all of the subcaptions had analysis portions, so the what was weighted, but not as heavily as the how. The big issue was the tolerance level in ticks how they varied from judge to judge

Another question: Were there any "build up" points on the field judges sheets for this "analysis", for Bugles, Drums and M & M, or were those strictly on the GE sheets for the judges up in the "Box"?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question: Were there any "build up" points on the field judges sheets for this "analysis", for Bugles, Drums and M & M, or were those strictly on the GE sheets for the judges up in the "Box"?

If you go way back to 1971 the VFW execution sheets had, in the case of drumming anyway, 17 points for ticks and 3 point buildup for 'difficulty'.

That allocation changed over the next few years until the addition of the Analysis judges. I have a vague memory that early on the drum execution sheet was 12 points with PA being 8.

totally off topic, sorry.

There was a guy that played bari with Archie, maybe still does, but his young son joined our corps as a soprano.

Frankie and his dad used GULF® Bug Repellent for valve oil! A couple of other guys tried it, but it smelled too bad for me.

Just wondering if it would've kept the TICKS away :smile: !

If you go way back to 1971 the VFW execution sheets had, in the case of drumming anyway, 17 points for ticks and 3 point buildup for 'difficulty'.

That allocation changed over the next few years until the addition of the Analysis judges. I have a vague memory that early on the drum execution sheet was 12 points with PA being 8.

Rewind to the early 60's ... the breakdown was M&M 30 ... Horns 30 ... Drums 30 ... GE 10 ... each GE Caption got 10 points and then they were added and divided by 3 ... that's why there were so many xx.333 or xx.666 scores ... on the drum sheets circa 66 there was a "difficulty" box, which I thought maxed out at 3.5 ... in 1968 each GE caption got 10 point a piece for a total of 30 pts. ... M&< Stayed at 30 while drums and horns dropped to 20 for execution ... I flipped to DCA in 68 and the best I can recal is that Eric Perrilloux introduced the Perc Analysis sheet to DCA in 71 and it was indeed worth 8 pts ... ironic note: Eric judged Sky in PA in 71 after he had left the corps and had us in 3rd ... the funny thing was that he wrote 1/2 the show in 1970!!!! ... LOL ...

Andy "some things I remember ... some things I don't" Lisko

There was a guy that played bari with Archie, maybe still does, but his young son joined our corps as a soprano.

Frankie and his dad used GULF® Bug Repellent for valve oil! A couple of other guys tried it, but it smelled too bad for me.

Just wondering if it would've kept the TICKS away :worthy: !

:smile:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

DUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!

PAT

Just wondering if it would've kept the TICKS away :smile: !

:worthy: Marty: Which smells worse, the repellant or an "Old Buccanneer"????? :worthy::worthy::worthy: Edited by Vanguard Rich

Rewind to the early 60's ... the breakdown was M&M 30 ... Horns 30 ... Drums 30 ... GE 10 ... each GE Caption got 10 points and then they were added and divided by 3 ... that's why there were so many xx.333 or xx.666 scores ... on the drum sheets circa 66 there was a "difficulty" box, which I thought maxed out at 3.5 ... in 1968 each GE caption got 10 point a piece for a total of 30 pts. ... M&< Stayed at 30 while drums and horns dropped to 20 for execution ... I flipped to DCA in 68 and the best I can recal is that Eric Perrilloux introduced the Perc Analysis sheet to DCA in 71 and it was indeed worth 8 pts ... ironic note: Eric judged Sky in PA in 71 after he had left the corps and had us in 3rd ... the funny thing was that he wrote 1/2 the show in 1970!!!! ... LOL ...

Andy "some things I remember ... some things I don't" Lisko

I'm wondering why they kept M & M at 30?? Maybe so a Corps wouldn't run out of "ticks" and get a Zero score for marching? Look, Ma, no ticks on me!!! That's one way to get rid of 'em!!!??? None left with a Zero M & M score.

I'm wondering why they kept M & M at 30?? Maybe so a Corps wouldn't run out of "ticks" and get a Zero score for marching? Look, Ma, no ticks on me!!! That's one way to get rid of 'em!!!??? None left with a Zero M & M score.

The logic at the time was that the "entire" corps marched ... therefore it deserved the biggest point balance ... at least that's how I remember it ...

Andy "I had a false start, causing a bad attack, and got ticked twice on the same move!" Lisko

The logic at the time was that the "entire" corps marched ... therefore it deserved the biggest point balance ... at least that's how I remember it ...

Andy "I had a false start, causing a bad attack, and got ticked twice on the same move!" Lisko

One show with Sun, the exit company front took off without me. Talk about feeling lonely. For a split second I thought, how could they all be that wrong. Then, I thought I would spin around and play like it was supposed to be that way. I think it was the wail juice that made me think that.

Edited by gsksun4

Guessing that was tha American Legion and/or VFW during that time. Somewhere buried in NanciDs blog of early 1960s Drum Corps News articles are pieces fighting over making GE more of the score.

Think the feeling from AL/VFW was that precision was more important than being entertaining.

Extra heavy of the execution was just another thing that the people that started DCA didn't like about the AL version of Durm Corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari