Thinking of Jason Lowe

It always seems like its around this time of year that I can't help but think what things would have been like if Jason were here. I'm sure he's in Bloomington this week, hanging out with Spirit and waiting for the corps to belt our "Georgia" just one more time. If you have the chance, say a little prayer. It will be six years since we lost him this Saturday.

For those that don't know the story, Jason was a regular here and on RAMD. He was an upbeat young man with a passion for drum corps. He could hype you just by looking at you. Sometimes it could be a little over bearing. But none the less, the kid loved drum corps. I'm not sure when he was diagnosed with cancer, but I know he battled it right up until the end. I was standing on the field at Semifinals in Buffalo in 2001 when Spirit was on the field. (as a member of the broadcast crew). I remember feeling that something wasn't right. Not with the kids, not with the show, but just in general. Later, I learned that Jason had passed.

There is a lot to be learned from Jason's bravery. He faced each day with renewed confidence and enthusiasm. while fighting a disease that made him weak, caused agonizing pain, nd lived through the everyday fear of death. If any gold medal was deserved that year, it was for Jason.

I know AI can't do his story justice, and there are peice's I am missing here and there, so please feel free to add and/or correct.

The thing i miss the most were the IM's of support and his infectious smile. I never for once thought we'd lose him, and when we did, it felt like someone punched me in the gut.

Be easy bro! We miss you.

Photos from Jason's Website:

http://jasonlowe.8k.com/photos.htm

Here is a note Jason wrote to all drum corps rookies just before move in May of 2000:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.marching.drumcorps

Subject: Dunno if you can make it? Read this.

Organization: JPA Protection - "Cause we need tour money."

Reply-To: lowejh@bellsouth.netNOSPAM

Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:43:22 GMT

Now that we're rapidly approaching move-in times for drum corps big

and small, I know for alot of new guys n gals out there, it's getting

pretty scary.

"I dunno if I can do this."

"What if I don't make any friends?"

"3 months... I dunno if I can take it."

"I hope I improve, I really feel behind right now."

How do I know? Because I went through the same thing last season, and

this season, to be honest. Yeah, I may be on home rest healing a major

injury... but come June, we'll see what's going on...

Anyway, I know this all can be really intimidating for you. Especially

those of you who filled a spot late and haven't really had the time to

make any new friends. I've been there, too. It's scary, you don't konw

anyone, and you feel like everyone despises you. It's a bad

feeling....and you may feel like what you're feeling is unusual...it's

not. It's completely natural. I know alot of people that joined late,

not even KNOWING what drum corps was, and ended up marching 2-3-4-5 or

more years.

I'm not gonna lie to you. It's hot. It's miserable. It's not Sesame

Street. It's not a perfect world. You deal with everything you would

in the outside world. Things are tough. Especially all days. Remember

that thing called band camp? Yeah, I know, you think THAT'S bad... so

did I... then there's the 2nd level of hell called all days. But,

don't worry. That is the hardest part of tour, usually. Once you clear

all days - it's smooth sailing. So don't worry. Last year, when *I*

got through all days, I wrote it in my tour diary. "I made it! I made

it!"

I know it's scary. I joined a corps in late March last year, not

knowing ANYONE. Hell, I didn't even know how to play mellophone. I

couldn't do percussion because of my back problems, so I picked up the

horn. Hardest thing I've done in my life. But well worth it. I'm going

into my 2nd year, now. I was just as scared and confused as you are

right now.....unsure if you can do it...unsure if you want to. Believe

me, there's times on tour where I wanted to go home. There's even

people in the big corps.....like Blue Devils, and Santa Clara

Vanguard.. they want to go home too. It's normal! Just don't go home.

You'll be glad you stayed.

Sure, you may hear horror stories. Believe me, most of them are true.

Getting sick, that parking lot brawl, seeing that fat chick naked in

the bus next to yours...

But when you experience them on tour, it's nothing. People WILL get

sick, there WILL be parking lot brawls and there will ALWAYS be a fat

chick naked in the bus next to you. You just gotta know how to handle it.

I know the biggest fear of alot of rookies is.... "showering....with

other guys?? (or girls)"... especially to younger kids, this seems

like a big end of the world fiasco. Being naked with alot of the same

sex. A few weeks into tour, you don't even notice. Trust me.

