The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Why hasn't Jolesch photographing any DCI events? If they aren't, who is?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Scouts performance from K-zoo tonight. (It's already on Fan Network.) I thought it was a great performance, much better than Madison last Saturday. Seemed like a lot of energy, and the brass sounded pretty good. I like the percussion book!

I watched the show tonight and it didn't even look like the same corps I saw last week. 100% improvement. I'm impressed with the drill. It's very open and unique. I thought the visual scores would have been higher, but it's still early. If the Scouts can maintain this type of progress, they will challenge for a finals spot. Kudos on a great week, keep it going.

I feel that the air blades, while interesting to look at...are still very sloppy looking from a distance. Where are the rifle lines from say....the 70's, 80's, and 90's? No lines have compared in quite some time.

:worthy:agreed.

Good show last night.

Looks like the guys are making great strides. If you look at the recaps from last night, it's clearly the guard that's hurting em. But it sounds like the guard's working hard.

go scouts!

Something very strange going on with the Madison scores. Twice last night you had the case where performance was higher than composition (or it's equivalent).

If you look at the recaps, almost all of Madison's individual scores are close together. This is telling you that the corps actually is performing the show better than the material would suggest. I guess you could see this as good news, but it tells me that unfortunately there isn't a lot of room to grow.

Many corps have a moderate gap between the two, with composition on top, showing that there is room to grow. I haven't seen the show yet, but their recap strikes me as odd.

I'm hopeful that this might just mean that they have more to add, but possibly just wanted to get what is there now cleaned up before they really fell hopelessly into some scoring abyss. The comments last week and the week before mostly seemed to suggest what they had was great but just dirty and needed to be cleaned, so perhaps that just what they worked on. The general commentary I see this weekend is "Wow have they cleaned up!"

Brass and percussion scores seem competitive and have room for growth, and a several other corps are within their reach to overtake caption-wise.

Keep whittling away at it guys! It's a marathon, not a sprint to finals!!

We saw the Kalamazoo show in person and talked with our son afterward. The guys we talked to are excited about the show and all that is being added to it every single day. They rehearsed 7 or 8 hours yesterday before the K-zoo show and added a sigificant # of visuals that day alone. We can compare the K-zoo and Madison shows directly having been at both - wow - HUGE improvement in playing, marching, visuals, guard - so very impressive. There is still cleaning they can do - and there is evidently a lot more they plan on adding, plus the new ending. The crowd reaction to the Scouts was fabulous - immediate standing ovation from a lot of the crowd, unlike that for several later corps. :tongue: So the crowds are responding well and that should feed the guys some additional spirit. They pulled out of K-Zoo about 11:30, so should have a good rehearsal day again today before their show. A few competition-free days coming up again before Denver to add the new closer.

As to the discipline question - I can only say the cymbal line is setting a high bar. They march in formation until the uniform comes off - couldn't even get near my son until they had changed and put uniforms away. Cymbal line hands are pretty ripped up - any cymbal alums out there have ideas on a salve or something we could send the guys? Oh yeah, they did lose a cymbal guy right before Cedarburg and they are re-writing drill to fill the whole.

I thought they whole corps looked great and the uniforms fit better now as well and look sharp - and they fit the theme of the music. I only wish the guard would keep their jackets on - I don't see the point of taking them off since what's underneath doesn't look that great. Maybe there is more planned for them in the new closer? I don't know...

We took a set of care packages for any guys who need them and gaterade for our cymbal guys.

Hope some of you going to shows in the south can give us Northern parents details on the shows - we'll be in withdrawl until the quarterfinals!

Go Scouts!!!! :beer:

Cymbalmom (Beth De Stasio)

Thanks for the report Cymbalmom. The guy's sure love that real gaterade.

One more day till my Wife and I leave for tour !!!!!!! I we try to keep some updates on here from the road. Not quite sure I can , but will try.

Every time I see the show I like it even more ! It will only get bettter as the guys start understanding the show more and more. Here is a story that may explane what I ment by that. The guy's that marched in 1981 will know what I an talking about. It was 2 days before pre-lems, (showing my age), and we did a run at the end of rehersal that was very good. When we came together the staff told us that it was the first time we had really knew what the show was all about. The opener mainly. The next night we did a show for the Crossmen and they did their show for us that was our best show of the year. We knew all the little things that made the show GREAT. Our guy's this year WILL get there ! When they do , WATCH OUT !

Bye for now,

Bill & Tracy Leslie