Spartans public performance

do any of you even realize just how young the spartans are this year? I just talked to a guy I know who has a daughter marching with them and he said most of them are around 14-16 years old. If I can remember that far back when I started marching, I had two left feet.

I have spoken in defense about this corps a little bit this year because it seems like they have been under a microscope almost as much as George Hopkins' rule proposals. :P But I feel that there's a lot of anger towards either the administrative side of the corps or certain people on staff, however rather than take it out on them we are instead bashing these "kids" for being out of step in a parade as if it was a big deal and then accusing staff of being careless. wow! I won't mention where I first marched, but we couldn't march out of a wet paper bag in early June. (even in a parade) :) I don't even understand the fuss here. They are just kids. Even if they marched perfectly in step, someone might comment on stick heights being off or someone's horn being down a little. lol it's not that big of a deal.

I don't think I'll even get to see them this year seeing that they are only doing shows way out in the east/northeast. But I hope they do well. I hope ALL of the corps do well. I have been a supporter of drum corps since I started in 1988 and I will try my best to see their finals in August. My hotel is in Indianapolis so I should be able to catch them.

again, my comments toward the current marching ability of the Spartans have been apologized for. I posted the link to the Regiment article only after someone indicated that corps "don't care" about parades anymore. I just wanted this assertion challenged.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off - I was just curious and asking a simple question. Your reasoning would make sense as to why the Citations have tripled in size this year.

Secondly and most importantly - read all other posts carefully. I never posted any photos of the Spartans and wasn't anywhere near taking a "low-shot" at the Spartans. If you are going to unleash on someone, make sure you have the right person.

By the tone of your email, it's clear you are affiliated with the Spartans in some way...that's great! I hope the Spartans have an amazing summer on the road.

Um, I didn't accuse YOU of posting any photos, Mr! I started by answering your post and then responding to a couple others. Why so defensive? Yeesh! :ninja:

To the other person, that photo is a bad one and there's no doubt about it. I never said you wanted to blackmail THEM, but you must have known that posting any photo like that would draw negative comments, but then again that's what people do on these forums (cause a ruckus, that is).

I do try to affiliate myself with the few corps left in the area, yes, but ohhhhhh my gosh, I must be a part of the corps because I'm one of the ones sticking up for them...is that how it is? If that's the perception then the world truly has it out for the Spartans this year. I hope they have a great summer too, which is why this banter ought to stop! There always needs to be someone to pick on and gossip about now doesn't there. It's too bad. :w00t:

-T

Um, I didn't accuse YOU of posting any photos, Mr! I started by answering your post and then responding to a couple others. Why so defensive? Yeesh! :ninja:

To the other person, that photo is a bad one and there's no doubt about it. I never said you wanted to blackmail THEM, but you must have known that posting any photo like that would draw negative comments, but then again that's what people do on these forums (cause a ruckus, that is).

I do try to affiliate myself with the few corps left in the area, yes, but ohhhhhh my gosh, I must be a part of the corps because I'm one of the ones sticking up for them...is that how it is? If that's the perception then the world truly has it out for the Spartans this year. I hope they have a great summer too, which is why this banter ought to stop! There always needs to be someone to pick on and gossip about now doesn't there. It's too bad. :w00t:

-T

When you quote someone next time, try and make it clear the context of your post and to which quotes it applies to. My reaction was just. If you read your post again, you address me and the photos in the same paragraph making it easy for me to come to the logical conclusion that they whole paragraph was addressed to me.

Not a big deal. If you knew me, you'd know I'm not defensive at all - just wanted to clarify to you (and other readers) that I didn't take a "low shot" at the Spartans. I think we can both agree that "low-shots" at any corps, especially the Spartans, just isn't right.

Thanks.

Alright, what has this thread become? It's just a lot of people accusing people of taking "low shots". We'll keep on passing the blame around when really, most people are here for the same reason: gossip. That's what all these spartan threads have become. I'll be the first to admitt that I am no better than everyone else who posts. I am here to read the gossip. I don't need to make any excuses. I hate to see bad publicity just as much as I hate to see a car wreck, but it doesn't mean I'm not gonna take a look when I pass by the next car wreck I see. And trust me, if someone needed MY help, I'd help in any way that is safe for me. But back to what this really is, again, I'm here for gossip, like everyone else is.. regardless of your concern.

But if a witch hunt is what everyone wants, then let's have at it!! Let's start accusing people of taking "low shots". I'll make the first offical accusation: RICHARD, my friend... I hate to say this, but... BURN, WITCH!!! BURN!!!!!!

*I appologize for any sarcasm that may have caused some people to ponder what the heck I am talking about. This was just too fun to write.

Alright, what has this thread become? It's just a lot of people accusing people of taking "low shots". We'll keep on passing the blame around when really, most people are here for the same reason: gossip. That's what all these spartan threads have become. I'll be the first to admitt that I am no better than everyone else who posts. I am here to read the gossip. I don't need to make any excuses. I hate to see bad publicity just as much as I hate to see a car wreck, but it doesn't mean I'm not gonna take a look when I pass by the next car wreck I see. And trust me, if someone needed MY help, I'd help in any way that is safe for me. But back to what this really is, again, I'm here for gossip, like everyone else is.. regardless of your concern.

But if a witch hunt is what everyone wants, then let's have at it!! Let's start accusing people of taking "low shots". I'll make the first offical accusation: RICHARD, my friend... I hate to say this, but... BURN, WITCH!!! BURN!!!!!!

*I appologize for any sarcasm that may have caused some people to ponder what the heck I am talking about. This was just too fun to write.

Ladies and gentlemen, the pancake has been flipped.

Obligatory "low shot": your mom.

"your mom"- That is hilarious. Thank you for shedding some humor on this topic. Even with the incorrect grammar.

Peter LaFlamme may have also side stepped the reason as to why they are so small this year. He cited the members winning a gold medal and then moving on as well as the cost for the drum corps as to why they are going to be "60 members, give or take a few" rather than the 100+ they have been in recent years.

I heard many rumours involving staff leaving and taking the members? Can anyone from spartans verify if this is true? Is there a new staff/design team in Naushua?

Would the staff really take the members? Or is this a case of members following staff known to acheive certain results, knowing that they would not be getting the same quality experience if they were to stay with the Spartans. Perhaps this is the same situation we saw with ECJ, where a few members followed some of the staff that went to Jersey Surf, others went Div I, and many did not march at all. Do we really know whether or not any of the former Spartans went to the Citations with their staff?

"Respect, Responsibility, and Commitment"

I think thats the reason why so many members and staff left. They were not seeing those values from the Administration.

No one can blame the members for not going back. Its a whole different drum corps.

Edited by ilikedrumcorps

Would the staff really take the members? Or is this a case of members following staff known to acheive certain results, knowing that they would not be getting the same quality experience if they were to stay with the Spartans. Perhaps this is the same situation we saw with ECJ, where a few members followed some of the staff that went to Jersey Surf, others went Div I, and many did not march at all. Do we really know whether or not any of the former Spartans went to the Citations with their staff?

Yes, quite a few former members followed their staff to citations, including myself. The staff and the members made that corps what it was. The spartans are a completely new corps using an old name. I do not expect to see the corps resemble what we have seen in the past.

I wish the members of the spartans the best of luck this summer as well as everyone else marching this summer, I hope that everyone enjoys marching where ever they chose to march this summer. It shouldn't matter how clean a corps is, but how hard the members work to achieve their goals, whether that goal is to win or to have fun.