Now, as for Pilato and Jones... we won't go into their shower fun. But

that's low brass for ya.

Anyways, never fear. You can do it. I did. And I'm the biggest pansy

of them all. Even the ladies say so. Hey, in drum corps, any comments

from the ladies is a sure winner, my friend. In the end, it doesn't

matter where you placed, who you beat, or if you're on the CD's. The

memories.....THAT'S what matters. From bus breakdowns and losing staff

to meeting new friends (that last a lifetime) and mooning that "other"

corps' busses as they pass by... that, my friends, is drum corps.

Plain and simple.

Oh yeah, kickin' a little ### doesn't hurt.

My advice? Don't think about it. Just do it. Pick it up and go. "Don't

let the roller coaster surprise you." Whatever you do, GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

No regrets in the end.

Now, what are you standing around for. Go kick some ###.

Regards,

Jason Lowe

Americanos '99

ASpotSomewhere '00

August 9, 2001

**I ask you to refrain from passing this message along to the members of Spirit or other corps in competition tonight. Our kids need to hear this news from the people who spent the summer with them, and it would devestate them to hear it through the grapevine. Please, respect Jason's wishes and let them be told in person by Spirit's staff.**

This is Ginger, Alan's wife. It has been a very long week here, and one with an ending I hoped would never come. I'm going to try to give you an overview of the last few days. Pull up a chair and some Kleenex, it may be a long post....

As you know, Jason has been back in the hospital this week. On Tuesday, Donnie (his dad) had to tell him that he wouldn't be going home this time. It was an emotional day for all of us, and we cried over the phone together as Jason told us that he "wasn't done yet". He had requested a recording from me of Spirit's hornline playing the arrangement of "With Quiet Courage" that Alan did in his honor, and we were having a hard time getting it to him. Finally, on Wednesday afternoon, we got the recording and headed up to see him.

He was on heavy doses of morphine, so it was hard for him to talk loudly. We had to work to understand him, but he was still full of one liners and "#### and vinegar", and we all enjoyed a few laughs while we were there. Even though he threatened to kick his dad's ### for trying to help him eat, I challenged him to try and whip my ###. He knew that a dose of the "red-headed foot" was not something he wanted to tangle with, so he let me feed him and rub his head for a bit. When I asked if it was pissing him off for me to rub his head, he said, "Naw!! Can't you hear me purring???"

He was very interested in what's going on with the corps, and asked me to give some messages to some folks when we get to Buffalo. He was determined to watch finals on TV Saturday night. On a "it's a small world" note, his respiratory therapist marched in Spirit's guard in 91 and 92...Lana Lamazales. She and Alan had a good chat. I passed along the thoughts and wishes from all of you here who sent me messages for him. He said to tell everyone hello and he misses you.

We spent a little time alone, and that is time I will cherish always. He let me baby him a little bit, rubbing his head, helping him eat and drink, and then he just sat and talked while holding my hand. We were able to say those things that people usually don't say to each other out loud. Please, don't wait until a situation like this to tell your friends how you feel about them. That's been one of his biggest things lately....don't wait, do it now. I'm so glad we did.

The evening was hard, but very good for us. He knew that this was not a battle he would not ultimately win, but as always, he was doing things on his own terms. As I've told him before, but also told him again while we talked, I love him dearly, and he is my hero.

>>Here is a copy of the post I had to put on the Spirit alumni board earlier this evening.<<<<

Unfortunately, at a time of such excitement for the kids in the Spirit, I have to bring bad news to our family. Last night, Jason started getting much worse. At about 4 this morning, Donnie called Diana to come to the hospital, and they said goodbye to him while he could still hear them. He held on all day, but was asleep and not aware of anything. On Tuesday, Donnie had talked with Jason about "when the angels come and hold out their hands, it's okay to take them and go". At about 5:35 p.m., our courageous friend flew with the angels.

He wanted the kids in the corps to know how proud he is of them, and that he is with them in Buffalo. When I spoke with Donnie this afternoon, he said to be sure they knew he was with them. He tried as hard as he could to hold on until finals, but it just didn't work out. He did hold on long enough to hear their song for him, and he knew how much love went into that recording. Donnie also made me promise that we would go on to Buffalo, have a good time, and that Jason would be furious with me if we didn't.

