Now how much would you pay?

Do the MMs have to buy the rings? Or in this case, the MM's parents? :cool:

I had to buy mine. I think that up until a certain point in the 90s maybe that DCI provided them, but after that it became up to the corps.

You can't honestly say if you walked up to a yard sale and a DCI ring was on the table, and the lady says "make me an offer" you would just say "no thanks".

I would offer maybe $50 and then return it to the corps that it belongs to.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't pay anything for mine as an instructor. so i assume the members certainly don't.

Pretty sure they are provided by DCI.

no. BD does pay for their members rings though. not the case with all corps.

Not one cent. Maybe the people that wear corps jackets that never marched would pay top dollar, but not me.

Do you know the person that bought my jacket? Did they march? I don't know either, but they were from Japan, and most likely just relished the thought of owning a peice of DCI history? I am still curious as to why such incredible animosity over people and their, THEIR, collections? The venom is kind of sad, but it is the sign of the times. I hope a lot of you won't ever bid, because that means I will get it for a lot less. Just so you know, I don't own a single thing from Madison, except for some of the soda cups that had the world championships logo on them. So be proud.

We didn't have to pay for our rings as members in '96. Mine is pretty boring and probably didn't cost all that much. It's what it signifies that makes it worth so much to me.

Mark, I'll give you $10.00 for your ring. That way I can wear one on both hands!!!! :cool:

For a history lesson, DCI first awarded very plain rings - very much like high school class rings - starting in 1980. BD got the first rings. I know - I was teaching 27th, and admired them when I saw them in 1981. I heard that some corps - perhaps only BD - had purchased rings for those championship years prior to 1980.

Since then, DCI pays each corps an amount for the rings, and it is up to each corps to decide how much more - or less - they want to contribute. Blue Devils rings in 2003 were awesome bling - on the magnitude of a world championship ring from any sport.

As to the original question - I would buy a ring for a corps that I loved. And I'd wear it. I suppose not more than $100. A ring from a corps who show really thrilled me might get a little more.

I look at eBay a lot. If I saw a DCI ring I would bid $25-$30. If I won I would put it back up on eBay and promote it here on DCP. Hopefully someone would buy it for what it might be worth, $100 or so. I would have no problem doing that.

For Phantom's first ring I'd say about...... $1,996

didn't pay anything for mine as an instructor. so i assume the members certainly don't.

Pretty sure they are provided by DCI.

One note though, they usualy take ring sizes in the lot after the show.

If they did that this year, make sure to get sized again at a jewelry store this week and change your order.

I remember in 96 everyones hands were swollen from the summer heat and exertion and as a result most peoples rings were like 2 sizes too big when we got them in November LOL

My son was in the 2004 and 2006 Cavaliers and he had to buy his own championship rings. We got the cheapest ones we could get at 200.00 a ring. They send an order form to the members and have them size their own rings then send their orders in. Don't know if this is the same for all Corps or not.

We didn't have to pay for our rings as members in '96. Mine is pretty boring and probably didn't cost all that much. It's what it signifies that makes it worth so much to me.

Mark, I'll give you $10.00 for your ring. That way I can wear one on both hands!!!! :cool:

Gonna have to add several more zeros to the left of the decimal point Mark LOL

To be honest I think I have only ever worn mine once.

Seems kind of dorky to wear it if you ask me.

Its on a shelf with the rest of my old drum corps stuff LOL

Now whoever said $1,996 is heading in the right direction LOL

add another 0 to that, $19,960 and I might just fork it over LOL