Blue Devils 2007

I have a perfect example to give,l but I have to teach a sabre class...back in an hour.

So...here's that example....

Some background...

In foil fencing, the scolring light USED to go off when the tip was depressed (breaking the electrical circuit) even the tiniest bit...this led to some toucbhes registering that REALLY probably shouldn't have.

A couple of years back, the timing chips in the scoring boxes were changed so that circuit had to be broken for at least 15 milliseconds before the light would fire....not a LONG time, but enough to really minimize those iffy touches almost right away.

At the same time, tho, fencers found out that if the wore a plastic chest guard (which are required for women....gotta protect the goodies!) outside their fencing jacket and just under the much thinner scoring jacket, often those touches would bounce of quickly and the corcuit break woudl be too short to register.

There was NO rule against it....yet we had the EXACT same disussion on Fencing.net dre if it was cheating...my response there was the same as here...if there is no rule against it, it is not cheating.

Fencing's ruling body solvbed the problem by issuing an emergency rule that the chest plate MUST be benrath the jacket, not on top....that adds a little cishion from the jacket itself, and cut down on touches bouncing off...so NOW if I find someone with the chest plate outside the jacket, I can throw a penalty card...but that does not invalidate results from before the emergency ruling....it was a perfectly legal tactic for about three months.

I don't know that DCI has a provision for emergency rules....they could solve this problem very easily by issuing one that clearly states there shall be no alteratikon of any sound between the microphone and the speaker...the ONLY thing that could be done would be to make it louder.

But that STILL wouldn't mean BD cheated...they...did...not.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well...Hop did bring up the subject of whether or not it was legal for Bluecoats to amplify a megaphone (what that electronic-could be considered a mic) as it was amplified amplification, but it was ruled as legal-which is ok. I couldn't imagine him not bringing up something that serious

Edited by cellopitmello

Lol i needed a good laugh tonight...either way, saying the Cadets were cheated is just wrong....but as far as BD...eh...I can see the points being made..but i like sitting back and watching everyone else go at it.

I don't know if lowering voice electronically is legal or illegal. But I absolutely loved BD last year and the judges made their decision. However, I do believe that rules should be inforced and penalties given when rules are broken. Otherwise, what is the purpose of rules? But in my opinion (yes, I know I'm not a judge and this is just my opinion), BD clearly won, voice lowering or not.

Just my two cents.

We never really talked about the Blue Devils cheating scandal of 2007 and I’d be curious to know what others think.

After reading all these pages, the reason there has been no discussion is because there was no scandal.

I'm not sure why everyone is going off so much on the OP.

I thought Blue Devils 2007 were phenomenal. I also think they broke the rules (or at least went against the spirit of the rule) and didn't get called on it, and that puts DCI at fault just as much as BD.

Why the fuss?

well....

I heard that BD gets their steroids from Brian McNamee as well.

:)

I can't wait to hear some sop solos with WAH PEDAL!

God....don't tell Hop!

"On the field, sponsored by YEA....presenting their program, 'Do you Feel Like I Do? The Music of Peter Frampton'....DCI is proud to present....the Cadets!"

After reading all these pages, the reason there has been no discussion is because there was no scandal.

Oh, you're no fun, anymore.