So that you all know, he was not in any pain at all, and was surrounded by the people he loved and loved him when he let go. When we saw him yesterday, I made sure he knew that his entire Spirit and Corpsvets family loved him. We were all so lucky to have shared in his life.

He will be with us in spirit in Buffalo, and in our hearts forever.

I'll post more when I can.

- Ginger

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 5

Reading Ginger's story and the way he passed still makes me teary-eyed. I didn't know Jason, but I know he was a good friend to many, many people and his courage and passion continue to inspire all who hear about his journey.

I hope the seats on the heavenly 50 yard line are amazing, Jason. Peace.

It always seems like its around this time of year that I can't help but think what things would have been like if Jason were here. I'm sure he's in Bloomington this week, hanging out with Spirit and waiting for the corps to belt our "Georgia" just one more time. If you have the chance, say a little prayer. It will be six years since we lost him this Saturday.

For those that don't know the story, Jason was a regular here and on RAMD. He was an upbeat young man with a passion for drum corps. He could hype you just by looking at you. Sometimes it could be a little over bearing. But none the less, the kid loved drum corps. I'm not sure when he was diagnosed with cancer, but I know he battled it right up until the end. I was standing on the field at Semifinals in Buffalo in 2001 when Spirit was on the field. (as a member of the broadcast crew). I remember feeling that something wasn't right. Not with the kids, not with the show, but just in general. Later, I learned that Jason had passed.

There is a lot to be learned from Jason's bravery. He faced each day with renewed confidence and enthusiasm. while fighting a disease that made him weak, caused agonizing pain, nd lived through the everyday fear of death. If any gold medal was deserved that year, it was for Jason.

I know AI can't do his story justice, and there are peice's I am missing here and there, so please feel free to add and/or correct.

The thing i miss the most were the IM's of support and his infectious smile. I never for once thought we'd lose him, and when we did, it felt like someone punched me in the gut.

Be easy bro! We miss you.

Photos from Jason's Website:

http://jasonlowe.8k.com/photos.htm

Here is a note Jason wrote to all drum corps rookies just before move in May of 2000:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.marching.drumcorps

Subject: Dunno if you can make it? Read this.

Organization: JPA Protection - "Cause we need tour money."

Reply-To: lowejh@bellsouth.netNOSPAM

Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:43:22 GMT

Now that we're rapidly approaching move-in times for drum corps big

and small, I know for alot of new guys n gals out there, it's getting

pretty scary.

"I dunno if I can do this."

"What if I don't make any friends?"

"3 months... I dunno if I can take it."

"I hope I improve, I really feel behind right now."

How do I know? Because I went through the same thing last season, and

this season, to be honest. Yeah, I may be on home rest healing a major

injury... but come June, we'll see what's going on...

Anyway, I know this all can be really intimidating for you. Especially

those of you who filled a spot late and haven't really had the time to

make any new friends. I've been there, too. It's scary, you don't konw

anyone, and you feel like everyone despises you. It's a bad

feeling....and you may feel like what you're feeling is unusual...it's

not. It's completely natural. I know alot of people that joined late,

not even KNOWING what drum corps was, and ended up marching 2-3-4-5 or

more years.

I'm not gonna lie to you. It's hot. It's miserable. It's not Sesame

Street. It's not a perfect world. You deal with everything you would

in the outside world. Things are tough. Especially all days. Remember

that thing called band camp? Yeah, I know, you think THAT'S bad... so

did I... then there's the 2nd level of hell called all days. But,

don't worry. That is the hardest part of tour, usually. Once you clear

all days - it's smooth sailing. So don't worry. Last year, when *I*

got through all days, I wrote it in my tour diary. "I made it! I made

it!"

I know it's scary. I joined a corps in late March last year, not

knowing ANYONE. Hell, I didn't even know how to play mellophone. I

couldn't do percussion because of my back problems, so I picked up the

horn. Hardest thing I've done in my life. But well worth it. I'm going

into my 2nd year, now. I was just as scared and confused as you are

right now.....unsure if you can do it...unsure if you want to. Believe

me, there's times on tour where I wanted to go home. There's even

people in the big corps.....like Blue Devils, and Santa Clara

Vanguard.. they want to go home too. It's normal! Just don't go home.

