Bloomington, we have a problem

I seriously doubt a hole that isn't even on the field is going to cause DCI to move.

Don't know much about sink holes do ya. They can double in size weekly and any area within 75 yards is considered unstable. Ok I just made that up but #### it sounded good.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert, but my guess is it would be localized. The way I understand sinkholes (and this is entirely amateur research on Wikipedia) is that it's usually just a "washing out" of whatever's underground and then with no more support the ground falls in. In this case, heavy rains have eroded the ground, but since it's not a continual thing--there aren't any underground streams under memorial stadium--the damage shouldn't get too much worse.

Since further erosion probably isn't unlikely, and since I imagine there's some sort of foundation under there, it seems like the repairs involved wouldn't be too bad. If nothing else, they can get it done in three months.

:lol: This championship is beginning to look snakebit, isn't it? Repeat after me... it's not going to rain for three days straight... it's not going to rain for three days straight... I wonder if Murfreesboro is available.

Or Jackson, MS? It never rains there...

"Not only did the Cadets drop .4 points from quarters to semi's but they lost half the soprano section in the huge sinkhole on the 35 yard line..."

"...and still got a 10 in visual performance."

Shades of Whitewater in 84!

Garry in Vegas

Hey Mike...I'll come throw you a ladder when you start sinking. Either that, or I'll toss you your laptop and you can do an article from the watery depths. Maybe an exploratory article on allowing water effects on the field?

DCI is surely getting challenged this year. I sure wouldn't want to be anyone working there this year.

Well, a couple years ago the office had to deal with the Allentown upper deck situation and re-ticketing and moving major shows from Kalamazoo and Murfreesboro. And they came through with flying colors.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=2080

From TFA: The sunken part of the field, just past the south end zone, is perhaps 10 feet long by eight feet wide, and is close to two feet deep in spots. There are other ripples in the field running through the end zone to the 6-yard line.

If it was in the center of the field instead of merely being at the end, the drill writers could experience with ripple drill.