Same old story, SCV

SCV 2004 was awesome all the way around!! The quiet and slow ending was to build up suspense for the girl to come out with the sword.

Thanks... :-)

SCV 2004 was awesome all the way around!! The quiet and slow ending was to build up suspense for the girl to come out with the sword.

Yeah...well and that was also more of a tag on the ending of the show. Most of the season the loud ending was the actual ending.

That was an example of a corps doing a tag or outro correctly. I've been bothered the past few years when a corps will have a "meh" ending, but let it slide because it will be okay once they add in the tag (SCV 2006 comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, but the ending left me wanting. Cool exit though). In 2004, SCV gave the audience everything they had, and THEN gave them a little bit more with the tag.

TERRANCE COME HOME!!!!! We miss you......

And bring Notabando with you! That'll drive the grammar police crazy!

Garry in Vegas

PS Ook!

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Oddly enough, if the two posters had exchanged "their/they're" usage, they both would have been correct.

Well, their you go. There canceling out each other. It's a good season if we're arguing about they're use of grammar.

Edited by Michael Boo

The closer had some small changes last night - still not working for me.

I think they should actually hit us with that company front moment instead of marching away from it. The kaleidoscope drill, IMO, takes far too long to develop considering it is the closing sequence of the show.

The kaleidoscope drill, IMO, takes far too long to develop considering it is the closing sequence of the show.

Well, it fits the tempo and mood of the music. Long. flowing drill = long, flowing music. It'd look funny to see lots of 8 count fast moving drill with broad, melodic music wouldn't it??

All they really need, to me, is a better ending drill form and perhaps a longer chord at the end. A giant wedge/triangle would work I suppose. I think the hornline is so spread-out by the end form that no volume is coming from them.

Everyone keeps pointing to the drill. Another problem is the performance captions. They were a point behind Phantom. Maybe the drill is too hard and that effects the overall performance of the brass and drums. They do seem at least the last couple of years make a strong push.

That was an example of a corps doing a tag or outro correctly. I've been bothered the past few years when a corps will have a "meh" ending, but let it slide because it will be okay once they add in the tag (SCV 2006 comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, but the ending left me wanting. Cool exit though). In 2004, SCV gave the audience everything they had, and THEN gave them a little bit more with the tag.

Personally I didn't feel that SCV 2006 had a "meh" ending, I thought it built suspense to the final chord. But I do think that their exit was the greatest exit ever done by a corps.

This years SCV has taken me a while to like. I typically love their shows, but when I saw their closer in Phoenix I let my friend know right away that they needed to change it. As a side note, Phoenix was the first time they performed it. I don't like the music, I believe it develops too slow. Which leads to my next problem, the drill loses all theme and nowhere in the closer do you see a resemblance of 3.

I do know for fact that they are currently changing their closer drill. I hope they change the music as well. BK is also playing Cloudburst but as their opener and they still manage to make it intense. I really hope SCV can pull out of this and come out with a better ending to their show.

I wonder about the constant force inside the organization that allows this to happen year after year. Several SCV leaders have come and gone, but the same problem remains. What is the constant?