2008 Cadets show

Go back a little further buddy. He brought up Adolf Hitler in a post replying to me.

I'm not a buddy in the "male friend" sense of the word. Go back a little further lady or chick (I don't find that term as offensive as others do ) would work if you want to find a label for me that is snide. :lookaround:

Yes he did. He did not say anything about mass genocide and narration that was chaddyt who said

"I just get a kick out of how many people seem to feel that mass-genocide and narration in drum corps are in the same spectrum of evil." That was an interpretation.

The original poster was using Hilter as a way to say that people don't need to have first hand experience to judge something.

Like I said, ever gone to see a movie or not gone to see a movie based on a critic's, reviewer's or friend's opinion?

Edited by kwanswan

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he did. He did not say anything about mass genocide and narration that was chaddyt who said

"I just get a kick out of how many people seem to feel that mass-genocide and narration in drum corps are in the same spectrum of evil." That was an interpretation.

The original poster was using Hilter as a way to say that people don't need to have first hand experience to judge something.

Like I said, ever gone to see a movie or not gone to see a movie based on a critic's, reviewer's or friend's opinion?

Well my apologies for misinterpreting what he said.

I have gone to a movie based on a critic or reviewer's opinion, but I have NOT said anything good or bad about that particular movie until I have gone to see it. I wait until I have seen it and then I make my comments on it. So what is your point?

Edited by 2000Cadet

Well my apologies for misinterpreting what he said.

I have gone to a movie based on a critic or reviewer's opinion, but I have NOT said anything good or bad about that particular movie until I have gone to see it. I wait until I have seen it and then I make my comments on it. So what is your point?

My point is that people can choose to engage something or not based on what they hear from other people's opninions.

I don't think there very many posters that said they hated the show before they saw it. Rather most have said something along the lines of I haven't seen it but if it is what people say I don't think it is good or they have expressed no desire to see the show now (which isn't that different than not seeing a movie based on a review's opinion).

If there were posters who had never seen a minute of the show live or otherwise who did express hate for it without admitting they hadn't seen it then I apologize.

My point is that people can choose to engage something or not based on what they hear from other people's opninions.

I don't think there very many posters that said they hated the show before they saw it. Rather most have said something along the lines of I haven't seen it but if it is what people say I don't think it is good or they have expressed no desire to see the show now (which isn't that different than not seeing a movie based on a review's opinion).

If there were posters who had never seen a minute of the show live or otherwise who did express hate for it without admitting they hadn't seen it then I apologize.

I respect anyone's opinion to see or not see the cadets... but in all honesty people ... IT'S JUNE.... have you ever seen the cadets in june? If there was a corps that i'd say had the MOST changes/improvements in one show from june to august it would be the cadets.

Actually, there was one poster (actually there were two, but the other was in another thread, and I will not point them out because that's not my thing) who said they hate the show before they've seen it. That is from where this whole conversation started. I understand your point. I still don't think it is fair to judge certain things before you've seen them, but I do understand your point.

I respect anyone's opinion to see or not see the cadets... but in all honesty people ... IT'S JUNE.... have you ever seen the cadets in june? If there was a corps that i'd say had the MOST changes/improvements in one show from june to august it would be the cadets.

True.

Okay, let's get a little simpler then. Would it be fair for me to pre-judge you seeing as how we have never met in person, gotten a bite to eat, or done anything outside of talking about Cadets over an internet forum? I wouldn't think it would be fair. Hell, you're probably a very cool guy.

hmmm..that's a cool question.

i'm sure you'd have some type of pre-conceived notion, because i'm so adamant about how the Cadets have used narration lately. However, I don't really have much of a verifiable history here on dcp...at least on matters other than me being anti-narration/anti-electronics. You could probably pre-judge me fairly accurately on those counts, however. It would probably be unfair to pre-judge any other aspects about me, however. If I was talking about the history of the Cadets, my tune would be different. They were my favorite corps for 2 decades. Overall, my judgment of the Cadets is at least Grade A-, if not a full A. The innovation they have brought to this genre...the excitement...the sounds..the precision...the "raising of the bar". None of that can be denied. However, my judgments brought about on this topic is about the Cadets recent history...last 3 years, and heavily based on last year.

