"They're always ready!"

There are times when some people can be irritating, but a Drum Corps show isn't an opera house either.

THANK YOU!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who was at the Madison show a couple of weeks ago remember the guy who was so obnoxious? On the left hand side of the stadium as you are looking at the crowd?

At first we thought he was just an obnoxious parent calling out his kid, so we ignored it. By the 3rd corps he was a real PITA and someone called security on him. Everyone on that side was complaining.

They talked to him once, he shut up for about 1 corps and then started in again. He finally left just before they came to evict him. I moved shortly after that so I don't know if he ever came back but officials were very willing to evict him.

YES... I WAS AT THAT SHOW............ I remember this idiot... glad they got rid of him..

Cheering for your favorite corps and being a problem for those around you are two

different things.... This community of ours has to remember the word TACT when we

are at shows... hopefully, many will read this, and think twice before yelling out something

we all dont want/care to hear !!!

Reminds me when I go to WGI in Dayton every year. ANY TIME a guard from TEXAS comes

on the floor, the "texans...I'll call them" would sing out ..."the stars at night are big and bright

..clap clap clap clap... deep in the heart of Texas.... followed by hoots and hollars..!!!

Just completey annoying !!! Very 2nd class, and tactless !!! Theres a difference between

being a fan and being and idiot !!!! wish the minority would learn this.. so that we all

can enjoy the shows !!!!!

Mike

There are times when some people can be irratating, but a Drum Corps show isn't an opera house either.

According to some of the people on this thread, they would prefer that behaviour at drum corps shows be more "decorous" (whatever that means) than an opera house even. I think they'd prefer the symphony. :ph34r: No thanks!

Edited by CreativeType

I'd be the first to condemn the random yelling of names, sayings, thoughts, etc. during the course of a show. When I was much younger, and just a fan, I always thought it was accepted practice to yell something out prior to the start of a Corps' show. However, once I became a performer, I found the senseless yelling during the course of a show could, in fact, be a distraction to the performers - and to the fans. That being said, its being going on for years. I remember that 1995 was a particularly bad year for it. People apparently felt duty bound to yell something out during every mp section of the entire show. If you listen to the ballad during that year, you'll know what I mean.

However, I believe the original point of this thread was to ascertain the reasons/source behind the "They're always ready" shout that commonly occurs at many Drum Corps shows. Having previously pointed out the BD tradition, I would expand that to say that many of the BD alumni carry out the same tradition whenever they see a BD performance.

As to actual basis for its origination, its not important. My intent was merely to point out that this particular phase is a sanctioned, accepted, and expected practice amongst the BD organization and the BD family. But, its hardly been patented or copyrighted.

Edited by ssgt94

Wayne B or Tim S, perhaps?? :ph34r::smile:

Sam? Are you smoking loco weed again? In 1971, Wayne still hadn't discovered B-corps, and Tim was marching in another small corps in SoCal. Neither had worn a VK uniform yet. If Tim was at a show in 71, he was most likely on the field at retreat, too.

Garry in Vegas

According to some of the people on this thread, they would prefer that behaviour at drum corps shows be more "decorous" (whatever that means) than an opera house even. I think they'd prefer the symphony. :ph34r: No thanks!

Every post on this thread is numbered. This one is #67.

What most of us are objecting to is rude people at drum corps shows. Please reference the exact post where someone said they preferred opera house manners to drum corps. I didn't read that.

Perhaps you read into a post something that wasn't there?

Edited by wvu80

Reminds me when I go to WGI in Dayton every year. ANY TIME a guard from TEXAS comes

on the floor, the "texans...I'll call them" would sing out ..."the stars at night are big and bright

..clap clap clap clap... deep in the heart of Texas.... followed by hoots and hollars..!!!

Just completey annoying !!! Very 2nd class, and tactless !!! Theres a difference between

being a fan and being and idiot !!!! wish the minority would learn this.. so that we all

can enjoy the shows !!!!!

Mike

Them are fightin' words Mike :ph34r:

Sam? Are you smoking loco weed again? In 1971, Wayne still hadn't discovered B-corps, and Tim was marching in another small corps in SoCal. Neither had worn a VK uniform yet. If Tim was at a show in 71, he was most likely on the field at retreat, too.

Garry in Vegas

No smoking....but those are the 2 I could see yelling it.