Violence in Phantom's show

Admittedly I am a raving honk. And, I don't have a problem with the show.

I think you are overreacting. I have not seen the show live, only on the 'site that shall not be named'. As someone said before, art does convey death, and death, art. Heck, Symphony Fantastique deals with Love, Loss, Addiction, Murder, Suicide, decapitation/execution and Demonic Play in the afterlife. And that was 178 years ago. The Rite of Spring deals with a ritual which eventually ends in the sacrifice of the virgin. (BTW - there is great debate as to whether the cause of the riot was the content or the quality of the premiere).

If you think that the show is too violent, then perhaps you're not ready for many of the repertoires played and themes that have been conveyed in the past 20 years. In DCI, alone we have seen and dealt with murders, suicides, wars, love lost, 9/11, and the list goes on.

If you have truly been out of drum corps for the past 20 years, and were not expecting the repertoire to be what it was, then I would recommend the fan network (I don't have it - but many people have lauded it's content and accessibility). There are a great many links and resources for you to tap into and get your fix.

If, however, you are a muckraker who feels it necessary to come on here and spew about how Phantom's (or anyone's) show is too violent, then perhaps you should take a step back and listen to some of the works which were instrumental in shaping music as we see it today. Historically, it seems that the most tumultuous and violent times have created the greatest works of art, music, literature, and theatre.

Do I want to depict a drive-by shooting in drum corps? No. However, drive-bys have become a part of life, and if there was a corps who was able to convey tragedy as the result of a drive by shooting in a way that was clear to the audience, again, I wouldn't have a problem.

The turntables in the pit I would have a problem with. :thumbup:

Chris Scott

In Vista tonite, in Phantom's show I counted 3 deaths. 1 murder by a sword. 1 colorguard member has her throat slashed by the drum major. And a death (murder?) in the middle of the horn circle. This is for real, I'm not kidding. Does this bother anyone?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Vista tonite, in Phantom's show I counted 3 deaths. 1 murder by a sword. 1 colorguard member has her throat slashed by the drum major. And a death (murder?) in the middle of the horn circle. This is for real, I'm not kidding. Does this bother anyone?

Well, after 7 pages, the answer appears to be: no, it doesn't bother anybody. And I don't believe you are being for real, either. Just trying to start something. Apparently it didn't work.

I think this is SHOCKING ... HORRIBLE. This kind of thing shouldn't be tolerated and Phantom Regiment should be disqualified, their members punished severely, and their staff incarcerated for this.

Impugning the nature of the Drum & Bugle Corps movement with this type of nonsense is one of the most disgusting and disgraceful displays that I have ever heard of! People rail about George Hopkins and how he is bringing Drum Corps down with Amplification, Narration, and the desire to use woodwinds is nothing compared to the outrageous behavior of the Phantom Regiment.

I never thought I'd see the day where there were Violins on a drum corps field ... Woodwinds, bad enough, but strings? NEVER!

Oh, what?

Nevermind.

:thumbup:

By the end of the year, they'll probably sacrifice a virgin, too.

What some people won't do for some GE!!

It doesn't bother me, because there isn't blood, which by movie rating standards, puts it at a pg-13 :thumbup:

By the end of the year, they'll probably sacrifice a virgin, too.

What some people won't do for some GE!!

Mike Boo had better watch out ... :thumbup:

Yes, it has crossed my mind that it's the most obviously violent show I think I've seen. But then, it's part of the story. You couldn't tell the story effectively without violence. And it's certainly not as bad as any violence we see in movies or TV shows everyday.