Who is closest to Troy Alabama?

I am sure both corps' would welcome her into their organizations. Both have varied styles of music and visual, as well as different touring/performance demands based on their class. So it would depend on what her tastes are in music and visual products as well as time to devote to travel.

Both are well received in the DCA and DCA-South communities and represent their respective competitive classes well !!

And if she can, come check out the GEORGIA DCA-SOUTH TOUR, as both corps' are supporting the South and its member corps' by hosting contests in Douglasville and Alphretta GA. on August 16 & 17. (see above post for links)

May she chose wisely !! :worthy:

Edited by DCASouth

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the ATlanta corps are great corps and have great people running them.

Some things to look for in general when corps shopping

Find out what their tour schedule and rehearsal schedule is and see if plugs into your calendar.Many people find themselves in over their heads once the tour season starts.When the touring starts is no time to be having second thoughts about this.

Find out what the financial condition of the corps is.Ask to see a balance sheet.Any corps worthy of having you as a member should be willing to show you that.If not RUN.If a corps is deep in dept and does not have a game plan on paying off the debt,,that would be a alarm.

Someone mentioned age.Thats important too.You don't want to be 50 and have to keep up with a bunch of 18 year olds that are buff and in shape.Also you will find you have more in common with the people around you if you pick a corps closer to your age.

Distance is also a factor.Explore ride shares from your area.You may find that someone can pick you up along the way or you can split gas from your area.With gas prices what they are it could be a big factor in which corps you choose.

Attend as many rehearsals as you can before you join and see how the corps operates.You will see both the good side and the not so good side of the corps staff at rehearsals.Also look at the support staff.If there is a lot of them and they all have smiles on their face its a good sign when you hit the road they are going to be there for you when you really need something.

Talk with as many members as you can privately via email or in person.As with any organization the staff is going to tell you all the good stuff that goes on and things you want to hear.That's their job and they would be slacking at their job if they did not..Membership may have a different take on how things operate and work and they may share these things with you in private.

Finally look at the show/book they are presenting for the season.Keep in mind this is music you are going to be playing/tossing and marching too all season.If its not your cup of tea chances are you will get bored with it at mid season.

Hope this general information helps you in someway.

Edited by camel lips

Someone mentioned age.Thats important too.You don't want to be 50 and have to keep up with a bunch of 18 year olds that are buff and in shape.Also you will find you have more in common with the people around you if you pick a corps closer to your age.

I don't? :sad:

Man, that's what makes it so fun for me - being able to keep up with the young'ins and remind them every rare once in a while that "dad" is kicking their musical or marching #####.

Seriously though, I am blessed to march with the young folks in our line - they are a cool bunch that teach me a lot, and I do same in return on occasion. They keep me feeling young - and if anything, they certainly are entertaining to watch sometimes ..... :tongue:

refer to signature below for further clarification::

I'm sure it is, you masochist!

last set of the show, and who do you have jazz running backwards trying to sustain a FFF?

:tongue: Bring it on.

......but you could add that to your list along with the 'no more mixed meter' thing........seriously........

Both the ATlanta corps are great corps and have great people running them.

Some things to look for in general when corps shopping

Find out what their tour schedule and rehearsal schedule is and see if plugs into your calendar.Many people find themselves in over their heads once the tour season starts.When the touring starts is no time to be having second thoughts about this.

Find out what the financial condition of the corps is.Ask to see a balance sheet.Any corps worthy of having you as a member should be willing to show you that.If not RUN.If a corps is deep in dept and does not have a game plan on paying off the debt,,that would be a alarm.

Distance is also a factor.Explore ride shares from your area.You may find that someone can pick you up along the way or you can split gas from your area.With gas prices what they are it could be a big factor in which corps you choose.

Attend as many rehearsals as you can before you join and see how the corps operates.You will see both the good side and the not so good side of the corps staff at rehearsals.Also look at the support staff.If there is a lot of them and they all have smiles on their face its a good sign when you hit the road they are going to be there for you when you really need something.

Talk with as many members as you can privately via email or in person.As with any organization the staff is going to tell you all the good stuff that goes on and things you want to hear.That's their job and they would be slacking at their job if they did not..Membership may have a different take on how things operate and work and they may share these things with you in private.

Finally look at the show/book they are presenting for the season.Keep in mind this is music you are going to be playing/tossing and marching too all season.If its not your cup of tea chances are you will get bored with it at mid season.

Hope this general information helps you in someway.

And in the best case senario, expect to be interviewed and skill evaluated by the organization itself.

It's a two way street...............

I'm sure it is, you masochist!

last set of the show, and who do you have jazz running backwards trying to sustain a FFF?

:wink: Bring it on.

......but you could add that to your list along with the 'no more mixed meter' thing........seriously........

You sure you don't want the 3/16 -7/8 alternating meter I've got planned for next year's show: "Common Time. . .It's So Common"? back to the drawing board i guess. :wink:

And in the best case senario, expect to be interviewed and skill evaluated by the organization itself.

It's a two way street...............

Roger that. :wink:

keep in mind though, that all depends on Atlanta's world famous traffic. a trip to Douglasville wouldn't include that, while a trip to Alpharetta would. Either way, get her to march! I'm sure our friends at Alliance would love to have her, as would we.

Yeah, but not really during the weekends.