You'll be glad you stayed.

Sure, you may hear horror stories. Believe me, most of them are true.

Getting sick, that parking lot brawl, seeing that fat chick naked in

the bus next to yours...

But when you experience them on tour, it's nothing. People WILL get

sick, there WILL be parking lot brawls and there will ALWAYS be a fat

chick naked in the bus next to you. You just gotta know how to handle it.

I know the biggest fear of alot of rookies is.... "showering....with

other guys?? (or girls)"... especially to younger kids, this seems

like a big end of the world fiasco. Being naked with alot of the same

sex. A few weeks into tour, you don't even notice. Trust me.

Now, as for Pilato and Jones... we won't go into their shower fun. But

that's low brass for ya.

Anyways, never fear. You can do it. I did. And I'm the biggest pansy

of them all. Even the ladies say so. Hey, in drum corps, any comments

from the ladies is a sure winner, my friend. In the end, it doesn't

matter where you placed, who you beat, or if you're on the CD's. The

memories.....THAT'S what matters. From bus breakdowns and losing staff

to meeting new friends (that last a lifetime) and mooning that "other"

corps' busses as they pass by... that, my friends, is drum corps.

Plain and simple.

Oh yeah, kickin' a little ### doesn't hurt.

My advice? Don't think about it. Just do it. Pick it up and go. "Don't

let the roller coaster surprise you." Whatever you do, GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

No regrets in the end.

Now, what are you standing around for. Go kick some ###.

Regards,

Jason Lowe

Americanos '99

ASpotSomewhere '00

August 9, 2001

**I ask you to refrain from passing this message along to the members of Spirit or other corps in competition tonight. Our kids need to hear this news from the people who spent the summer with them, and it would devestate them to hear it through the grapevine. Please, respect Jason's wishes and let them be told in person by Spirit's staff.**

This is Ginger, Alan's wife. It has been a very long week here, and one with an ending I hoped would never come. I'm going to try to give you an overview of the last few days. Pull up a chair and some Kleenex, it may be a long post....

As you know, Jason has been back in the hospital this week. On Tuesday, Donnie (his dad) had to tell him that he wouldn't be going home this time. It was an emotional day for all of us, and we cried over the phone together as Jason told us that he "wasn't done yet". He had requested a recording from me of Spirit's hornline playing the arrangement of "With Quiet Courage" that Alan did in his honor, and we were having a hard time getting it to him. Finally, on Wednesday afternoon, we got the recording and headed up to see him.

He was on heavy doses of morphine, so it was hard for him to talk loudly. We had to work to understand him, but he was still full of one liners and "#### and vinegar", and we all enjoyed a few laughs while we were there. Even though he threatened to kick his dad's ### for trying to help him eat, I challenged him to try and whip my ###. He knew that a dose of the "red-headed foot" was not something he wanted to tangle with, so he let me feed him and rub his head for a bit. When I asked if it was pissing him off for me to rub his head, he said, "Naw!! Can't you hear me purring???"

He was very interested in what's going on with the corps, and asked me to give some messages to some folks when we get to Buffalo. He was determined to watch finals on TV Saturday night. On a "it's a small world" note, his respiratory therapist marched in Spirit's guard in 91 and 92...Lana Lamazales. She and Alan had a good chat. I passed along the thoughts and wishes from all of you here who sent me messages for him. He said to tell everyone hello and he misses you.

We spent a little time alone, and that is time I will cherish always. He let me baby him a little bit, rubbing his head, helping him eat and drink, and then he just sat and talked while holding my hand. We were able to say those things that people usually don't say to each other out loud. Please, don't wait until a situation like this to tell your friends how you feel about them. That's been one of his biggest things lately....don't wait, do it now. I'm so glad we did.

The evening was hard, but very good for us. He knew that this was not a battle he would not ultimately win, but as always, he was doing things on his own terms. As I've told him before, but also told him again while we talked, I love him dearly, and he is my hero.

