BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

Interesting that those most upset by the helmet change seem to have marched during the DII and DIII days. Most of the alumni I marched with in the 70s do not seem all that peeved about it. Maybe we are all watching our blood pressure. :tongue:

Personally, I like the new look. I also appreciated the classic uniform, but changes like this are part of the evolution of the activity.

For those who are complaining the most, go back and read from the first part of "The Years" regarding Blue Stars history. The corps from the first days had an attitude that if you are going to do drum corps, do it to be as competive as possible. Why spend the time and effort if you are not willing to put a program on the field that gives the members a chance to win (or at least place as high as possible). In 2008, if that means new uniforms and helmets, then so be it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that those most upset by the helmet change seem to have marched during the DII and DIII days. Most of the alumni I marched with in the 70s do not seem all that peeved about it. Maybe we are all watching our blood pressure. :tongue:

Personally, I like the new look. I also appreciated the classic uniform, but changes like this are part of the evolution of the activity.

For those who are complaining the most, go back and read from the first part of "The Years" regarding Blue Stars history. The corps from the first days had an attitude that if you are going to do drum corps, do it to be as competive as possible. Why spend the time and effort if you are not willing to put a program on the field that gives the members a chance to win (or at least place as high as possible). In 2008, if that means new uniforms and helmets, then so be it.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, particularly about those who are complaining the loudest!!!!!

Brad Furlano had a really good post about this on the blue stars forum this morning:

http://www.bluestars.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7885

All this nashing of teeth is great and stuff, but are there actually any pictures of the corps, on the field, with the new headgear on?

I think this one has run it's course. I was ###### when I saw they went to Shakos but they don't look all that bad. I never knew they had so many problems with the helmets. Good enough. Please close now!

Slapping a four-pointed star on the uniforms has nothing to do with the Blue Stars' visual identity that's existed for the better part of forty years. Yes, I know there have been detail changes over the years, but until last year the overall uniform idea hadn't changed. There was no question who was taking the field when you looked at the corps no matter how big it was. Now they could be anybody.

And so could Blue Devils and Bluecoats. Those uniforms are virtually interchangeable except for the lid. I for one am glad to see a "blue corps" that isn't taking the easy road out in blue and black.

How many times has Phantom changed their uni? What happened to the purple sleeve? How can you be all black one year and all white the next and hold on to tradition?

That helmet was ugly. Good riddance!