The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

A corps with a 70 year history is one thing, but for those 70 years to be as impassioned and tumultuous as the Madison Scouts has been, and then to expect a higher virtue to magically appear is no different then throwing red meat into a lions den and expecting no response.

Jerry, when the conversation degraded last night to name-calling for mispelled words, it clearly went across the line. The My Adminstration Was Better Than Your Administration topic has gone too far... Sure, everyone has their opinions, but there are ways to discuss them without calling each other (or the prior administration) names.

Hindsight is always absolutely perfect, and your personal experience will always be better from your point of view than what someone else experienced under a different adminstration.

It would be refreshing if this discussion would at least evolve from the Piranha level to the Neanderthal level... at least the red meat would be cooked a bit before going into a complete feeding frenzy.

Edited by Linda Slocum

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of bringing this discussion back to the present day....

My family and I are in Kalamazoo, MI for the show tonight. Does anyone know where the Scouts are being houseWhether they will stay over tonight or hit the road. We've put together care packages for the cymbal line and want to deliver them. If anyone is interested in how the Scouts look tonight :thumbup: I'll be happy to post a recap tomorrow when I get to a computer....

This is our last chance to see a show before quarterfinals, so I hope others will keep us posted on how this year's group looks on the field as the season progresses!

THanks,

cymbalmom from Appleton

My family and I are in Kalamazoo, MI for the show tonight. Does anyone know where the Scouts are being houseWhether they will stay over tonight or hit the road. We've put together care packages for the cymbal line and want to deliver them.

Chris K posted this on the Kalamazoo thread:

5-Jul

Kalamazoo, MI

Housing:

Mattawan HS

56720 Murray St.

Mattawan, MI 49071

Fields: 3 (Stadium)

Rehearsal: 8hrs

Leave: 5:45 PM

Show:

WMU's Waldo Stadium

1903 W. Michigan Ave.

Kalamaxoo, MI 49007

Travel to Show: 30min

DCI Kalamazoo - 5:50 Start

Madison Scouts - 8:16 PP

ETD: 11:30 PM

Agreed. Take it outside, gentlemen and/or ladies. You can't be a Scouts fan without having a strong opinion about the corp's past and how it affects the current organization, but it doesn't have to dominate the discussion or enjoyment of the current corps. I'm as anxious as anyone to see the Scouts return to their rightful place of prominence in the activity :thumbup: , but that's dependent upon how the current BOD, staff, volunteers and members work together, not on staff who are no longer here. Learn from the past, but don't live in it.

Go Scouts!!!

Well this thread is now over 148 pages long. Its a little difficult to keep it going that long on "Go Scouts". The great majority of the posters here apart from a few are here because of their love and passion for the Madison Scouts. And lets face it you cant really talk about the Scouts today or their current fortunes without touching on their past. In my case I used this as a launching point for an anti DCI rant because I see some contributing factors. But Ill lay that argument aside for a different thread and just say

"Go SCOUTS!"

It's all good. All the arrangers mentioned are great. We may be leaving out one of the greatest of all time in Ray Baumgart. I got to know Ray a little, and while I never wanted to move to Idaho, he was brilliant.

Ah something we agree on! In fact Id go as far as to say that 1979 was his best program ever, despite the drop in placement for Madison.

Baumgart definitely created a unique Madison sound, very bottom heavy, which as a baritone I approved of!

It's been about an hour now sence I watched the Cedarburg show on the fan network and I have a few thoughts running through my head. Not the Ya'll want to know or even care, but here go's .

I really like the fact that our show is not like so many others ie; Horns and drum and guard are together most of the time. Not horns and drums over there and the guard over there doin' their stuff while the horns and drums stand and play.

I really like the book ! All the musical elements carry the program.

I like the unis. I'm not in love with them, but I do like them. For me they are missing something., not sure what it is.

Keep on cleanin' and the Scout's have a winner !

GO SCOUTS !

Bill

Speaking of current events, I heard that Cadets did a revamp of their show which ended up finding the services of 6 of their color guard no longer necessary. So they cut them. And I also understand at least one of them walked over to Scouts and has joined their guard. Anyone confirm this?

Has anyone watched the Cedarburg video on the Fan Network yet? Seems a lot more energy in the performance overall, although the soloists are still having "issues" and there's still a bit more cleaning to do.

I'd like to see more of the sass that we saw from the guard in the 1995 show... hopefully they'll continue to tweak the guard's drills.

I watched BD, Phantom, SCV, PC and Academy last night at the Rose Bowl... LOTS of fillers in the SCV guard, by my count about 1/3. They make the rifle/sabre lines look bigger, but are just doing the moves and not the equipment. These people don't even do all the flag work.

Scerpella, Madison did add 2 guard this week... I heard one was from WGI, not sure of the other.

Has anyone watched the Cedarburg video on the Fan Network yet? Seems a lot more energy in the performance overall, although the soloists are still having "issues" and there's still a bit more cleaning to do.

I'd like to see more of the sass that we saw from the guard in the 1995 show... hopefully they'll continue to tweak the guard's drills.

I watched BD, Phantom, SCV, PC and Academy last night at the Rose Bowl... LOTS of fillers in the SCV guard, by my count about 1/3. They make the rifle/sabre lines look bigger, but are just doing the moves and not the equipment. These people don't even do all the flag work.

Scerpella, Madison did add 2 guard this week... I heard one was from WGI, not sure of the other.

I know that one of them came from a HS guard that a Kiltie member teaches in WI.

so much for the validity and binding agreement of drum corps "contracts" from the corps side of the agreement, huh? :thumbup: