Parents Speak Up

Where the Heck have I been the last 30 years? I have an incredible streak of luck going on here, because I have NEVER taken offense to the crowd around me. I must be out of it. If you didn't like a show, and, between shows you discuss with the persons you came with, "yeah, I didn't like that at all because blah blah blah" and someone overhears you, that's horribly offensive????? What is this? Brave New World? Must we all be cowed into saying nothing?

I was at Madison Saturday night. Cadets were cheered SEVERAL TIMES during the show. I heard ZERO booing. The crowd was respectful.

The persecution complex is getting to be too much here. You ever go to a sporting event? Ever hear booing? Drum corps shows are NOTHING like that. And those kids have dads and moms too. Ever had a kid referee at a sporting event? I have - it's even worse than having a kid on a team. Helicopter parents - you're not helping little Johnny by complaining to the Principal to make it all better.

And I'm guessing the kids are pretty darn smart, and even if they are exposed to booing I bet they know it's not directed at them individually. And yeah, I was in a corps, and heard boos sometimes, from rival corps members mostly. It brought a smile to my face. I got over it.

Sorry I'm sure I've offended some of you, but I'm not buying into the Cadets as victims thing here. They are an awesome world class elite corps. And no, I'm not out there booing. But if the people two rows in front of me did, I'm not gonna break down in tears. The best way to respond to something like that is to IGNORE IT. You must know by now that what the bully wants is attention. When you refuse to react to the behavior, guess what? The behavior will eventually stop. So, we could try that....

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the Heck have I been the last 30 years? I have an incredible streak of luck going on here, because I have NEVER taken offense to the crowd around me. I must be out of it. If you didn't like a show, and, between shows you discuss with the persons you came with, "yeah, I didn't like that at all because blah blah blah" and someone overhears you, that's horribly offensive????? What is this? Brave New World? Must we all be cowed into saying nothing?

Not sure if you were referencing me here in part, but I just want to clarify that what annoys me is when folks pontificate about the a show BEFORE it goes on. Please, let your newbie mate experience that show for themselves before going on and on about what you think of it and what was copied from what and so on .... Opinions of what you thought of it AFTER (also please, not DURING) are fair game .... :rolleyes:

This is obviously a sore subject for a lot of people. The fact is some people will always spew their vitriol in inappropriate places. More than anything, I have heard half-hearted booing at Finals when the Cadets have performed. Most of us (me included) cheer for every corps regardless of our affinity for them. We know the kids are working their tails off. The booing is directed at George Hopkins, who obviously enjoys the attention. I hope some of the Cadets kids read these posts, because they will see that overall most fans think the activity is so special that we are taking the time to write about it. The Cadets have long been one of the most innovative, musical and technically perfect corps for many years. We all know it. The direction George Hopkins (Hoppy) has taken the activity is questionable, but no one doubts the effort and the talent. I think booing is terrible and uncalled for, but we all know why people are doing it, and it has never been directed at the kids. I am a father myself, and I would just be involved in my son's activities to the point where I could understand the choices he was making. I really do hope when my son is old enough that he is in a corps if he so chooses (wow, that would be awesome), but I would support him in whatever choice that was. It's all about information, education and communication. I would imagine most kids in the Cadets know what they are getting into: an extremely talented Drum Corps with a fabled history and a controversial director.

Sure, the speed and complexity of drill has increased greatly over the years, but the "wow" visual effects were always there and were constantly evolving -- from the company front to the "false" company front to the disappearing and reappearing company front to the backwards company front

and back to the company front! $1 to Crown's show this year. :rolleyes:

But don't forget that they also went with "Medea," for my ears, a note for note version of their '93 show. To me, that was always an "eff you" to DCI.

The last time I saw Blast, Medea was heavily edited and ended with recaps of most of pre-intermission charts. (Bolero, Percussion battle, etc) I would assume those changes were to make Medea appeal to the audience.

Parents speak out.

I hope parents from all the corps will post here and relate how you would feel if this happened to your son or daughters corps.

