just saying "we're playing some Latin music" it's couched in the excess verbage of "an exploration of cultural evolution" and "...a stoic observer across the passage of time, is a metaphor for consistency within the context of profound change." Mmm hmm.

This stuff has been going on for a while. Anyone want to dig up the Crossmen 1992 show announcement?

Also in the MP3 I downloaded, after the opener there seem to be a short little clip of a piece. Can a member tell me which piece this is? I guess it's just the first part cause it's about a minute long.

Also in the MP3 I downloaded, after the opener there seem to be a short little clip of a piece. Can a member tell me which piece this is? I guess it's just the first part cause it's about a minute long.

You are correct, it is the first part to the second movement, which I think is going to be a lot of people's favorite tune of the show. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a little bit before we go into that part that isn't in there. There is a video of an orchestra playing the same song on youtube. It's going to be really exciting.

-Weedy

:tongue: There were actually only 7 of them at the camp. Just wait until you hear all 12, those guys are really awesome.

-Weedy

Aww thanks Weedy! the "Sops" are awesome too!

When in doubt, go with something Latin, I guess...

<sarcasm on> Nachos and iguanas. Only in drum corps can we make art out of processed food and lizards.

DW

you should read an essay tom wolfe wrote in the early 70's called, "The Painted Word". in it he explored the idiocy of degrading the importance of aesthetics in art in favor of a discussion of the arts accompanying text. he felt a work of art should stand on its own legs, and not be demeaned by turning it into nothing more or less than a newspaper column. i happen to agree with him, i am interested in art for aesthetic, not editorial reasons, and can't imagine the strange inner psychology of anyone who prefers the dry text to the emotional experience of art. as for madison, i like the musical choices, i am anticipating the show, and i think this iguana talk is completely absurd and doesn't speak to the musical choices or the corps in any sensible way.