French Horns

Its a color in the tapestry of sound which is very much missed.

Amen to that!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to play French Horn in '05. The mouthpiece is a concern, but there are some that have rims suited for marching. My Bach 10S and Schilke 30 are well suited for it. Unfortunately I was using a Schilke 31 in '05. And the season was halfway over by the time I finally got it from a local music store. I was mainly doing french horn because I like it's sound, and I figured that the extra resistence would help my range. Given that up until that point I had played nothing but Euph in drumcorps. And the resistence did help my range. But being a Euph guy, I like to play loud, and I just couldn't do it on Frenchie. I switched to Mello for the last two weeks and I could play 3x's louder with 30% the effort. And the corps score jamp 8 points after the switch.

When the Renegades were using frenchies, they only had like 3 players on them. They switched to mellos because they just couldn't get the players for them, iirc. It's just a lot easier to play / recruit for mellophone. One other thing that I noticed when I did the french horn thing, is that if you're just slightly dehydrated before/during the show, and you can pretty write off having a decent/good show. Just my take.

I tried to play French Horn in '05. The mouthpiece is a concern, but there are some that have rims suited for marching. My Bach 10S and Schilke 30 are well suited for it. Unfortunately I was using a Schilke 31 in '05. And the season was halfway over by the time I finally got it from a local music store. I was mainly doing french horn because I like it's sound, and I figured that the extra resistence would help my range. Given that up until that point I had played nothing but Euph in drumcorps. And the resistence did help my range. But being a Euph guy, I like to play loud, and I just couldn't do it on Frenchie. I switched to Mello for the last two weeks and I could play 3x's louder with 30% the effort. And the corps score jamp 8 points after the switch.

When the Renegades were using frenchies, they only had like 3 players on them. They switched to mellos because they just couldn't get the players for them, iirc. It's just a lot easier to play / recruit for mellophone. One other thing that I noticed when I did the french horn thing, is that if you're just slightly dehydrated before/during the show, and you can pretty write off having a decent/good show. Just my take.

One of my best friends and a former TBIRD was a converted BariSax player who played and excellent French horn bugle. How....? He has no LIPS.......( well....he really has LIPS.....but his mouth is essentially Flat) Now that I think about it.....we had (6) Frenchies who were really good but also ALL flat Lipped.

Never saw "PEPE" up close so I don't know if he was in that group. (Mike Siglow....white courtesy phone.....)

Edited by melligene

One of my best friends and a former TBIRD was a converted BariSax player who played and excellent French horn bugle. How....? He has no LIPS.......( well....he really has LIPS.....but his mouth is essentially Flat) Now that I think about it.....we had (6) Frenchies who were really good but also ALL flat Lipped.

Never saw "PEPE" up close so I don't know if he was in that group. (Mike Siglow....white courtesy phone.....)

My brother played french horn in the Hawthorne Muchachos late 70's... Never notice him flat lipped I'll have to check...LOL... great sound.. Why they stopped using them...Hmmm interesting question any arrangers out there want to chime in?

Is really miss FH, I still have mine in the closet.

I was a pretty loud FH player when I marching and had control. Nalls had to tell me play softer...

I've been using a Holton MDC since High School, I think it's the mouthpiece for marching bar-none...

One other thing that I noticed when I did the french horn thing, is that if you're just slightly dehydrated before/during the show, and you can pretty write off having a decent/good show. Just my take.

I'm with you on this, definitely...... I always had a rougher time playing French horn "dry" than with some hydration. (Some folks who have heard me play will say I just had a rougher time playing, period. :shutup: )

I used to chew GatorGum or some other sour gum as we went onto the field to prevent dry mouth.

Fran

My brother played french horn in the Hawthorne Muchachos late 70's... Never notice him flat lipped I'll have to check...LOL... great sound.. Why they stopped using them...Hmmm interesting question any arrangers out there want to chime in?

Because of the way the competing Corps, both DCI and DCA run around the field these days, it is no surprise to me that this instrument has literally gone "extinct" in today's competing Drum Corps world, because of the playing difficulties generated by the overall field show demands. Hopefully, the Alumni Corps can be creative and start utilizing them again, and not lose this sound forever. We've got a start at least with the Cabs Alumni, but this is for only one number. Even though I'm a lower brass player, I REALLY miss this sound!! The sound that this instrument generates on the field, when properly played is unbelievable. I was hoping to get this kind of a response when I posted this. Keep 'em coming, ladies and gentlemen!!!!! A very interesting question for arrangers, indeed!!! And from a lower brass player, too!!! "Rump, Rump. Rump!!! Or is it "Rip, Rip, Rip"!!!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

the value of the french horn....mmmmmmm.....PEPE ! need i say more ?

the value of the french horn....mmmmmmm.....PEPE ! need i say more ?

No. I hope everyone sees this. Another great tribute to a truly GREAT man!!!

I'm with you on this, definitely...... I always had a rougher time playing French horn "dry" than with some hydration. (Some folks who have heard me play will say I just had a rougher time playing, period. :thumbup: )

I used to chew GatorGum or some other sour gum as we went onto the field to prevent dry mouth.

Fran

French Horns... Well, they're both standing still LOL

1981 "Dream"...

Mr Fran Haring

1981franharingcv8.th.jpg

Direct Link: http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1002/19...anharingcv8.jpg

Then there's Mr Roche from 1982... "STAN!"

1982frenchhornsmartystags1.th.jpg

Direct Link: http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6674/19...martystags1.jpg

Edited by TennTux