I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

Remember, corps today don't rehearse two or three times a week in the winter months. They do weekend camps. Yes my corps rehearsed every Tuesday and Thursday evenings and every Sunday too. So we did 8 hours (or so) a week, 32 hours a month and so on.

Corps shouldn't be penalized for an unfinished show. There may have been reasons why it wasn't finished...floods, bad winter, less rehearsals, people quiting and the drill has to be changed. There's always a reason. BUT don't penalize the kids!

We worked all winter as well. That's why an unfinished show in July is so alien to me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No. I'm saying that an unfinished show shouldn't be allowed to compete in the first place. An exhibition performance would be fine."

"My bands don't need to be told, they just do 'em. It's not "punishment", it's personal accountability, a lesson rarely taught in today's schools."

Hi there. I'd jut like to touch on these points: Not have a complete show before the beginning of the season? What the heck is that about? We worked all winter from October to March and never never went on the field without a complete 12 minute show - it just wasn't done. This included the drill and all the music.

As to personal accountability - We had formal rehearsals twice a week Friday and Sunday and I don't know of a section in our corps that didn't have individual section rehearsals all during the winter. Our little 34 man horn line was tight because we were in each other's heads. We knew that we owed it to our instructors and each other.

Puppet

Hey Puppet:

We didn't have people coming in from anywhere further than maybe 2 hrs away, not other states, heck now nothing starts until November. We also knew exactly where and when we would be rehearsing, thats not always the case anymore especially in 2\3 (open) arena. There are quite a few reasons today why a show might not be done, not saying I like or agree with it just the way it is. And a point in fact, even with the schedules we had back in the day there were corps that came out not ready or pulled out of shows. Nowadays you can't pull out of a show.

Hey Puppet:

We didn't have people coming in from anywhere further than maybe 2 hrs away, not other states, heck now nothing starts until November. We also knew exactly where and when we would be rehearsing, thats not always the case anymore especially in 2\3 (open) arena. There are quite a few reasons today why a show might not be done, not saying I like or agree with it just the way it is. And a point in fact, even with the schedules we had back in the day there were corps that came out not ready or pulled out of shows. Nowadays you can't pull out of a show.

Thank you Frank.

That explains to me why there are "camps." I was talking to a kid who got "accepted" to Boston a few months ago and he mentioned that and I was curious but didn't ask. I figure that they push a couple of months of work into a couple of weeks.

Must be tough.

Puppet

Thank you Frank.

That explains to me why there are "camps." I was talking to a kid who got "accepted" to Boston a few months ago and he mentioned that and I was curious but didn't ask. I figure that they push a couple of months of work into a couple of weeks.

Must be tough.

Puppet

You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished in a weekend camp, especially the more experienced groups. Back when we came along we got everything we needed from our instructors at those Friday and Sunday rehearsals. Now in addition to what they get during the camp weekend, they have a wealth of info on the internet to augment their rehearsal experience. Just like we wouldn't dare show up to rehearsal not knowing what we learned the previous week (something that would get you a tongue lashing), showing up to camp not knowing your stuff today in a lot of cases will get you cut. One comment on the original post, There have always been corps that didn't practice well hence, they didn't do that well.

You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished in a weekend camp, especially the more experienced groups.

I hear ya, Frank. The focus shown at rehearsals by the modern-day corps... at least the top-performing ones.... is amazing.

Back in the day, we (Sunrisers) and many of our competitors worked very hard in terms of hours put in, etc..... but we didn't always work smart.

The top corps today, in DCI and DCA... they work smart.

Fran

Remember, corps today don't rehearse two or three times a week in the winter months. They do weekend camps. Yes my corps rehearsed every Tuesday and Thursday evenings and every Sunday too. So we did 8 hours (or so) a week, 32 hours a month and so on.

Corps shouldn't be penalized for an unfinished show. There may have been reasons why it wasn't finished...floods, bad winter, less rehearsals, people quiting and the drill has to be changed. There's always a reason. BUT don't penalize the kids!

I didn't say "Penalize". I said they could perform in exhibition. MikeD said the "P" word.

What is this? "Pick on Apoch" week?

Edited by apoch003

I didn't say "Penalize". I said they could perform in exhibition. MikeD said the "P" word.

What is this? "Pick on Apoch" week?

Not getting a score is a penalty.

And no, that's in two weeks. According to the memo.

You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished in a weekend camp, especially the more experienced groups. Back when we came along we got everything we needed from our instructors at those Friday and Sunday rehearsals. Now in addition to what they get during the camp weekend, they have a wealth of info on the internet to augment their rehearsal experience. Just like we wouldn't dare show up to rehearsal not knowing what we learned the previous week (something that would get you a tongue lashing), showing up to camp not knowing your stuff today in a lot of cases will get you cut. One comment on the original post, There have always been corps that didn't practice well hence, they didn't do that well.

Hey Frank, I hear ya!

But, in addition to your input, and understanding the original post.....I believe there is something not being mentioned (besides the name of the organization...which is cool) that is not being said which is "Just why in the H isn't the correct decisions being made in a timely fashion, and why would administrations allow the Kids to get beat up on week to week, and humilated, possibly suffer emotional trauma, hate their Drum Corps experience, deplete their already fragile self esteem because the administration FAILED to be prepared, or to make the appropreiate decision to scrap their present season as they are well behind the eight ball. The kids well being besides opportunity to excel should come first, organization second, as this type of decision would put all in a better position for next season ( In my opinion) ....I'll tell you what I think they wouldn't make that decision why? because the childrens humilation, emotional well being are worth sacrificing because the unit doesn't want to go through the evaluation process for next season......which they would have to do.

I admire those directors, and administrators who make the tough decision by putting the kids first and the organization second, and aren't afraid to go through the rebuilding process in order to "Do it a better way" Love Drum Corps, by honoring those who make the organization exist "Members"

Frank,

You know me as Poo's brother (on the downlow)

Well I'm not sure what was going on at the rehearsal you watched, but I have been to about 10 OC rehearsals this year and I have seen the corps do about 1000 pushups and 1000 situps easily. Most commands are out of style these days, even at the high school level. And if you watch, as soon as they stop any run through the lead snare taps three rim shots signifying that it is time to dress the current formation. They bring their horns up and dress to the proper place, then recieve three more rim shots signifying horns down. So, some of the same ol stuff is still happening, just without someone yelling out a command. You and I marched in an era of military style commands and movements.....and for better or worse today's marching bands and drum corps are more about pagentry. So......I guess I agree to an extent, but be sure that those kids are working their butts off. As far as the incomplete show......stuff happens. There were many factors leading to that and I for one am glad that OC still exists seeing as at least a couple of west coast corps were not even able to field a show this year.

I may be a little biased though since my son is in the baritone line.

Good discussion though.

Corps shouldn't be penalized for an unfinished show. There may have been reasons why it wasn't finished...floods, bad winter, . . .

For some corps, it's just winter, period. (They're all bad.) :blink: