PHANTOM - Dropping out of the TOP 5 ?

Please understand that shows that occur on weekdays mean almost NOTHING. It's how they do Friday and Saturday. My guess is a new ending will be in and they'll be right back in third, waiting to see if Cavies peak early.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please understand that shows that occur on weekdays mean almost NOTHING. It's how they do Friday and Saturday. My guess is a new ending will be in and they'll be right back in third, waiting to see if Cavies peak early.

Was that in response to me?

It seems Phantom more often finishes strong than doesn't in recent years. See 2002, 2003, 2006, 2001 maybe...

I believe that if the judges call another same old, same old "big three"....Devs, Cavs, Cadets......you are going to have many, many people screaming FOUL................

That is an understatement. There will be more than screaming!

... 05?

and why in the world is 01 on there?

I was trying to recall years where they gave an extra push the last night or two to go up in placement...not just their numeric placement.

I'm not going to concern myself with where they place.

They are fortunate to still be around. Imagine all the corps that no longer exist and if all they had to ponder was not making top 5?

At the rate that the activity is going, in 10 years it could very well be that all that are left are 5 corps.

Since they first entered finals, Phantom has dropped to as much as 10th place. They reinvented themselves and clmbed back up against a lot of odds. In fact, they have had to climb back more than once.

I was trying to recall years where they gave an extra push the last night or two to go up in placement...not just their numeric placement.

1990....they were running in 6th most of the latter part of the year. They put on a great push to tie for 4th.

1991....we were 5th or 6th place at Preview of Champions. Then we started to knock off one corps every weekend. We actually took down Cavaliers at the last show before Finals Week. We thought we had a good shot at 2nd, or even upsetting Star if we cleaned up enough.

1993...again, we were 5th or 6th place at POC and had to fight back.

1994....once more, we were 5th place at POC and lost to the 6th place corps a few times. We ended up in 3rd place.

1996....they were in 4th place at Quarters. The rest is history.

I think right now Phantom and Crown are battling each other. But unfortunately I don't think they have much more room to clean (same with Devs but they're way ahead of everyone else). However, watch out for SCV and Cadets. I don't think Cadets will win this year but their show could continue the cleaning, same with SCV.

I wouldn't be surprised if finals ended: BD, Cavies, Cadets, Phantom, SCV, Crown, Bluecoats. With the real slight chance of Cadets and SCV moving up one more.

You know --

I have spent the past two days analyzing, comparing and re-watching BOTH Regiment & Crown's show from SA, and according to the rankings on the DCI site -- there is a possibility that Regiment could miss the top 5 come finals --

July 16 - July 23

Rank Corps Avg. Score

7/16 - 7/23 Rank Change*

World Class

1 Blue Devils 91.931 +1

2 The Cavaliers 91.208 -1

3 The Cadets 90.119 +1

4 Carolina Crown 89.869 -1

5 Phantom Regiment 89.544 0

Now given the slim margin between CC/PR, it's GOT TO BE disheartening to PR and euphorious to CC staff and kids, especially if Crown bests them 1-2 more times! What ever PR has in the bag, IT BETTER be good and it better be soon or they be in the 7 -12 tier!!

Whoa, everybody calm down. The corps is fantastic this year and the show rocks. All will be well come August 9th, don't worry.

Everyone, take a few deep breaths. In '96, Regiment was sitting in 5th place coming into dci. Just taking a glance at things, it seems that everything is still 'up in the air'. This show and corps is something special - just enjoy it and stop worrying about the green-shirts.