P. Crest

Soooo, I guess thats a no, from you? I have a question, just looking for an answer you a##h###!!!!!!

:tongue: ... Whoa. Maybe he(she?) was really disappointed that Academy got beat. Forums are a funny thing. You miss all of the body language and inflections that tell you how a person is actually making a statement. I try to give the benefit of the doubt...

Anyway...PC was very impressive. Tight show with a great hornline and battery. I don't think they have put quite the level of difficulty into their book as Academy, but they are certainly outperforming them as are the Mandarins. Same commentary for them.

I heard second hand that Academy had quite a few ageouts last year and are working with a fairly high percentage of rookies. Couple that with Walnut being their first show, a demanding horn book (very), and some drill that will make you drop lots of extra weight and I can see why they are a bit behind. If they can ramp up their progress schedule to catch up with the others, they should be able to move up into the block they were in last year.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really digging Pacific Crest this year. They are clearly ahead of Academy right now. As far as Academy goes, I was wondering how...taking time to do an indoor performance, taking some days off each week, and approaching this whole drum corps thing was going to work for them.

So far, music performance wise, they are equal to last year and maybe a notch better with the drums. I think the snare line is too big and it leads to some of the dirt there.

But, visually, this show really lacks right now. I would thing the folks in charge of this already knew it when they went out this weekend. I'm sure the visual "catch up" has begun.

On Wednesday, the Glendale show will be telling for the Academy faithful. But, remember, this is a corps that peaked too early (San Antonio) last year. This year the question is...will they get to peak before semis?

Pacific Crest is the other point of this thread and they are looking better at the beginning of the season than they did at this same time last season.

And then there's those pesky Mandarins too.

The West Coast is not just strong at the top of the ticket my friends....let's see how this all shakes out. I believe once better defined the Academy show will grow on some folks.

Edited by Tom Brace

pc definitely has a cool show, and are stronger this time f the year then they have ever been.

i posted pretty in depth reviews in the review section sharing my opinions of pc, academy, and mandarins.

(walnot & riverside)

go check them out!

~shaners

I just watched both corps shows on the fan network. I liked them both. I think Academy will be improving greatly over the season, and as people were saying. . won't really peak early.

One thing I noticed was I don't think Academy's pit was mic'd. Could this be a contributing factor to some of the percussion/music scores? I look forward to seeing both corps shows later on in the season!

As a Pacific Crest alum, I am glad to see the corps is doing well and I would like to point out that the corps has beaten Academy both Saturday and Sunday. I am not pointing that out to be smug, I would also like to point out that Mandarins beat Academy yesterday. I again point out that I do not mean any of this as a slight against Academy whom I have great respect for. I would question these scores based on another topic on here pointing out half the judges are absent in the early season.

I also applaud Pac Crest to going back to the (seemingly) dark style of music that brought the corps to greatness in the first place and wish them well and good luck on another great season. I hope to be able to make it out to finals (wherever it may be) to see them.

well yah its the first 2 shows of the year. . . you cant' really say much now since there is still so much time left. .

But how long have these corps had their full shows on the field for?

pc did their full show at the brea show on jun 21. i saw that they had it finished at practice, about a week or so before that.

And then there's those pesky Mandarins too.

Wow! Someone actually remembered that there was another Div 1 corps at these shows!!! :tongue:

Mandarins have not been mentioned more than twice. It's like they are the mystery corps or something! :tongue:

Wow! Someone actually remembered that there was another Div 1 corps at these shows!!! :tongue:

Mandarins have not been mentioned more than twice. It's like they are the mystery corps or something! :tongue:

I've always considered both the Mandarins and Pacific Crest 'mystery' corps....they get very very little discussion on these forums and you just don't know what to expect from them from year to year. It would be very exciting if one of these made a push for Finals. Right now, I think Pacific Crest has a shot....not an easy one, but certainly a possibility.

I know it's early in the season, check out the percussion weighted scores per DCP Rankings

Percussion Weighted Caption Ranking

World Class (2008)

Corps / Score / Change: Last Show

1. Cavaliers / 16.13 / +0.16: 6/29

2. Phantom Regiment / 16.09 / +0.57: 6/27

3. Blue Devils / 15.85 / +0.40: 6/29

4. Bluecoats / 15.56 / +0.44: 6/28

5. Santa Clara Vanguard / 15.55 / +0.41: 6/29

6. Carolina Crown / 15.49 / +0.18: 6/29

7. The Cadets / 15.29 / +0.29: 6/29

8. Pacific Crest / 14.80 / -0.10: 6/29

Edited by Jeffe77