:worthy: Marty: Which smells worse, the repellant or an "Old Buccanneer"????? :smile::worthy::worthy:

That was with my junior corps, the Brookhaven Crusaders.

However, I guess you could say smell, but one repels ticks and one draws flies!

Like this...not so easy...lots of erasing and redoing...

CaddisAdult.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logic at the time was that the "entire" corps marched ... therefore it deserved the biggest point balance ... at least that's how I remember it ...

Nail on the head. And let's not forget that was all negated by the even more dreaded American Flag penalties which could happen by a single errant footfall.

Puppet

Nail on the head. And let's not forget that was all negated by the even more dreaded American Flag penalties which could happen by a single errant footfall.

Puppet

We got hit with a whopper American flag penalty at VFW in Miami in 1970. The penalty made us drop at least 5 places from the teens to the twenties.

Hastily put together prelim drill that didn't work very well, right at the end of the show, but ya gotta own it.

We got hit by a "phantom" AF penalty in the middle of the season and took a week or two to figure it out. (Thank goodness, the chief judge only caught us once.)

Turned out the CG added some people and one of them was closer to the sideline than the colors during the color pre. At least, what I remember is a lot of sitting around at practice in our end of color pre set while staff members (CG and DIs) are screaming at each other. :smile:

The St. Ritas Brassmen were victimized by major AF penalties at the 69 and 71 World Open competitions, still bugs me to this day. I should let it go.................................................... ok, I feel a little better now.

Edited by Fastone

The St. Ritas Brassmen were victimized by major AF penalties at the 69 and 71 World Open competitions, still bugs me to this day. I should let it go.................................................... ok, I feel a little better now.

No wonder Drum Corps moved away from VFW and AL venues because of crazy stuff like AF penalties killing Corps, and restricted tempos (between 120 & 132 if I'm correct) which "killed" any kind of creativity with music scores.

If by AF you are referring to the American Flag.......and if memory serves me correctly... an AF infraction was considered a major violation (disrespect to the colors.....and probably an American Legion or VFW protocol ) and was a 1 full point deduction, which equates to 10 minor ( 1 tic/per) errors.

The rule may or may not still be in effect. Not sure....but I assume that is why you see the "A" guard

march across the field to a stationary position. Just sayin.....

If by AF you are referring to the American Flag.......and if memory serves me correctly... an AF infraction was considered a major violation (disrespect to the colors.....and probably an American Legion or VFW protocol ) and was a 1 full point deduction, which equates to 10 minor ( 1 tic/per) errors.

The rule may or may not still be in effect. Not sure....but I assume that is why you see the "A" guard

Yes, not only was it one point for stepping on or going over a boundary line, it was another point for coming back onto the field as well as a couple more tenths for weaponry. The boundaries are set up differently now so, it's not as big of an issue.

Yes, AF = American Flag. If I am correct on this, the DCA All-Age American Legion Championship coincides with the DCA Championship, and in order to be considered competing in the AL competition, the Corps had to have an AF squad on the field. I remember a number of Corps who were competing in Scranton, "borrowed" the Chicago Royal Airs' AF squad so they could compete. Imagine that???