• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who marched in the 80s, I would just like to know what year did the judging change from "tic system" to a mark up system? I think DCI was in 1985, did DCA change that year as well?

I think 83 was a combo....84 was the first year of build up across the board. (thank God....becuase I was a tick machine at some places!)

If I remember correctly DCA adopted the buildup system in "87"

I would have sworn DCA was before DCI but the mind is mush... I will accept fast frankie's date... but I became visual caption chief in '87 and I'd would have sworn we were already on a full build up system... ah well...

An a good appointment it was. The tick system was gone by the time I became Judge Co-ordinator. I can remember a tie my first year, a tie my 2nd year and I sat with the Bush and Sun and went down caption by caption untill the tie was broken. There was no tick system.

By the way it was broken on the last tie breaker, GUARD.

So build up started before 1988.

It is far superior than a tick system. The tick system gives no credit for what you do. just how you do it.

So build up started before 1988. It is far superior than a tick system. The tick system gives no credit for what you do. just how you do it.

As its been quite a while for a number of us competed under the old "tick" system, its been difficult to remember certain elements of this "system". Questions: Wasn't the General Effect score supposed to also give a Corps credit for the difficulty of a show as well, or was this not taken into consideration under this caption? Also, with the overall value of GE scoring being only 20% or so of the entire Corps score, GE wasn't a big enough part to overcome a lower "execution" score for more "ticks" for performing a more difficult & intricate show, was it? Comments, please.

all of the subcaptions had analysis portions, so the what was weighted, but not as heavily as the how. The big issue was the tolerance level in ticks how they varied from judge to judge

DCI, as stated earlier was '84. DCA was a funny transition, as many of the guys continued to tick on scrap paper, then translated it to a "build up" system. It was a scream during the transition.

:tongue: