Blue Devils

I love BD's show this year, too! Intense, Daring, Creative, and so detailed. And I'm not sure I've ever seen such a confident group of performers simply nailing their show at this point in the season before. I actually love the white plumes, too. It's going to take a monster effort for anyone to derail this crew this year. I think perhaps only Cavies & PR have any shot at all.

Harvey

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love BD's show this year, too! Intense, Daring, Creative, and so detailed. And I'm not sure I've ever seen such a confident group of performers simply nailing their show at this point in the season before. I actually love the white plumes, too. It's going to take a monster effort for anyone to derail this crew this year. I think perhaps only Cavies & PR have any shot at all.

Harvey

The beautiful thing for me is that I would also include The Cadets and Crown in that discussion. Honestly, the right adaptations and enahncements combined with the increased technical execution from any of The Cavliers, The Cadets, Phantom, or Crown could (IMHO) vault them into that top-tier.

I haven't gotten "into" The Cavaliers show YET, but never dismiss the idea that I can get there. (FYI, I'm talking about getting into the musical content. The visual content and execution of both the visual and music is top notch). Crown's show is just plain musical FUN but the visual could use some tweaking (again, IMHO). The Cadets could use some major tweaks in the narration, but there is always potential. And Phantom has an outstanding program that just feels like it's lacking that special "something" right now to put it over the top, but we have a month remaining for them to find it and place it on the field. (FYI, both Phantom and Cadets are also IMHO....I cannot overstate that this is OPINION).

Of the top 5 so far, I do acknowledge a personal leaning toward the Blue Devils. While anyone can legitimately argue comparisons within individual captions with me as to who is better, I just don't feel that anyone else has the overall package of staging, content, and execution that Blue Devils do. But I also will not assume that it will stay that way.

This is going to be a tremendous Top 5. You can stamp my name on an order form for this year's Finals DVDs RIGHT NOW!

I love it too, and there have only been a handful of their shows in the past that brought me to "like very much" level. 2003 was one of those. Didn't much like 2007.

This one, well, just WOW. They manage to slip in a bunch of stuff staging and movement-wise that I consider innovative, and it's all done in such a fun manner. The colors are great. The costumes are great. The business with the bendy poles is a hoot. When they make a grid or pathway with them, they then use it to wonderful effect.

White plumes and leg capes are a riot, and they laugh at themselves in them.

Constant different approaches to interpreting the theme.

I like the music and the random people running around the field. The human drum racks - crazy!

They seem so well prepared and confident, that in the early season vids, I thought they made everyone else look like amateurs. It was just a totally different level of comfort with the material.

If there really is a lot more to be added, as been hinted at in interviews, I think it will be tough to beat.

What's their secret to having their act so together from the beginning, where so many others struggle with unlearned material and unsewn flags? Just massive, organized professionalism, or something in the Kool-Aid?

I haven't actually seen the show, but I think that it's refreshing that they seem to be breaking new ground or at least trying new things without creating a whole bunch of negative controversy. They're being innovative without using voice and such, for example (though I don't mean to bash the Cadets, I respect them and appreciate their attempts at innovation, although I may not always agree with it). However, this is only from what I've read and what little I've seen. I could be totaly wrong and they could be doing just another drum corps show in an "absurd" way. I'll wait 'til Atlanta to make any judgement. :tongue:

Also, I find their new uniforms refreshing in a strange kinda way. Even the white plumes and 1/2 coat tails. Especially the white plumes, actually. :thumbup:

I will be at Murfreesboro to see BD for the first time. Most everyone for that matter. I cannot wait! <---jonzin'. I saw Cadets at Milton and yes, for the millionth time, the narration was well, silly. The rest of the show phenomenal. Murfressboro will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Hey all,

so after last night's show in Denver - I've decided that I really love BD's show this year.

Their "Absurdity" show is so detailed and nuanced that it's just ridiculous.

The use of the poles is cool and it adds designs to the field (I love the part where the whole guard is boxed in - then the guys spread out and the girls move to the next box).

The drum line GE alone is crazy - like when the guard rotate the quads around the players

And I'm really enjoying their musical selections this year (the beginning back field horn hit & The ballad are phenomenal).

I still can't believe I'm saying this - but man I love that show!

Later,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Glad you like it. It doesn't do much for me. It seems piecemeal and gimmicky. Not my thing. Glad that you enjoy it - perhaps I will try to give it another chance.

How are things in MTL?

Hey Mike,

Glad you like it. It doesn't do much for me. It seems piecemeal and gimmicky. Not my thing. Glad that you enjoy it - perhaps I will try to give it another chance.

How are things in MTL?

I should add that I loved bd's show last year. I thought it was very effective.

Even though I have only been able to see it online, I am growing to love this show more and more. Out of all the shows I've seen so far this year, this one has the most defining moments. The color guard holding the tenors, the battery body work, the drill that I don't have the vocabulary to define...running in sequence to forms, the poles, the poles on the ground, the "push" set in the same form as the poles on the ground.

And while I don't know the music well, I know that I want to.

I deleted a couple of posts with political commentary. Let's keep this about BD's 08 show.

woohoo Lance!