The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Man, you are Dead On!

Your statement is a clear example of what I believe to be a disturbing incremental trend in drum corps. What is this dangerous habit I speak of? Absolutely No interest, acknowledgment or understanding of drum corps history. If you were brand new to this web site and a new-be to drum corps and you only based your point of reference of truth to everything you read on DCP, you'd probably come away believing that drum corps has only been around for 10 years or so. I believe this trend is due to those newest to our activity that wrongly and consistently make blanket statements as "fact" based solely upon their extraordinarily limited drum corps exposure. Shockingly, many of these same individuals lack even a modicum of humility as they often brazenly lecture those that have come before them as self proclaimed experts only to find out they marched drum corps for the first time last summer with 3 years of marching band. Sadly, these same individuals tend to conclude that if it doesn't come from their era, it just doesn't measure up! More so, this problem just doesn't lie with the new-be's, it's also coming from their parents as well.

As somewhat of a "newbie" I can say that I am an exception to this notion, though I have met many people who fit your description.

I was actually talking to someone about why they should purchase the Field Pass, and my main reason was because of the HUGE library of historical DCI Finalists. I was shocked to hear the response of "I don't care about that stuff".

I find this kinda ironic; I hate American History more than any other subject, but the main reason I stay on this crazy place called DCP is to learn about the history of drum corps and marching arts.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way you say it Scott is back in history. Sal followed Scott. If youre going to impugn current staff as "just in it for a paycheck" then you have to look at the fact that Sal took the job directly after Scott for 3 times what he got.

And what were the other top shelf Div I directors getting minus the rent?

As somewhat of a "newbie" I can say that I am an exception to this notion, though I have met many people who fit your description.

I was actually talking to someone about why they should purchase the Field Pass, and my main reason was because of the HUGE library of historical DCI Finalists. I was shocked to hear the response of "I don't care about that stuff".

I find this kinda ironic; I hate American History more than any other subject, but the main reason I stay on this crazy place called DCP is to learn about the history of drum corps and marching arts.

Interesting,

Your response is both sad and a breath of fresh air. I'm not at all surprised to hear about the individual that proclaimed their lack of interest as they did. I deal with it here on DCP on a continual basis. If you and I continue to do our part, just maybe we'll win a few over.

The way you say it Scott is back in history. Sal followed Scott. If youre going to impugn current staff as "just in it for a paycheck" then you have to look at the fact that Sal took the job directly after Scott for 3 times what he got.

IMO, Sal is worth every penny. Although Stewart was too. I'm not about to argue that Stewart wasn't a beast. But times change, and Sal is also a beast. Why is every measure of success linked to Stewart? Yeah, the guy was great, a one of a kind, but how long do we hang on to an era that's over? Is Madison a starving artist corps? Can you reach the top with that mindset?

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Interesting,

Your response is both sad and a breath of fresh air. I'm not at all surprised to hear about the individual that proclaimed their lack of interest as they did. I deal with it here on DCP on a continual basis. If you and I continue to do our part, just maybe we'll win a few over.

...go scouts :thumbup:

IMO, Sal is worth every penny. Although Stewart was too. I'm not about to argue that Stewart wasn't a beast. But times change, and Sal is also a beast.

Sal a beast??? Gayle Royer, Jeff Fiedler, George Bonfiglio, Jerry Seawright, & Scott Stewart were beasts...Sal was a one hit wonder...When a big time DCI corp director doesn't show up at numerous Scout public functions, that is a problem. Not to mention that his ability to communicate & relate to possible sponsors was poor & weak.

Sal a beast??? Gayle Royer, Jeff Fiedler, George Bonfiglio, Jerry Seawright, & Scott Stewart were beasts...Sal was a one hit wonder...When a big time DCI corp director doesn't show up at numerous Scout public functions, that is a problem. Not to mention that his ability to communicate & relate to possible sponsors was poor & weak.

Sal a one hit wonder? Really? What year? No, he made finals EVERY YEAR he was director. 6th in 2005!!!! (5th until finals) Ever check Sal's WGI record? No, Sal is as good as it gets in this activity. If you check around with people that know, you'll find this to be the truth. Let Sal have the same tenure as Fiedler, and I'll bet you'll get great results. It takes time my friends.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Once again, we want to hang on to memories, and an era that's over.