The fact is the corps that march well would still score well, the corps that don't would not score well, nothing has changed. Also how many so called straight lines do you see nowadays. Back the if you were in a arc you stood there for a while or slowly moved to another set or formation. Now that form may change in as little as 2 counts. The first year I marched on the field was 1963, my official "age out" year for marching was 2000 so, I've seen the transition up close and personal. In the old way of judging I think it might be the judge that got creamed.

Agreed, IMO the biggest change in judging marching is the score now almost all concetrates on the big picture (how it comes across is the cliche I remember) instead of some big picure/GE and some execution. Of course if the basic marching is off the score is affected but not as badly as tic.... tic... tic... (Using present day #### near 100 point final scores as justification for that last sentence.)

BTW, the point of my last post was to point out to the newer people that DC was past the squad system of marching while still using the tic system. Know you and Gene know this but lot of DCPers might not have an idea of drill during the end of the "tic era". Sorry if that was unclear.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're speaking of D.C.I. Once again In D.C.A, the tic system was in place until the end of the 1986 season.

Actually I was speaking of 84BDsop...

If I remember correctly DCA adopted the buildup system in "87"

That's correct - Bush's first drum championship (and first chamionship overall) in '86 was achieved during the last year of the tick system.

Although there had been various content/analysis/demand captions in place for a number of years prior, DCI went to the build-up system across the board in 1984, as correctly stated elswhere in this thread.

regards,

Fred O.

Btw, it's "tick," not "tic." At least that's how Jim Unrath spelled it in the old DCI "Blue Book" (Rules & Interpretations Manual) back during the early days of DCI. Unless they've changed the spelling, or unless DCA's Blue (or whatever color) Book has a different take on it - ?

peace...

Edited by drumno5

Btw, it's "tick," not "tic." At least that's how Jim Unrath spelled it in the old DCI "Blue Book" (Rules & Interpretations Manual) back during the early days of DCI. Unless they've changed the spelling, or unless DCA's Blue (or whatever color) Book has a different take on it - ?

peace...

Fred O.

Jim Unrath. Now that's a name I haven't seen anywhere on any postings. My old Business Manager & Corps Director from the Des Plaines Vanguard back in the mid to late '60's. Saw him last at the Corps Reunion back in 2004. He was one of the golden "voices" on Chicago's premier classical music FM station, WFMT back then, and is a great individual.

Edited by Vanguard Rich

That's correct - Bush's first drum championship (and first chamionship overall) in '86 was achieved during the last year of the tick system.

Although there had been various content/analysis/demand captions in place for a number of years prior, DCI went to the build-up system across the board in 1984, as correctly stated elswhere in this thread.

regards,

Fred O.

peace...

Hey Fred:

Yes it is a Tick, having worked for many years in the environmental field I would think of tics as in tentitively identified compounds in a GC -Mass Spec run and I had to fight off ticks while doing field work. That glorious 86 undefeated percussion title which still may be the largest percussion caption win in D.C.A history is the reason I remember the year of the changeover in the judging system.

Hey Fred:

Yes it is a Tick, having worked for many years in the environmental field I would think of tics as in tentitively identified compounds in a GC -Mass Spec run and I had to fight off ticks while doing field work. That glorious 86 undefeated percussion title which still may be the largest percussion caption win in D.C.A history is the reason I remember the year of the changeover in the judging system.

Frank,

Yeah, you guys really threw it down in '86. Tick system or otherwise, there was no holding that line back!

Great to hear from you - hope all is well,

Fred O.