BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

Has the corps even stated that this will be a PERMANENT change for 2009 and beyond???

nothing's permanent in drum corps it seems.. but why would you get them and then switch again right away.. that just doesnt make sense.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing's permanent in drum corps it seems.. but why would you get them and then switch again right away.. that just doesnt make sense.

Perhaps the issue was so bad that they felt a change for the remainder of this season was necessary, they wanted new helmets but there was no time to order or receive new better fitted ones.

Edited by rut-roh

The only minor problem I have is with the plume. I thnk they should've gone all dark blue instead of the white on blue. Other than that, no biggie for me.

And losing their identity? They still have the star on the uni and shako, yes?

hmmm...This is disappointing, but not surprising.

Going to be interesting to hear what the members think.

Well, my son is a third year mello and the "point" on many of the moves in the drill this year. He loves the shako vs. the helmet because, when he's doing a 4 to 5 or 3 to 5 at 192, the shako stays put. Those helmets were so old and cracked and distorted, they no longer fit anyone's head. The only way to get them to stay would have been large wood screws all the way through the skull. Drum corps hurts sometimes, but not THAT much.

The only minor problem I have is with the plume. I thnk they should've gone all dark blue instead of the white on blue. Other than that, no biggie for me.

And losing their identity? They still have the star on the uni and shako, yes?

Slapping a four-pointed star on the uniforms has nothing to do with the Blue Stars' visual identity that's existed for the better part of forty years. Yes, I know there have been detail changes over the years, but until last year the overall uniform idea hadn't changed. There was no question who was taking the field when you looked at the corps no matter how big it was. Now they could be anybody.

"...The only way to get them to stay would have been large wood screws all the way through the skull..."

so you're saying duct tape was not an option?

:cool:

so you're saying duct tape was not an option?

:worthy:

They tried that :cool: . And foam. And bicycle helmet inserts. Those helmets just have a really shallow, odd shape on the inside. Other than screws or Superglue, I don't think anything else would help.

Well, my son is a third year mello and the "point" on many of the moves in the drill this year. He loves the shako vs. the helmet because, when he's doing a 4 to 5 or 3 to 5 at 192, the shako stays put. Those helmets were so old and cracked and distorted, they no longer fit anyone's head. The only way to get them to stay would have been large wood screws all the way through the skull. Drum corps hurts sometimes, but not THAT much.

I was on tour with them for quite some time. I know they took great pride in those helmets, just wasn't sure how much they loved them in terms of "history." And you're right, they were a huge pain. Lots of very creative ways to try and get them to fit well. I thought the inserts were working well...guess not.

And Chris is a great young man. You should be ####ed proud of your son.

Dave, I marched in the old uni, I marched under the old hood. I would have much preffered to march in the current gear then what I marched in.

Wow, Im starting to sound a little bitt like I hated when I marched. I didn't. I loved when I marched I loved who I marched with. I am the Blue Stars.

Yes things are different very different. If I were to have disapeared for the a few years and all of a sudden showed up at a random show, I may not recognize this corps. Maybe not until they were introduced. But you know what I would have said after I figured out who they were....... "Man those unis look amazing"

Again, I congradulate the Executive comitte, the BOD, and any one else who had this difficult desicion to make. You did right by me

Things were going to change. It's impossible to go through life with out evolving. It was time.

I can't get used to the Blue Stars in skakos....

What, it's been like about 28 hours? Maybe you could learn to live with it in time.

It's not like when the Bridgemen reinvented themselves by going from the cadet style uni's to the long yellow coats.

Why not - because you say so?

This might turn out to be a mistake, but we'll see.

I don't really think Blue Star's competitive fortunes are going to hinge too seriously on this decision. No disrespect, and who am I to judge anyone's personal opinion or preference. But I think folks are making a big deal out of nothing. Would you want someone to tell you that you could never change your hair style?

regards,

Fred O.