6-18 Blue Stars Preview Show

I think it's to early to make a prediction on this show until I see it live...I wasn't as impressed with what I saw on the video, but of course seeing it live might make a big difference.

The music didn't seem challenging enough (IMO). I'd like to see a little more difficulty.

Handy cams tend to not do much justice. :tongue:

Not difficult enough? Riiight.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's to early to make a prediction on this show until I see it live...I wasn't as impressed with what I saw on the video, but of course seeing it live might make a big difference.

The music didn't seem challenging enough (IMO). I'd like to see a little more difficulty.

I really hope you'll have the opportunity to see them in person at some point this season. I think you will change your opinion.

I have traveled around the midwest the past several early summers checking out preseason stuff. Decided to finally jump on DCP and give my impressions. I marched back in the day but have stayed with the activity since and I am not a "has to old school to be good" fan. Saw Glassmen a few days ago and wrote a review the day after. That gave me time to let things settle in and for me to not overreact. Thought I would do the same for Blue Stars.

Blue Stars first, then a comparison to Glassmen.

Overall first impression was strong and remains so a day later. They are better than this time last year...much better.

Guard. Improved and big (42 I think). Someone mentioned two girls were out finishing HS stuff. Up close the costume seemed odd, but it works on the field and in the show. Some VERY clean moments already and some that will of course take more time. Some real good ensemble moments. They make a much bigger contribution to GE than last year already.

Battery and pit. Wow, so much variety. At time very light and tasteful and at times rockin' in your face. They seem to be overplaying right now, but that sometimes is the philosophy as hands get used to technique and playing so much everyday. Pit mallet choices seemed plinky for certain moments. Battery really movin and playing at the same time.

Drill. Dirty of course, but theme set up well with good equal variety of staging for all three sections (drums, guard, horns). Several VERY strong full ensemble GE effects. Demand for horns maybe a little low overall, though not bad. A few staging issues that hurt timing.

Horns: LOUD, LOUD, ENERGETIC, CONFIDENT. This section of the corps impressed me (and seemingly everyone else) the most of anything. Demand up from last year but seems to need more to be a shoe in for the corps that they seem to have the guns to surpass.

That leads me to a comparison to Glassmen at family day.

Though I saw Blue Stars a few days later (more practice), they seem clearly ahed of Glassmen. Mostly in confidence, presence, and showmanship.

Guard-Glassmen slight edge

Drums and pit-Glassmen slight edge

Drill-Blue Stars BIG lead

Horns-Blue Stars HUGE lead

Show Concept-Blue Stars moderate edge

Overall-Stars just seem to be selling it so much more, especially compared to the hornline performance. As I said in my review of Glassmen, though it is early season, Glassmen sound scared in warm up and in the show. Blue Stars seem very confident and full, rich, exciting. The Blue Stars seem to have the lead overall. Right now I can not imagine them NOT making finals.

would it be a sin to say that i enjoy narration and would like to see it used in shows?!?!?

No... Everything in moderation and in good taste...

I have traveled around the midwest the past several early summers checking out preseason stuff. Decided to finally jump on DCP and give my impressions. I marched back in the day but have stayed with the activity since and I am not a "has to old school to be good" fan. Saw Glassmen a few days ago and wrote a review the day after. That gave me time to let things settle in and for me to not overreact. Thought I would do the same for Blue Stars.

Blue Stars first, then a comparison to Glassmen.

Overall first impression was strong and remains so a day later. They are better than this time last year...much better.

Guard. Improved and big (42 I think). Someone mentioned two girls were out finishing HS stuff. Up close the costume seemed odd, but it works on the field and in the show. Some VERY clean moments already and some that will of course take more time. Some real good ensemble moments. They make a much bigger contribution to GE than last year already.

Battery and pit. Wow, so much variety. At time very light and tasteful and at times rockin' in your face. They seem to be overplaying right now, but that sometimes is the philosophy as hands get used to technique and playing so much everyday. Pit mallet choices seemed plinky for certain moments. Battery really movin and playing at the same time.

Drill. Dirty of course, but theme set up well with good equal variety of staging for all three sections (drums, guard, horns). Several VERY strong full ensemble GE effects. Demand for horns maybe a little low overall, though not bad. A few staging issues that hurt timing.

Horns: LOUD, LOUD, ENERGETIC, CONFIDENT. This section of the corps impressed me (and seemingly everyone else) the most of anything. Demand up from last year but seems to need more to be a shoe in for the corps that they seem to have the guns to surpass.

That leads me to a comparison to Glassmen at family day.

Though I saw Blue Stars a few days later (more practice), they seem clearly ahed of Glassmen. Mostly in confidence, presence, and showmanship.

Guard-Glassmen slight edge

Drums and pit-Glassmen slight edge

Drill-Blue Stars BIG lead

Horns-Blue Stars HUGE lead

Show Concept-Blue Stars moderate edge

Overall-Stars just seem to be selling it so much more, especially compared to the hornline performance. As I said in my review of Glassmen, though it is early season, Glassmen sound scared in warm up and in the show. Blue Stars seem very confident and full, rich, exciting. The Blue Stars seem to have the lead overall. Right now I can not imagine them NOT making finals.

Very nice review.

I saw the Blue Stars last year at about the same time, right before the first show. The improvement is very noticeable. The visual show and the guard are MUCH better this year. The horns and drums are improved as well. In my opinion, the Blue Stars have made a big move up in quality of design and performance. I cannot wait to see how they do this weekend against competition.

Not trying to bash the Blue Stars...big fan here...but.....don't the guard uniforms look a lot like the Cavaliers when they did Spin Cycle??

The guard will be getting new jerseys as the year goes on. More color, divided into "teams", etc. It is hard to over state how much better the Blue Stars are visually this year over last.

I am excited to see them in the next couple of weeks. The only thing I am not excited about is those spandex guard uniforms. I didn't care for them on Glassmen, Cavies or any other corps/marching bands that have used them.

I think Blue Stars have a good chance of making finals, although all of the corps in that 10-15 group seem like they are really coming out of the gate strong. Here's to a fantastic summer of drum corps. Whether Blue Stars place top 12 or not, I think I am really gonna love this show.

Go Blue Stars!!!!!

I'd love to see them back in the top 12 this year.

Fran