petition to fire Marie Czapinski!

Here is how I am looking at this whole thing: If BAC was judged harshly by one judge last night, then they should bounce back at the next competition. If they were judged fairly, then the scores will hold. Either way, it is what it is. i just can't help looking at that re-cap and thinking that if they would have scored in Visual GE last night where they had been, the spread between 3rd and 5th place from last night's show would be significantly less, which means BAC held their ground in all of the other captions. Should be an interesting week to say the least. :worthy:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't upset me. It's about time we saw some variety to the "oh, they came in Xth place last year, so they must be good" judging. I found BC's visual to be boring and repetitive last night. If I was judging, I just might have put them there too. Just because they were a finalist last year does not automatically mean they have a great show. In 40+ years of drum corps, I've seen alot of shows and, frankly, that one just did not do it for me.

Keep Marie, and let's wake the rest of the judges up from their "slotting" comas.

(PS: I judged a litle back in the 80's, so I know of what I speak).

REALLY!!!

From what I saw, no way should BAC be beating Cadets in this caption. No way. So maybe their scores from 5 days earlier were way too high.

Maybe the score should be somewhere in the middle, between where they were scored 5 days ago, and where they were scored last night.

Why is it we see WIDE swings in placements and scores with Corps outside the top 6.

But not at the TOP ?

When was the last time a Corps won a caption, then less than 5 days later finished WAY off the top in that caption ?

I don't know how long you've been following this activity, HockeyDad, but the answer is.....

None. Not a drop such as this, anyway.

Wide placements and scoring happen to Corps below the top 6.

Do you think the Cadets will drop in GE Visual like this in scoring and placement compared to other Corps in any show this year ?

Not a chance, my friend.

Edited by BRASSO

How does one go from beating the Cadets.......

to barely beating Pioneer in the same caption 5 days later ?

My guess would be either sheer, unadulterated incompetence or / miraculous improvement on the part of Pioneer.

So, either fire her..............or give Pioneer an award!

I agree her scores look really suspect... how could she think that's accurate? I thought their show was visually effective moreso than the glassmen.

FYI- If boston would have scored up around 5th place in vis ge (probably a much more accurate placement) they would have had around a 72.5.

Why is it we see WIDE swings in placements and scores with Corps outside the top 6.
Possible answers to that question:

--) There's a lot more room in the scores between 0 and 70, than 70 and [current upper end score allowed in judges' minds].

--) Corps in the top 6 are more "equally good" than the corps below are "equal" at all.

--) Lower corps *are* less consistent then elites.

--) The judge made a mistake (it happens)

How many of you have brought a new person to see a drum corps show, only to have them conclude "I don't know how the judges can decide. Clearly, these X corps are better than these Y corps, but to tell them apart? NO way." My point is that it's usually pretty easy to tell who the elite are, but not to discern amongst them.

This thread is very funny to me.

We have threads complaining about "slotting". We have threads complaining about Marie NOT slotting. So? What is it? What do you want?

I applaud her for calling it like she saw it. She was judging honestly....not using outside influence and previous results to help her put a number down. Bravo to her. She has more guts than most DCI judges. Do I agree with her decisions all the time? No. She had 2000 Cavaliers in 3rd in GE Visual at finals and cost them an outright championship. I don't agree with that placement, but hats off to her for making a call.

" My point is that it's usually pretty easy to tell who the elite are, but not to discern amongst them.

But thats just it...BAC has been placed in that elite group since the season started with their scoring. This placement however removes them from that elite group and drops them back down in the rat race. You yourself have confirmed everyones point in an attempt to disuade our arguments. how can you take a corps that has established themselves and kick them back to the curb? No offense to Pioneer but I dont' think anyone here would argue that there is a considerable gab between Pioneer and BAC right now.

No. She had 2000 Cavaliers in 3rd in GE Visual at finals and cost them an outright championship. I don't agree with that placement, but hats off to her for making a call.

What Really hurt cavies in 2000 was the brass performance score.