Violence in Phantom's show

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys ever read Grimm's Fairy Tales? Kids have been handling a lot more than this kind of stuff for a long time. Give them some credit.

I might have a problem if it wasn't so awesome.

Have you guys ever read Grimm's Fairy Tales? Kids have been handling a lot more than this kind of stuff for a long time. Give them some credit.

The original stories are far worse. Sleeping Beauty was apparantly taken from a much older story of necrophilia.....

Nice stuff for the kiddies...

Gee, maybe we'll need some narration to voice a disclaimer that "no youths were harmed or killed in the making of this show".... Argh.

You haven't seen the begining of the Cavaliers show yet, have you?

Between Phantom, Bluecoats, and them, this does seem to be an unusually violent drum corps season. I worry how harmful taking children to a DCI show could be when they could be watching GREAT roles models on TV instead.

:thumbup:

Edited by troon8

Glad to see no one has agreed with the original poster. I think the moments referenced are used to GREAT effect. High drama on the field. The moment where the DM kills the guard performer is just brilliant. Shocking, brutal, and bad a#@, just as it should be.

Thanks for an incredible show, Regiment!

Harvey

I should also point out that not only does my daughter ask, but her brothers (one just turned 10 yesterday, the other will be 12 in September) ask to watch The Passion of The Christ every Easter. And we, as a family, sit down and watch it every Easter and will continue to do so until they stop asking.

Good Lord, really? Lets just hope that they don't start asking for the "Faces of Death" series at Christmas :smile: The only time I ever want to see that movie again is on South Park :thumbup:

I don't recall the drum major slashing the throat of a colorguard member with a knife in any of those shows. Could this be a little too much? Could this be in poor taste for a family oriented event?

Agree, the overt slashing is in very poor taste.

I saw the original PR Sparticus and it was very emotional because a beloved figure dies, and most of us can relate to the tragedy of a heroic figure dying.

For the 2008 Sparticus depicting killing in that personal way is a horror, not something any normal person can relate to.

This topic is ridiculous. Like someone said earlier, kids know that it isn't real. It's like taking a kid to see the movie on Spartacus. You know, the kid or brat that is the worst critic of them all, saying" dad, that is soooo fake. This movie sucks!"

This topic is just another example of how hypersensitive of a society we have become.

"This drum corps show presented by the Phantom regiment is rated PG-13. It depicts scenes of violence and sexual innuendo."