Funny things you've heard fans say at shows

Jeez, talk about a double standard. That's terrible.

I think there should be two different terms; "vocalization" and "narration"

Cadets use narration. They tell the whole story using speech and use the music to accent the story

Bloo used vocalization. They used speech to enhance their show, but they didn't make speech the centerpoint of the show

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past year at Open Class Finals (when Madison was taking the field), I was in the press box for the awards portion. When the Spirit of Disney award was given out, a know-it-all guy was telling the lady he was sitting with that "The first time that this award was given out in Div. 1, the Madison Scouts won it. Their show was the Pirates of the Carribean so you know it was fixed." Too bad the Scouts show involving pirates was Pirates of Lake Mendota.

Edited by melloglory

I think there should be two different terms; "vocalization" and "narration"

I dont get it. Stuff happened in the bluecoats show. There was a narrator. At times, the narrator was describing EXACTLY what was going on on the field. Sometimes, the narrator was actually a voice, talking TO the characters on the field. I just fail to see how thats not 'narration'. I still maintain that the only real difference in bloos narration this year, and cadets the past two, has been quantity. Cadets had 2 to 3 times as much, which certainly warrents more criticism, but its not like they're in another universe or something - certainly not explaining someone loving bloos show and walking out on cadets (which i also witnessed..)

I dont get it. Stuff happened in the bluecoats show. There was a narrator. At times, the narrator was describing EXACTLY what was going on on the field. Sometimes, the narrator was actually a voice, talking TO the characters on the field. I just fail to see how thats not 'narration'. I still maintain that the only real difference in bloos narration this year, and cadets the past two, has been quantity. Cadets had 2 to 3 times as much, which certainly warrents more criticism, but its not like they're in another universe or something - certainly not explaining someone loving bloos show and walking out on cadets (which i also witnessed..)

It IS narration, but since it's about the Bluecoats and not Cadets, its not narration :rock:

I agree 100%.

I still stand by my feelings on the matter...I have NO problem with narration at all. My issue is with electronics.

I must say as funny as some of those things are they are its really dissapointing to hear so many people crack jokes at the expense of the performers. you can try to twist it any other way but thats wat it is. The performers dont pick there show they just dedicate themselves and bust there a** to make it the best show they can. And here people degrade and take away from the hard work and s*** they put in all season for. The last thing I would want is to watch my age out show or my finals show on dvd and hear some big a** hole yell some smart a** remark just to be funny. I dont think its cool and I dont really agree with it. The performers work hard all summer and winter dont take your frustration of amps, props, unis, or whatever out on them by ruining there show it sucks and you guys need to stop its stupid. What ever had to real drum corps fans, the ones that supported corps and performers?

This happened at a marching band show, not a drum corps show.

I was in the audience suffering through a show about a circus. It was a continual series of special effects and gimmicks that had nothing to do with the performers or the performance. For example, streamers popped out of a box...that sort of thing. The band seemed to be an afterthought to the gimmicks.

After the performance was mercifully over, a woman right behind me said to the person next to her, "Our band needs more gimmicks."

I kept quiet, but it wasn't easy.

I must say as funny as some of those things are they are its really dissapointing to hear so many people crack jokes at the expense of the performers. you can try to twist it any other way but thats wat it is. The performers dont pick there show they just dedicate themselves and bust there a** to make it the best show they can. And here people degrade and take away from the hard work and s*** they put in all season for. The last thing I would want is to watch my age out show or my finals show on dvd and hear some big a** hole yell some smart a** remark just to be funny. I dont think its cool and I dont really agree with it. The performers work hard all summer and winter dont take your frustration of amps, props, unis, or whatever out on them by ruining there show it sucks and you guys need to stop its stupid. What ever had to real drum corps fans, the ones that supported corps and performers?

rofl