Only 5 judges prior to July 4?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few weeks before the season? In an "emergency" fashion"?

Nope, not worried. People have been predicting the demise of DCI for awhile now and it hasn't (read wont) happened yet. Not going anywhere.

I'm actually rather disappointed they chose to go with the effect and the ensemble judges. I ran a statistical analysis of the scores from last summer, and the GE and ensemble captions were very highly correlated - meaning one predicted the other. The placement in the captions didn't differ by more than one placement unless there was an anomaly or involved the cluster of corps that were neck and neck all summer last year. The field judges and the judges in the box had different takes on things, so seemed to be more representative of what was really going on performance-wise. I would have rather seen the ensemble and effect captions merged, or the effect caption eliminated for the early season.

Hmmm, that is interesting. Maybe that can only be applied to last year? I don't know at all; I haven't analyzed it myself. (I did do regression-type statistics for 2006, but I think I probably deleted them.) Just throwing it out there. Interesting observation though... it makes sense, but I wouldn't have guessed that unaided.

Well... in that sense it's kind of similar to what they were previously doing before July 4th... judges weren't allowed on the field and had to judge from the stands. At least there were 8 judges in 8 captions, though...

Nope, not worried. People have been predicting the demise of DCI for awhile now and it hasn't (read wont) happened yet. Not going anywhere.

Year after year, more corps are disappearing than are being created. You sure about that? Maybe "DCI" will survive, but as how many corps? Four? People have also been predicting the demise of the junior drum and bugle corps activity, and, look around you, it's happening.

Well, the Open class corps decided to do this awhile back. There really isnt anything strange about this. I think there is too much reading into the whole thing.

it does make sense, plus in recent years there has been an outcry about field judges getting hurt early in the year when they dont know the shows that well ( even tho we all know 10 pages of drill can be changed in a day and rolled out that night in July)

the activity in general is moving more and more away from performance captions on the field.

Nope. Maybe they've been thinking about it for a while now & just decided to implement it given the rise in gas prices?

Is anyone else worried that DCI is struggling financially?

Troubled times lie ahead for DCI & the activity. Without question, this upcoming season will be the least attended in drum corp history. When you compare the total number of drum corp & drum corp shows now compared to the 1970's & early 1980's, it isn't even close. Besides the obvious issues now with gas & food prices, here in my opinion are the other issues having a negative effect on drum corps:

1. DCI canceling it's TV contract with ESPN. Are you kidding me? ESPN isn't the right kind of exposure???

2. Signing up for 10 years of DCI in Indy. I like Indy & all but how many people are going to want to go to Indy every year? And how many people on the east & west coasts are going to want to go to Indy?

3. Lucas Oil Field won't be completed in time for DCI 2008. Projects of this magnitude are never completed on time. DCI has egg on it's face for rolling the dice & hoping it would be done. This is a major mistake & is inexcusable. DCI should have scheduled finals elsewhere...like Madison. Now you have 20,000 fans with hotel rooms in Indy but they must travel to Bloomington? I really can't believe that DCI committed to Lucas Field in year one. This is just plain bad management & bad decision making. In the business world, heads would roll for a goof like this. It's just plain bush league.

4. DCI moving it's headquarters from Chicago to Indy. What is it with Indy??? I don't get it.

5. High brow shows with absolutely no mass appeal. Todays shows appeal to music majors & fashion designers. Nothing about drum corp in 2008 appeals to the neighborhood kid who is looking for something to do in the summer. Since most D1 corps rely on out of state members, gas & travel expenses will have an effect on the number of out of staters able to bear the cost burden. IF DRUM CORP IS TO SURVIVE...WHICH IS VERY QUESTIONABLE AT THIS POINT, IT MUST RETURN TO RECRUITING LOCAL KIDS & REDUCE THE DEPENDENCY ON OUT OF STATE MEMBERS.

As for the desperate move of reducing the number of judges for the first half of the season...isn't this similar to if major league baseball decided that they would reduce the number of umpires to 2 for each game until the all star break? Wouldn't this compromise the quality of the product & the results?

When DCI decides they must downsize the number of judges at DCI competitions, make no mistake...money is tight.

I hope drum corps as an activity can survive the economic challenges that lie ahead, & poor management decisions that have been made.

Flamman...you should just...i dunno chill? maybe money is a little tight, so what? I sure it's not that they're almost bankrupt tight, just being cautious, but who isn't these days. What's more important is individual corps IMHO....but to your points at hand...

1. You're talking HUGE bucks to run that...with not that big if a viewer ratio to keep paying it. It means nothing in the big picture though...it happens all the time to very successful organizations..

2. Indy is a pretty good location in the united states...how many people wanted to travel from say, the east coast to Pasadena? or form the far south all the way to Camp Randell? It makes sense, and takes alot of stress out when they don't have to go fishing around for a spot for finals, unlike other major leagues, we don't have our own stadiums to use...it was a smart move on DCIs part.

3. SO WHAT. they had a back up, they were smart about it...it's not there fault Lucas Oil screwed them over. and besides, they're doing free shuttles to finals, so stop whining about it like the rest of us already.

4. Indy is a pretty large competitive marching band venue...alot more than chicago...it makes sense for DCI to try to get more in this area so that they don't have to worry about being put on the back burner of marching bands. They're being proactive and getting involved, leave them alone for that.

5. OMG...i don't even know where to start on this point. High Brow? I guess you could call it that..i'd instead call them well designed shows? sorry they're not throwing 2 or 3 tunes you together that you know by heart, and that you really might have to think deeply into the show and find it's meaning. I guess that wouldn't be very entertaining anyway though, right? And as far as out of state kids...*rolls eyes* please. It's not that they rely on them...the kids COME TO THEM! I auditions for carolina crown because i live in NC, i wasn't good enough so i went out of state to another corps that took me...is that so wrong? I CHOSE to do it...not the other way around. Besides...if you're good enough, and the kids like you enough, they're willing to travel.

As far as the judges...i can agree it might be to save money...but don't be mistaken into thinking that it's to 'save dci' because of money...they're just being proactive...

back to enjoying my early morning coffee. :)