Concord Show: ONLINE On-Demand

Hmmm...Interesting.

I'm not sure I understand either show, (maybe I'm too old school), but anyways, from my general impressions:

I enjoy SCV's drum book over BD's. Although I think BD played more together.

I think ensemble music goes to BD. They just had more of a mature sound tonight.

SCV's music remindes me of BD 97.

Guard by both groups were great...with the edge to BD.

BD's last tune...I remember it from that Futurama episode with Seymore the dog "I will wait for you" (youtube)

Entire package (from a show design standpoint) goes to BD. Not to say that SCV will not clean up, I'm sure they will, and I look forward to the closer?

Good times!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried taking a full screen pic of the video to better illustrate the cape/sash/whatever it is, but the quality was garbage. Sorry.

Whomever made the comment about size: I had that reaction, too. I don't know if it's just going to take a while to get used to 150 people on the field, but it looked like a lot. I pray they don't increase the maximum again - I'd say 150 is TOPS. With BD's show, it almost felt like 40+ guard was too many. But that could have been a function of (A) staging, and (B) crappy quality online video. It may seem better live.

But how freaking sweet is it that we get to watch videos of the corps ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE SEASON??? Pretty darn sweet, if you ask me.

Just saw Mandarins... they got some rockin tunes. I like them! Go TOMORROW!

I tried taking a full screen pic of the video to better illustrate the cape/sash/whatever it is, but the quality was garbage. Sorry.

Whomever made the comment about size: I had that reaction, too. I don't know if it's just going to take a while to get used to 150 people on the field, but it looked like a lot. I pray they don't increase the maximum again - I'd say 150 is TOPS. With BD's show, it almost felt like 40+ guard was too many. But that could have been a function of (A) staging, and (B) crappy quality online video. It may seem better live.

But how freaking sweet is it that we get to watch videos of the corps ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE SEASON??? Pretty darn sweet, if you ask me.

Yeah I made that comment earlier about the corps looking huge. I just saw Mandarins and if they are still on the 135-member "rule" they look a WHOLE lot smaller. EDIT: NM, they have less than 135

Edited by NeutralNovice

Initial impressions based off video:

BD: They're doing some interesting stuff, very new things I haven't seen of field. Drums are playing a heck of a lot of notes. BD brass is, well, vintage BD. Music arrangements are great, lots of excitement. Colorguard is quite good; I can't really tell from the broadcast, but during the second production, CG on rifles are doing some insane stuff, tossing to one another and what not. The only problem I have with the show is the use of those poles; it makes the show looks messy and cluttered.

SCV: Drill is great, I'm surprised by how clean SCV is early on in the season. Visual package is very integrated between the brass, drumline, and CG; nice things going on. The Triangle is their visual motif this year (with its 3hree sides and all). CG is impressive, opening flag statement was CLEAN, and the rifle work is quite good. There has been major hype surrounding their 6 tenors, and it seems that its mostly warranted; though it seems like the snares weren't playing confidently. Kept waiting for them to throw down, but was a little underwhelmed.

Best thing: SCV's 2nd production.... it's HOT!!

Warning: This is negative!

Santa Clara Vanguard:

Awesome music but they don't connect well with each other. Major ensemble problems musically. People are saying BD has a tougher show, listen again to all the runs that are in SCV's show!!! This show has a lot more demand in my opinion that BD does.

It seems as if the 3Hree refers to three sections or bodies that are all connected. I say this because there were times when a contra was in the guard dancing the same, and at the same time a tenor drum I believe was in the hornline. I didn't like that at all, I thought it looked really wierd, plus the contra stood on the sideline for a good 30 seconds before he went out with the guard. I found it really distracting because I wasn't sure if he was new or what.

The show starts off really slow, but I liked the guard work at the beginning. The movement Body was definitely the best. They weren't lying when they said Indian-Fusion-Pop. But the drum beat went on alittle too long at the end I thought. The drill was good and it was obvious that they were hauling but nothing special jumped out unlike 2006 and 2007. I will say that I think Pete Weber does an awesome job of reusing classic Myron moves in a new way, keeping the history present!

Overall a lot of notes for the brass!! If they can fix up the ensemble and clean the brass they might have a contending show. But that is a lot of notes to clean plus the demand of the drill is still up there.

Blue Devils:

Huh?

People running around randomly.....it reminds me a lot of PR 2007 with the "bird flocking" in the sense that it seems they were stuck and had to keep using it to get them out of the jam. The brass sounds loud, but they play the same thing for the longest time!!!

This show seems to have A.D.D in it because it moves on to a new idea so quickly that you just can't focus. Who knows, maybe it cleans up and starts to make more sense but after watching it I literally said to myself "what?".

Edit: Also, I thought in general BD's drumline was dirty! Especially one part, forgot when, but it was shocking how bad it sounded. Maybe it was just first show nerves, or maybe it's just we gotta work on our triplet diddles :lookaround: . SCV's drumline....WHY MUST YOU GIVE IN TO THE BODY VISUALS WHILE PLAYING!!! I hate how in order to be an awesome line today you have to add visuals, what ever happen to just throwing down the sickest notes and not giving two s**ts about anybody!!! I prefer a clean line with no visuals or a dirty line with awesome visuals......sorry for the rant.

Edited by AzEuph

also:

SCV.

Holy crap will this show be good in August.

ABSOLUTELY! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Wow, I think some of you are overthinking BD.

What's not to get? It's a show about acrobats. The POLES are the poles the high wire people use to keep balance. Look at the beginning as the guard balances on the yardlines!

There are lots of "high wire balance" things thrown in. Watch the hornline players with their legs up.

I love the guard uniforms too. Neat stuff. Wish I could get a better view of the whole corps though.

SCV...wow cool drill....lots to clean musically as well as visually. Saw a guy take a tumble and get back in. Saw a few guys miss direction changes and nearly get mowed over. This was most definitely a "first show". They could be dangerous when they get everything comfortable. We'll see. I don't like the first tune too much. Too "minimalistic" for my tastes.

However there is a 13 or 14 person line of special drums featured in the opener.

Those drums you are referring to are called "Shime Daiko"...at least, that is the proper Japanese name. I'm not sure what Remo is calling them these days. The drums Bluecoats used are closer to a Middle Eastern descent, I believe, rather than Japanese.

Wow, I think some of you are overthinking BD.

What's not to get? It's a show about acrobats. The POLES are the poles the high wire people use to keep balance. Look at the beginning as the guard balances on the yardlines!

There are lots of "high wire balance" things thrown in. Watch the hornline players with their legs up.

No I get the high wire balance act....but where does the running around come into that? Also, I just noticed the very end when the guard curls up in the top that their poles make a person and the guard is a head, looks like they are falling.

This show reminds me a lot of RCC 08 this year! And also seems to be designed like a winter show. The tenor feature taken from RX I'm guessing they are going to add a lot more movement to the drums because right now they don't move much.