No wonder Drum Corps moved away from VFW and AL venues because of crazy stuff like AF penalties killing Corps, and restricted tempos (between 120 & 132 if I'm correct) which "killed" any kind of creativity with music scores.

Restricted tempos?? Wow, we learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the replies guys this is all very interesting!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i'm finding it very educational as well!

thanks for starting this thread Christine!!!! :worthy:

Anyone have an idea when the AL or VFW quit having the restricted tempo in their shows?

Have some old recordings and possible at least one is all 120-132 with the exception of the concert number (VFW 1954 IIRC).

No wonder Drum Corps moved away from VFW and AL venues because of crazy stuff like AF penalties killing Corps, and restricted tempos (between 120 & 132 if I'm correct) which "killed" any kind of creativity with music scores.

Was never aware of restricted tempos but, to include AF penalties in your description of Crazy stuff......well......I'm sure many of those past and present of our Armed Services would tend to disagree. These veterans basically started this activity we enjoy today and asked only one thing. Respect the colors. These Corps' KNEW the rules from the get go and many, if not all, Corps' today still offer that respect........Win OR Lose....they never used that as an excuse.

Edited by melligene

Guessing that was tha American Legion and/or VFW during that time. Somewhere buried in NanciDs blog of early 1960s Drum Corps News articles are pieces fighting over making GE more of the score.

I think there was actually a letter or article by Don Angelica pushing for just that...and the World Open used a 30-point GE caption early on, I think. I know they did in 1971, as I have seen a recap, even as the VFW still used just 10.

We got hit with a whopper American flag penalty at VFW in Miami in 1970. The penalty made us drop at least 5 places from the teens to the twenties.

Hastily put together prelim drill that didn't work very well, right at the end of the show, but ya gotta own it.

The same year the Cavies almost got flag penalized right out of finals, as they were assessed a bunch in prelims....ended up 11th while placing 3rd at finals.

Was never aware of restricted tempos but, to include AF penalties in your description of Crazy stuff......well......I'm sure many of those past and present of our Armed Services would tend to disagree. These veterans basically started this activity we enjoy today and asked only one thing. Respect the colors. These Corps' KNEW the rules from the get go and many, if not all, Corps' today still offer that respect........Win OR Lose....they never used that as an excuse.

No disrespect for the colors was ever intended by my comments here, regarding penalties. That's why I believe many of the Alumni Corps still have them today, to show that respect. My participation with BAA for veterans has even increased that respect for me. I look at a flag flown over Soldier Field every day in my office, to remind me of what that flag represents. And I apologize to any one who has been offended by this comment.

Anyone have an idea when the AL or VFW quit having the restricted tempo in their shows?

Have some old recordings and possible at least one is all 120-132 with the exception of the concert number (VFW 1954 IIRC).

It was only the VFW that had a cadence rule in the postwar years. It was a separate 10 point sheet. The specified range was 128-132.

The cadence was sampled for 15 seconds, three times in each show. Off the line, out of concert, and during the exit number. Crafty designers could employ other tempos at other times in the show, but few did. The corps was required to be in motion, all feet moving, for a minimum of 8 minutes. The cadence rule did not apply during stop time. No stop time was allowed in the 5-6 minute prelims drill.

The margin for error was very small. Penalties were harsh, meted out in .4 increments. If VFW Contest Chairman Tony Schlecta didn't like you, you might get a cadence penalty from his crony. There was no way to dispute the penalty, and the recaps were not published until a couple of months later.

The 128-132 rule pretty much defined and restricted the style of rudimental drumming until the DCA/DCI era.

Guessing that was tha American Legion and/or VFW during that time. Somewhere buried in NanciDs blog of early 1960s Drum Corps News articles are pieces fighting over making GE more of the score.

Think the feeling from AL/VFW was that precision was more important than being entertaining.

Extra heavy of the execution was just another thing that the people that started DCA didn't like about the AL version of Durm Corps.

So, (ducking to get out of the line of fire) DCI is just reverting back to the days of the past? When precision was more important than being entertaining???