The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Did he get the Piggly Wiggly T-Shirt? You know those are prized possessions.

omg. piggly wiggly day. the greatest day EVER (besides finals day).

i still have my shirt. we don't have piggly wiggly's in lexington, so people are quite confused by it.

from what i remember, ageouts are the only ones who get shirts.

Edited by ScoutSpinner03

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember they had chocolate chip cookies for the guys that were as big as frisbees. Yumm.

I don't think he's anywhere near the great ones. The greatest arrangers, in my opinion, are Jay Bocook, JD Shaw, Michael Klesch, and Key Poulan.

and wayne downey, jim prime, jim ott and and scott boerma don't even make your short list? i don't think you're earning much credibility here. fyi, people have been arranging music for drum corps for more than the last 5 years. some of them were actually pretty good at it.

and wayne downey, jim prime, jim ott and and scott boerma don't even make your short list? i don't think you're earning much credibility here. fyi, people have been arranging music for drum corps for more than the last 5 years. some of them were actually pretty good at it.

And Dean Westman and Gordon Henderson. I don't really like Downey's arrangements... I have been watching DCI for a while, actually, and those guys I listed are the only ones whose arrangements really grabbed my attention.

Edited by cmathis

And Dean Westman and Gordon Henderson. I don't really like Downey's arrangements... I have been watching DCI for a while, actually, and those guys I listed are the only ones whose arrangements really grabbed my attention.

It's all good. All the arrangers mentioned are great. We may be leaving out one of the greatest of all time in Ray Baumgart. I got to know Ray a little, and while I never wanted to move to Idaho, he was brilliant.

It's all good. All the arrangers mentioned are great. We may be leaving out one of the greatest of all time in Ray Baumgart. I got to know Ray a little, and while I never wanted to move to Idaho, he was brilliant.

I haven't heard of him... Who did he arrange for?

Times have changed. Scott Stewart was a great director for his era, maybe one of the best of all time, but you can't run a drum corps in 2008 like it's 1990 and expect to be successful.

The way you say it Scott is back in history. Sal followed Scott. If youre going to impugn current staff as "just in it for a paycheck" then you have to look at the fact that Sal took the job directly after Scott for 3 times what he got.

Man, you are Dead On!

Your statement is a clear example of what I believe to be a disturbing incremental trend in drum corps. What is this dangerous habit I speak of? Absolutely No interest, acknowledgment or understanding of drum corps history. If you were brand new to this web site and a new-be to drum corps and you only based your point of reference of truth to everything you read on DCP, you'd probably come away believing that drum corps has only been around for 10 years or so. I believe this trend is due to those newest to our activity that wrongly and consistently make blanket statements as "fact" based solely upon their extraordinarily limited drum corps exposure. Shockingly, many of these same individuals lack even a modicum of humility as they often brazenly lecture those that have come before them as self proclaimed experts only to find out they marched drum corps for the first time last summer with 3 years of marching band. Sadly, these same individuals tend to conclude that if it doesn't come from their era, it just doesn't measure up! More so, this problem just doesn't lie with the new-be's, it's also coming from their parents as well. NOW....I realize this is a tough pill for some to consider, but, please, I beg of you to not simply write me off.......To ensure a healthy drum corps future, take the time to listen and watch the performances that came before you (even way back to those boring 70's). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and you just might even add a few more recordings, corps, arrangers and designers to your list of favorites.