Crown's Guard in 3rd?

Marching in a guard that won Guard does not give you knowledge of how to win, it gave your staff knowledge......

I by no means am saying this about the poster because every case is different , but, this is very true...many people who come out of successful summer guard peograms and winter programs think they can teach and cant.....Ask the hundreds of band directors who hire some of these people. As I said not judging the poster they may be very talented but the activity seems to be breeding many wanna be, arrogant individuals and YES some very talented people who just need at times to SHUT UP and learn.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I by no means am saying this about the poster because every case is different , but, this is very true...many people who come out of successful summer guard peograms and winter programs think they can teach and cant.....Ask the hundreds of band directors who hire some of these people. As I said not judging the poster they may be very talented but the activity seems to be breeding many wanna be, arrogant individuals and YES some very talented people who just need at times to SHUT UP and learn.

Ok, After I saw my own post ,maybe I was a little harsh with the last line...sorry to the ones who truly want to add to this activity, to those 17 yr olds who think they are ready..please watch and learn.

Remember when figure skaters had to go through compulsories in addition to their rehearsed routines?

Maybe we should have each corps compete in a basics block.....each guard to compete doing compulsories?

Would never happen, but it WOULD be interesting.

Unlike some in this forum, I don't have a "Hot Dog" corps. I watch all of them because I respect all of the corps in the activity.

Didn't say give Crown the trophy.

As I stated ealrier, Crown, Cavies, and BD guards will trade back and forth all the way to finals, but if you are fair and objective, you will see that there is a step higher in demand with Crowns guard than with BD or Cavies.

Whether it translates into a guard trophy that is up to the judges and not me.

And everyone said; "thank Goodness"

That's not fair and objective.

It's an opinion.

Here's another:

Crown's guard program appeals to the people to liked their program last year because the programs are fairly similar. I think Crown is doing great things, and I think they execute at a high level, but ultimately, I think BD's contribution to the overall show is a bit stronger.

I also think the Devils have a higher level of demand. They are tossing higher than other guards, and they have more members tossing than other guards. They're moving more, and they're dealing with placement/integration issues that are more unique than most other guards. Let's face it: for Crown, the flags are generally in back, the rifles generally in front, then a big hit comes and everyone grabs a flag, and then the number is over.

I think BD's guard is doing things that are much more distinctive. Yes, the poles are one thing. But beyond that, the opening statement with the yellow flags, the way that form progresses -- always in front of the entire hornline -- and turns into a really fun dance routine, and how in sync they manage to stay even when they're moving all over the place, is really impressive. And the second number? with the pairs of rifles throwing back and forth and members rolling around all over the place? No demand? You've got to be kidding me. Also, I think BD's guard -- like BD's overall show -- has a little more personality than Crown's.

It's not the performance; it's the program. The performers in each guard are working at similarly high levels -- I mean, really, these two guards are in the stratosphere. But BD's is the guard to remember this year.

It's an opinion.

Here's another:

Crown's guard program appeals to the people to liked their program last year because the programs are fairly similar. I think Crown is doing great things, and I think they execute at a high level, but ultimately, I think BD's contribution to the overall show is a bit stronger.

I also think the Devils have a higher level of demand. They are tossing higher than other guards, and they have more members tossing than other guards. They're moving more, and they're dealing with placement/integration issues that are more unique than most other guards. Let's face it: for Crown, the flags are generally in back, the rifles generally in front, then a big hit comes and everyone grabs a flag, and then the number is over.

I think BD's guard is doing things that are much more distinctive. Yes, the poles are one thing. But beyond that, the opening statement with the yellow flags, the way that form progresses -- always in front of the entire hornline -- and turns into a really fun dance routine, and how in sync they manage to stay even when they're moving all over the place, is really impressive. And the second number? with the pairs of rifles throwing back and forth and members rolling around all over the place? No demand? You've got to be kidding me. Also, I think BD's guard -- like BD's overall show -- has a little more personality than Crown's.

It's not the performance; it's the program. The performers in each guard are working at similarly high levels -- I mean, really, these two guards are in the stratosphere. But BD's is the guard to remember this year.

Your my new hero.

And BD's performance is so much more energetic due to their phenomenal performance skills and THEIR DANCING!

Most guards just have some form of bastardized ballet or jazz, but BD, they have actual pure dance technique. It's not watered down and

it's not half ###ed. It's brilliant. When other guards do movement I cringe, but when it's BD I cheer!

And I agree about BD and tossing. Who else is tossing sixes as an entire guard this year? No one. Hardly any of the weapon lines this year

are tossing sixes to begin with.

It's an opinion.

Here's another:

I agree with all of this. BD is throwing WAY higher than everyone else. It seems almost every toss is a 6 or above. Crown is excellent and doing hard stuff, but it strikes me as very conventional, especially the staging. The flags are very often in some sort of frame around the corps, they do the required sabre + interpretive dance work in the ballad, etc. After repeated viewings both live and on video, I don't see what they are projecting that screams Crazy Conductor other than the outfits. What they do ls fun, but BD's guard is really selling the Absurdity idea with their constant 'balancing' and all the other unique twists they throw in. I always respect their guard but sometimes feel there is too much dance or too much non-visual impact weapon, but not this year. The whole show is a joy to watch and they put so much personality into everything.

If Crown takes the quality they have and combines it with more risk next year, they could walk away with the trophy, but right now, I still feel it is BD's to lose.

On another note, Cavaliers should get a prize for most demanding work while wearing a cumbersome outfit. That is a lot of stuff they have on.

I've been in love with BD's guard since I first started following DCI in '06 (I know, I'm a newb, but I still get an opinion). I keep "Phenomenon of Cool" on my iPod at all times, partially because their guard really shows genuine dance skill to go with their equipment routines (and partially because of that cymbal rack :shutup: ). They're amazing with their equipment, yes, but what I believe sets them apart is the fact that they're great at EVERY movement they perform. Their dancing adds so much depth to the jazzy arrangements I love hearing from BD. And they toss so freakin HIGH! My girlfriend, a member of my HS marching band's guard (I'm percussion captain; we laugh at the cliche :shutup:), was in awe watching their entire guard launch their rifles into the sky, have them spin in perfect unison, and catch them flawlessly, every time.

I attended the show in Charlotte last night and reviewing the scores this morning, I was shocked to see that Crown's guard placed third last night. I am in no way knocking Cavaliers or BD...I enjoyed both of their shows and their guards were outsanding but in my opinion, Crown was in another league. I had a family member there with me (former Cadets guard member) and she agreed that Crown's guard was probably one of the best units she had ever seen. Just thought I'd vent a bit on here and make it known that I disgree with the placement.

Any thoughts???

But you are knocking BD and Cavies, and I find it difficult to believe that you were suprised of the placements since BD and Cavies have been beating Crown im most shows this year.

Edited by jmc5682

I find it funny that some people think that tossing high is the mark of a great color guard.

I have not seen Cavies or Crown live. I am one of the many unlucky people who don't get to see all those corps unless they travel west of the rockies.

All I have been hearing is how Crown is amazing this year, and they were out of this world LAST year.

BD, IMHO, are up there only because they are BD. I watched most of their California shows, and I can't tell you much about their guard. Except that exposed belly buttons is almost as taky as wearing a neon sign. In other words, they were a snooze fest for me. I actually found the corps more entertaining than the guard.