I am the parent of a Cadet .I’m not a musician. I don’t judge shows I just watch and enjoy. It is not my place to tell the directors how to run things. My place is to shell out the $$ and support my sons passion for music. I am at the point where I am afraid for my son’s safety. The venom and hate being bandied around these boards just curdles my blood. It makes me fear a lynch mob will show up at one of the show venues .

People sitting near us in the stands at the Rose Bowl last year kept giving us furtive looks and acted as though they were waiting for us to open fire on them. Someone actually asked us what we would “do” if The Cadets didn’t win. They were amazed that we cheered and clapped every corps. We gave the Blue Devils a standing ovation when they took the Championship. It’s called good sportsmanship.

Sitting in the stands listening to the catcalls (shut up and play ) and the boos and the snickering RUINED the experience for my family. It happened in Allentown too.

I want you to think about the parents and how THEY feel when you are treating THEIR children with such hate and disrespect ? How do you think other young people who are hoping to participate in drum corps in the future will feel that they could receive such treatment from an audience ?. How do you think this kind of behavior will encourage better turnouts at DCI shows ???

I don’t care if a show is bad, good or terrible. I stand and clap and cheer for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

You have the right to hate narration. You have the right not to watch the show. George Hopkins has an E-mail address just go to the YEA website and click on “ask george’. Make your opinions known to DCI. LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE.

It isn’t narration that is ruining drum corps.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done. You have to understand that drum corps is at a crossroads.

Is it professional? Is it completely a youth arts activity? Its become a blend. With fans, you will always have those who have their own opinions and who seek to show their support or dislike at teams (or corps) and their supporters. Manchester United hooligans come to mind as some of the most violent fans in futbol.

Its a hot topic around here. What is drum corps? Is it a professional activity or is it a purely non-competitive youth arts activity?

Of course its neither. I appologize that members of our community did that to you, but its not going to turn into a mob. No way, no how. But, there is a lot of venom between drum corps and marching band activities. George Hopkins has made himself perfectly clear that he believes the two will combine. He seems to want to accelerate this unholy matrimony. But, although we all know that they are similar, drum corps tradition has seperated the two activities for a long time.

We are proud of our past, and the founders of the activity. We come from different roots. Although on the field drum corps is similar to marching band, the similarity ends when the corps members wear the uniforms that thousands have worn before them. The difference begins with the proud legacy of those that have come 10, 20, 30, 50 years before, who, in the spirit of that brotherhood and the common unity binding those symbals, proudly represent drum corps history to that point.

Its an amazing thing, and its something that seems more and more distant.

People are sad and upset.

Edited for Clarification

Edited by runner_up

If anything, I feel sorry for the members of The Cadets who have been given this drivel to perform.
LOL.

Save your feelings for kids who are talented enough to march with a top corps but do not have the confidence to try. Or for those who do but can't afford to. Too many settle for one reason or another.

You want to feel sorry? Feel sorry for those who boo kids. They are truly sad human beings.

The marching members of the Cadets are on fire and experiencing things most just dream of.

Deal.

As I've previously stated, there is absolutely no shame for passive reaction to a product you don't like. That is a practice I've used several times myself.

You say that, but there have been people who on this forum equated that silence with destroying their little hothouse flowers self esteem. Like see they worked so hard they should get standing O's just for being such wonderful kids!

You say that, but there have been people who on this forum equated that silence with destroying their little hothouse flowers self esteem. Like see they worked so hard they should get standing O's just for being such wonderful kids!

Havent seen much of that sentiment lately...anyone care to take this stance??

To the OP:

No one's going to beat up your kid.

People will express their feelings. This isn't golf.

The Cadets are a controversial corps. Were you unaware of this before your kid joined?

While I understand and acknowledge your concerns, what about the poor audience members who have to listen to this crap? Will you act as the go-beween and ask George to take it easy on us?

Give me a show I can cheer for.

Thanks,

Garry in Vegas

PS The Cadets are amazingly talented, but it's wasted on shows like these.