Pre-judging this years Cadets show is a much easier thing to do than pre-judging a person, when you only know one aspect of their mentality. The cadets have a recent history replete with horrible narration (in my and many other's opinions), and by watching clips of this years show, reading reviews of intelligent people, and the fore-mentioned history, making an accurate deduction isn't that hard to do...

I understand why most people get angry on this site. Everyone on this site is extremely PASSIONATE about drum corps. People want their passion to be what they want it to be. MikeD's beliefs are different than mine, and we fuss at each other about it in the appropriate forums. His methods of expressing his opinions are different than my way of expressing personal opinions. Do I like his opinions? nope...do I respect his right to state those opinions? yup. That's how we all learn...the rational discourse of differing opinions. Will I ever change his mind? nope...will he ever change my mind? nope The only entity that can change my mind on Cadets narration is the Cadets. When then don't make narration the focus of the show, don't bore me with life issues, and don't cover up that delicious hornline, then I might just change my mind. (ok...don't hold your breath on that one, but it might be possible)

20-25 years later, I'm still very disappointed that I was either not allowed to participate in a corps, or was unable to participate in a corp. Passion always brings out the very best, and the very worst in people. Money is like that for some people. Greed and blackmail vs. charitable works. Now, I may be the world's worst person in trying to use comparisons to make a point. I tend to go overboard to make a point. (ok...I tend to go a lot overboard)

Cool guy? ehh..maybe...if the planets ever align, and dinner or beverages make themselves available to us...I'm a steak guy...and I drink mass quantities of Jaeger :lookaround:

I am not the least bit hesitant to comment about this show, even though I have not seen or heard any of it, live, internet, etc.

You see, the fact that I haven't seen them yet, is commentary alone.

Over the past 7-8 years, I would have seen the Cadets live at least twice by now. This year I had no desire.

I would certainly have had my tickets for Clifton by now, but not this year. Only my desire to see BAC and Crown is tempting me. We will probably check out one of those two rehearsals, then find a high speed connection for the CA webcast.

Several years ago, when YEA started their music is cool days, my daughters couldn't wait to be old enough to participate in one. This is the first year they could attend, and they will not be going. They want to do one, but with BD or PR.

The troubling thing is that the Cadets staff does not care. The director thrives on controversy and the attention it brings HIM.

He subjected his kids to one of the most brutal booing attacks in Finals week history last year. Not because the reasoning behind hashgate was unsound, but because of the way HE handled it. He is so remorseful for getting his kids bood, that he calls his blog this year "hashmarks". Nice.

When you march in a drum corps, you really hope for 2 things to happen. You want the judges to reward exceptional perfomance and design, you want to win. But probably more important, you want to bring the crowd to their feet. As many times as possible. Anyone who has marched who says different is lying.

The staff has put the marching members, some very talented kids, in a position where they will have trouble experiencing that.

Whenever fans start speaking in terms of "just go get a hot dog if you don't like it", I am sure they do not speak for the kids that work their ***es off all summer.

I will watch the Cadets BOA presentation from Madison tomorrow night via webcast. Kinda like checking out an accident in the other lane as you pass by. I AM SURE I will not like it. I have seen enough of last year to know that.

Football fans want football, not soccer.

Baseball fans want baseball, not kickball.

Drum corps fans want drum corps, not marching band.

wow your take on hashgate and mine are identical. i have to buy you a beer

That's the point. Sorry, but using Hitler as an example is weak to begin with..This thread is about a drum corps show right?

And I for one don't let people make my decisions for me. If I want to see a movie, I will go see it to judge for myself. I don't want to live my life as a sheep. But that's just me.

Well, The Cadets are a drum corps...one of the very best in the world.

actually their director when changing rules the other year called them a marching band.

oops. gotta hate when people remember that