The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

It's been about an hour now sence I watched the Cedarburg show on the fan network and I have a few thoughts running through my head. Not the Ya'll want to know or even care, but here go's .

I really like the fact that our show is not like so many others ie; Horns and drum and guard are together most of the time. Not horns and drums over there and the guard over there doin' their stuff while the horns and drums stand and play.

I really like the book ! All the musical elements carry the program.

I like the unis. I'm not in love with them, but I do like them. For me they are missing something., not sure what it is.

Keep on cleanin' and the Scout's have a winner !

GO SCOUTS !

Bill

Just watched it and yes this corps is executing much better than last week at Camp Randall. Show has much more pop to it. I still am not sold on the closer. When you think of the 80's-90's and all the great closers bringing people to their feet this just doesnt seem to measure up.

Ive had the thought since I first saw them that they could reprise the end of the opener or the second song because they clearly have a closer feel to them and end on bigger notes. I think the last song is "Progreso"? Its just a little too dischordant and doesnt resolve well which is what closers strive to do.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched it and yes this corps is executing much better than last week at Camp Randall. Show has much more pop to it. I still am not sold on the closer.

The closer won't be in until the Denver show...

Jerry, when the conversation degraded last night to name-calling for mispelled words, it clearly went across the line. The My Adminstration Was Better Than Your Administration topic has gone too far... Sure, everyone has their opinions, but there are ways to discuss them without calling each other (or the prior administration) names.

Hindsight is always absolutely perfect, and your personal experience will always be better from your point of view than what someone else experienced under a different adminstration.

It would be refreshing if this discussion would at least evolve from the Piranha level to the Neanderthal level... at least the red meat would be cooked a bit before going into a complete feeding frenzy.

Linda,

If you're implying or stating that I've personally been involved in the foolish practice of making the claim "this or that administration or style is better then another", you're completely mistaken. Or, as you seem to be implying that I've taken part in "calling each other or prior administration's names", you must be confusing me with someone else, or, maybe yours is a broad brush approach thus lumping me in with your presumptive classification.

No, accept when attempting to insert levity into the dialog, I've tried my best to bring knowledge and fact to the discussion. But, by your decree, this is forbidden. I guess you didn't garner or see the validity of the "gatekeeper" point from my last post. Your nullifying of "hindsight" and "personal experience" rabble is the same type of classic ill logic that comes from the "there is no attainable truth" crowd.

But, at least now I completely understand where I sit on your evolutionary scale and that my new mandate is to "evolve from being a Piranha to that of Neanderthal". Interesting, don't you think? One might easily conclude this to be the very type of name calling and insulting comments you so desperately want the rest of us to evolve from.

But, I guess for some, the ends justify the means.

(P.S. I'm currently researching the lifestyle and times of Neanderthal Man but my wife says I'm wasting my time and that all I need is to take a look in the mirror........dang it!)

Just watched it and yes this corps is executing much better than last week at Camp Randall. Show has much more pop to it. I still am not sold on the closer. When you think of the 80's-90's and all the great closers bringing people to their feet this just doesnt seem to measure up.

Ive had the thought since I first saw them that they could reprise the end of the opener or the second song because they clearly have a closer feel to them and end on bigger notes. I think the last song is "Progreso"? Its just a little too dischordant and doesnt resolve well which is what closers strive to do.

I think you'll be happy after Denver.

If you're implying or stating that I've personally been involved in the foolish practice of making the claim "this or that administration or style is better then another", you're completely mistaken. Or, as you seem to be implying that I've taken part in "calling each other or prior administration's names", you must be confusing me with someone else, or, maybe yours is a broad brush approach thus lumping me in with your presumptive classification.

Yes, I was addressing the collective "you" as well as your comment about tossing red meat into a lion's den... no offense intended, but the collective reached an all-time low with the name-calling last night. Seemed like quite a feeding frenzy overall, with several participating.

If you've ever watched Piranhas feed, you'll know what I'm talking about... not that I'm calling you all (y'all or collective you's) Piranhas, but that type of frenzied chaotic feasting on "red meat" is what things were starting to look like. Seems if people would let things cook or simmer a bit instead of jumping right into the fray, then it wouldn't get so frenzied around here with the name-calling and mine-is-better-than-yours stuff.

It's been about an hour now sence I watched the Cedarburg show on the fan network and I have a few thoughts running through my head. Not the Ya'll want to know or even care, but here go's .

I really like the fact that our show is not like so many others ie; Horns and drum and guard are together most of the time. Not horns and drums over there and the guard over there doin' their stuff while the horns and drums stand and play.

I really like the book ! All the musical elements carry the program.

I like the unis. I'm not in love with them, but I do like them. For me they are missing something., not sure what it is.

Keep on cleanin' and the Scout's have a winner !

GO SCOUTS !

Bill, My Bro!

I'm also liking the fact that Madison has not settled for the "cookie cutter" shows we see from so many today. It's unique and it's exposed.

I also agree with your uniform question. For me, the jacket is just a little to "olive" and there's the continual complaint that the men are melting into the back-drop of the field way to easily. I think the easy fix would be to "add" a couple items to the uni. that might bring a little more contrast to bear. Maybe instead of the almost undetectable thin gold citation cord, go to the "fat" white woven cord. Maybe some sort of "bright" sash like gold, silver or red.

My .2

Just watched the Cedarburg performance on the DCI Fan Network, and I must say I'm very impressed. Somebody else posted this a while back (and this thread is way too long to check back to see who said it), but I agree with the statement that this feels like the first "real" Madison show to me in years. And before anybody slams me for dismissing other shows, I don't mean to do that. But this show has a cohesiveness, and a Latin vibe throughout, that for me just says Madison. I realize this is highly subjective. Maybe it's the "Malaguena" legacy; who knows? All I know is that this show has a certain vibe that I really enjoy. Only one more month before I get to see the corps in Buffalo! :thumbup:

GO SCOUTS!

Wow.....is that you, Bonnie?

OMG !!!

NO TIME TODAY !!!

:thumbup:

Edited by ALICE '71

OK. I waited an hour to hear the answer. I can't take the suspense.

GARY,I PRESUME ???

(The "Royal Airs" gave it away !)

"BIG BAD WOLF MAN"... I'll deal with YOU later !!

:thumbup:

Dude, I just watched the Cedarburg show on the fan network and I cannot believe how much cleaner the show looks from just 3 days before that. I hope they can keep up with that pace because the show is coming together in a way that just blows my mind. The music sounds great, the marching was better and the drum break was really clean. I think the Mayan influence on the drill is some of the coolest stuff I've seen on the field this year! Keep it up maddy!!!