Blue Devils

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the show. I haven't seen it live yet, only on the fan network, but I'm ready for Atlanta. The uniforms are kinda starting to grow on me (except for the white plume).

and why is that I don't know if you were old enough or even involved in drum corps in the 70's but the blue devils uniforms had white plums and had more white in the uniforms than black. The black plums I believe started in the late 80's and 90's I like the new white accents in the uni's GO BLUE!!!!!!

and why is that I don't know if you were old enough or even involved in drum corps in the 70's but the blue devils uniforms had white plums and had more white in the uniforms than black. The black plums I believe started in the late 80's and 90's I like the new white accents in the uni's GO BLUE!!!!!!

No black plumes in the 80's. Even the gray/black uni's in 88 and the black/black in 89 had white plumes. I am pretty sure the black plumes first appeared in 1994.

No black plumes in the 80's. Even the gray/black uni's in 88 and the black/black in 89 had white plumes. I am pretty sure the black plumes first appeared in 1994.

Yep....right along with the totally new uni design.

Glad to see the white plumes back, frankly....one gets very tired of corps right and left going with dark colors to hide visual dirt.....CLEAN it!

Glad to see the white plumes back, frankly....one gets very tired of corps right and left going with dark colors to hide visual dirt.....CLEAN it!

:wub:

Edited by Kekkles

:wub:

You may laugh, but I think it's a valid concern....it also has lead to SO MANY corps of all sizes going black for that very reason. Black may hide some dirt under the lights, when there's multiple shadowing going on....but in a day show??? Nope....not that I've ever seen.

:lol: ...and even though i havent seen ANY of bd's show this year, its sounding like one that I may actually like!! :wub:

You may laugh, but I think it's a valid concern....it also has lead to SO MANY corps of all sizes going black for that very reason. Black may hide some dirt under the lights, when there's multiple shadowing going on....but in a day show??? Nope....not that I've ever seen.

i agree with you.

it's just that i always thought of bd (and cavies) as the "black pants corps". so to hear that coming from a bd alum struck me as comedic.

that's just me though :wub:

I know they used white plumes in the past, I just don't think there's enough white in the current uniform to add a white plume without it looking absurd. (pun TOTALLY intended)

I know they used white plumes in the past, I just don't think there's enough white in the current uniform to add a white plume without it looking absurd. (pun TOTALLY intended)

We switched to the black plumes in 1994 with the new uniform. The most obvious basis for this was the fact that the original (new) uniform...whatever, you know what I mean, ...the 1994 uniform, had no white on it at all. The lightest part of the uniform was the silver sequence sash, therefore, the black plumes worked a lot better. With the addition of the white stripes to the jacket and pants in later years, as well as the sash, the white plumes work perfectly.

DISCLAIMER: I'm an engineer, not a fashion expert, I was just around a lot when we were getting the new uniform.

Also, there was one additional reason for the plume change...1993 Finals in one of the most humid areas on Earth, Jackson, Mississippi. The humidity made our rather thin, white plumes stand up on end and look ridiculous. I believe the general consensus was that black looked better, and the new "feathers" didn't look as ridiculous in bad humidity.

Something Jay Murphy once told me...