Barb Haring

As the 2008 season begins, it seems appropriate to reflect on how fragile life really is and how we should all hug our family, love our drum corps and be thankful that you have another day.

John F. Kennedy wrote "Profiles in Courage" a book about survival and perserverance.

Tonight, Barb Haring is in Wildwood on the Jersey Shore attending a drum corps show and showing us all her own "Profile in Courage". It is not only the first show of the year, but it is Barb's first show since suffering a major stroke that came oh so very close to ending her life at a VERY premature age. Barb is a fighter. She refused to give up. She had and has the courage to survive beyond all odds. I'm sure that if you had told her doctors that she would be attending a drum corps show this evening - on her own two feet - they would have rolled their eyes in disbelief.

Tonight, she is sitting next to her husband - DCA Announcer Fran Haring - pointing to the right words and keeping him from screwing up as she has done for the last 25 years and is doing so on Fran's 50th Birthday. Barb still has a long road of rehab ahead, but the courage it has taken for Barb to be at Wildwood this night should make all of us in the drum corps activity proud. After all, she is one of us, born into a drum corps family and married her drum corps sweetheart. She is OUR "Profile in Courage".

Welcome back Barb....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great posting. Marching with Barb for years...this means all the more to me. Thank you for posting this..

Makes me wish I could have been at the show this evening to not only celebrate the first show of the season but Fran's birthday and Barb's courage as well.

This is her first outdoor show, as she was at Serenade in Brass in April, but it's great to hear she made the trip up.

And I hope she made old man jokes to the birthday boy all night!!!

Thank you for the inside story at Wildwood Tom. Hits me from both sides as I marched with Barb in the late 70s. Also had a family member who had a major stroke in 1990 and have experienced first hand how this affects the whole family. Believe me Barb being a fighter mades a big difference as attitude means a lot.

To Barb, Fran and anyone else who has helped since this has happened.. :lookaround:

God Bless Fran and Barb, As the saying goes, "when you are going through hell keep on going."

The spirit that both Fran and Barb have show this year is truely a great story.

See you in Rochester Barb if not before. I need alot of help givng out I&E Medals.

Happy birthday Fran.

Tom, I take back all the dirt I've dished ya'. Gargantuan gonzo post!!!

Here's to a trooper, a magnificent lady!!!

[Reminds me to pack RayBans to tolerate exposure to Barb's elder hubby.]

Great post Tom..........about one of our own........a great kind and wonderful person who has shown great courage and resilience with her recent tribulation. We can and should continue to keep her (and Fran) in our prayers. Unfotunately I didn't get to see her last night, but was glad that she picked such a less than obscene shirt for Fran.............you looked mahvelous my friend.........Happy Birthday

Joe

It was great seeing Barbara and Fran last evening at Kelly's and as they arrived Friday evening. Keep up the good progress, Barb, and happy 50th, Fran!

Woo hoo!

Welcome back, Barb ... and keep your eye on Fran! ;-)