Violence in Phantom's show

In Vista tonite, in Phantom's show I counted 3 deaths. 1 murder by a sword. 1 colorguard member has her throat slashed by the drum major. And a death (murder?) in the middle of the horn circle. This is for real, I'm not kidding. Does this bother anyone?
OMG!! Next they'll be performing satanic rituals, summoning demons, and...

oh wait, thay've already done that... :thumbup:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't bother me. However, If you're concerned about 3 mock deaths, it's a good thing they aren't doing Caligula, isn't it?

Now that would be something for the Renegades to tackle.

This topic is ridiculous. Like someone said earlier, kids know that it isn't real. It's like taking a kid to see the movie on Spartacus. You know, the kid or brat that is the worst critic of them all, saying" dad, that is soooo fake. This movie sucks!"

This topic is just another example of how hypersensitive of a society we have become.

"This drum corps show presented by the Phantom regiment is rated PG-13. It depicts scenes of violence and sexual innuendo."

I agree totally. Maybe the members will have to wear an "Explicit" sticker on their helmets... Sheesh.

Edited by RickCogley

Dear baby Jebus....why are some Americans so wussified and PC these days?

Bottom line: If you don't like it, then don't take your kids to see the show instead of using the mechanism of the show to -God Forbid- EXPLAIN something to your children. Nah, why do that when you can shelter them from it instead so that they learn it from another source once you can't coddle them anymore, once they are away from your ability to explain it correctly to them.

This is as bad and as silly as the person who suggested Cadets were promoting abortion/choice last summer. It's just drum corps, people.

In Phantom's show the slaves die standing up for themselves and for a cuase of Freedom; for a noble cause. So I don't have a problem with that.

I have a much bigger problem with Bluecoats boxing show, two men wanting to beat each other up for no valid reason. :thumbup:

Edited by shawn craig

Good lord, another "I'm offended" thread on DCP.... shocker. :thumbup:

Question, have you seen the Cavaliers this year? How does holding the severed head up with one hand after the Samurai master decapitates it rank in your book? Also, have you ever seen Northmont HS's winterguard show from 1997? And was the Chippendales hornline from BD back in 1992 too NC-17 for you? Ever watch network TV these days? Do you want me to read you a bedtime story?

My suggestion (and sorry if I sound unsensitive), but go get a hotdog if you are seriously bothered. Better yet, get one during Bluecoats and the Green Machine as well so you won't have a reason to post about how violent those are as well.

Thank you. E&B will appreciate your efforts...

vegies.jpg.jpg

Edited by IMcomguy

Maybe it would be more family-oriented if PR had someone get on a microphone and NARRATE that what you see happening on the field is not real and should NOT--I repeat--NOT be tried at home.

In all seriousness, I can understand your reaction to the storytelling--it shocked you, because it's not a particular type of storytelling that you've seen on the field very much. But as others have pointed out, there have been a few gunshot killings on the field (See Sky Ryders 1987 West Side Story). If PR weren't doing Spartacus or some other specific story-based show and gratuitously threw in a few murders, then I would question the artistic intent. However, they ARE performing Spartacus and should be allowed to tell the story.

It's one thing to educate our children about violence, teaching them to understand why it sometimes happens and how to try to avoid it; it's another thing (and IMO a BAD ONE) to shield our children from it in ignorance and pretend it doesn't happen, as it just leaves them more vulnerable.

Just my opinion though. :)

Agree, the overt slashing is in very poor taste.

I saw the original PR Sparticus and it was very emotional because a beloved figure dies, and most of us can relate to the tragedy of a heroic figure dying.

For the 2008 Sparticus depicting killing in that personal way is a horror, not something any normal person can relate to.

Are you kidding? You're kidding, right?

Better not let your kids study history then because it's full of this kind of "horror".