Only 5 judges prior to July 4?

From DCI.org:

"After directing a thorough review of operating budgets and enacting spending cuts in many areas, the DCI Board of Directors voted earlier this week to adjust the organization’s competitive adjudication system during the first part of the 2008 DCI Summer Tour, reducing the number of adjudicators to five for all World Class events prior to July 4."

???????

So... does anyone know any more details about this? Are they simply NOT judging some captions? Are some judges pulling double duty, like simultaneously judging visual performance and visual ensemble, for instance? Maybe I'm completely missing something, but I'd like to understand better how this will work, if anyone knows.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From DCI.org:

"After directing a thorough review of operating budgets and enacting spending cuts in many areas, the DCI Board of Directors voted earlier this week to adjust the organization’s competitive adjudication system during the first part of the 2008 DCI Summer Tour, reducing the number of adjudicators to five for all World Class events prior to July 4."

???????

So... does anyone know any more details about this? Are they simply NOT judging some captions? Are some judges pulling double duty, like simultaneously judging visual performance and visual ensemble, for instance? Maybe I'm completely missing something, but I'd like to understand better how this will work, if anyone knows.

I think they eliminate field judges.

The 5 members judging panel will consist of:

Music Effect (20 Points)

Visual Effect (20 Points)

Music Ensemble (20 Points)

Visual Ensemble (20 Points)

Percussion 2 (20 Points)

I'm not worried. DCI is preemptively cutting costs!

I also think this is going to make for an interesting season score-wise. The placements will change from the first part of the season ( 1st Tour ) to the second part of the season.... After July 4th ( 2nd Tour ) we'll see some big movements in some corps.....

Edited by jjeffeory

I'm not that surprised...no one has a finished show when the season starts anyway...why pay extra people to judge them?

I'm not that surprised...no one has a finished show when the season starts anyway...why pay extra people to judge them?

Well, presumably, nobody has a finished show because they haven't received judges' feedback yet. I wonder if more corps will make more changes later in the season due to a decrease in the judging input they'll be receiving early on.

Well, presumably, nobody has a finished show because they haven't received judges' feedback yet. I wonder if more corps will make more changes later in the season due to a decrease in the judging input they'll be receiving early on.

Considering the missing judges are performance judges rather than effect I doubt it.

I'm actually rather disappointed they chose to go with the effect and the ensemble judges. I ran a statistical analysis of the scores from last summer, and the GE and ensemble captions were very highly correlated - meaning one predicted the other. The placement in the captions didn't differ by more than one placement unless there was an anomaly or involved the cluster of corps that were neck and neck all summer last year. The field judges and the judges in the box had different takes on things, so seemed to be more representative of what was really going on performance-wise. I would have rather seen the ensemble and effect captions merged, or the effect caption eliminated for the early season.