>>Here is a copy of the post I had to put on the Spirit alumni board earlier this evening.<<<<

Unfortunately, at a time of such excitement for the kids in the Spirit, I have to bring bad news to our family. Last night, Jason started getting much worse. At about 4 this morning, Donnie called Diana to come to the hospital, and they said goodbye to him while he could still hear them. He held on all day, but was asleep and not aware of anything. On Tuesday, Donnie had talked with Jason about "when the angels come and hold out their hands, it's okay to take them and go". At about 5:35 p.m., our courageous friend flew with the angels.

He wanted the kids in the corps to know how proud he is of them, and that he is with them in Buffalo. When I spoke with Donnie this afternoon, he said to be sure they knew he was with them. He tried as hard as he could to hold on until finals, but it just didn't work out. He did hold on long enough to hear their song for him, and he knew how much love went into that recording. Donnie also made me promise that we would go on to Buffalo, have a good time, and that Jason would be furious with me if we didn't.

So that you all know, he was not in any pain at all, and was surrounded by the people he loved and loved him when he let go. When we saw him yesterday, I made sure he knew that his entire Spirit and Corpsvets family loved him. We were all so lucky to have shared in his life.

He will be with us in spirit in Buffalo, and in our hearts forever.

I'll post more when I can.

- Ginger

Newseditor44 & Ginger, Thank You for sharing this on Jason. He has been gone now 6 years. I sobbed and sobbed. We should all realize we could loose our loved ones at anytime, including our Drum Corps families. Always let them know how you feel, cause when they are gone you will always wish you had that one day, one minute to tell them what they meant to you and how they shaped your life. I lost my older brother Joe 26 years ago who marched in Drum Corps for 14 years, he was beloved by so many. I always wished I had just one day, one more minute with him again. The day before he died Joe came to my house & said he was so very sorry can we go back to Montreal in 1982 for The DCI Championships. See Joe & I had a very bad fight 3 months earlier. I said to him, I could care less if you died tomorrow leave me alone. Joe died of an accidental death the next evening. I wish that I had the chance to say I was sorry & to tell him how much I loved him, and how he shaped me into a good caring & giving human being that I am today. Even if we get so mad with the people we love, please be carefull what you say to them, it might be the last thing you ever get to say to them. By telling you this I do not mean to take away from Jason & I do not want sympathy. Your words struck a cord in my heart, I felt what you felt with Jason & I want people to please tell the people that you love how you feel about them before it is to late. Bump on Finals Day for Jason.

Edited by bobk9258

bump

wow ~ all the tears from those days still come right back reading this.

i never met Jason face to face. only spoke with him on RAMD and in emails. yet his humor, his strength and courage had a very profound and lasting effect on me and many of us.

that NASCAR, wrestling and drum corps lovin' redneck is still very loved and missed.

I've lost a few corpsmates in my time. When they die part of you dies too. It's a hell of a way to be reminded of your own mortality. :thumbup:

Reading this amidst all the things that are going on on DCP and in the DCI world, finals, practices, who's changed what, what we do and don't like, what we think, what we want makes me just weep. I didn't know this kid, didn't know this story, none of it but it's inspiring. It's nice to read this today, especially today. Finals. The end of it all for this season.

Let's keep Drum Corps like this. This is what I want to experience and what I hope everyone experiences.

Reading this amidst all the things that are going on on DCP and in the DCI world, finals, practices, who's changed what, what we do and don't like, what we think, what we want makes me just weep. I didn't know this kid, didn't know this story, none of it but it's inspiring. It's nice to read this today, especially today. Finals. The end of it all for this season.

Let's keep Drum Corps like this. This is what I want to experience and what I hope everyone experiences.

My Jason Memorial Page:

http://diceman.home.att.net/jason.htm

ron, i was hoping you would post this. get ready folks, you're gonna need a few hankies. hey liz, you forgot pos orange pickup driving punk. man, i miss that kid. when we found out olivia was on the way, before we knew she was olivia, garry lobbied for jason as a name. we already have a jason in the family, but i would have found a way to put his name in there somewhere.

ya know, he's sitting up there getting a good ole laugh on us old saps. love you jason, always will.

jan