at a minicorps competition...........

Nope!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope!

In my opinion YES.

I can tell you that The Charioteers had around 15-18 horns back in 1972 or so and they were competitive. Lets face it, the real reason is MONEY! Show sponsors want to make money. But if you have a small corps or two and then have 5 larger DCA corps...what's the harm?

I would still pay for the ticket to see the show AND purchase items from concessions. I John Doe and his friends want to go to the concession stand during the tiny East Podunk Marauders who have 14 horns and 6 drummers and 8 guard...who wins? THE SPONSOR! Why? They got the money from the ticket as well as money from concessions. HELLO..win/win!!!

Maybe some of you don't want to see those corps but who are any of us to deny an organization the right to participate/compete? Discrimmination? Boy we really haven't come a long baby. BITD way had small corps, medium corps, large corps, all-girl corps, all-male corps and had shows all over the country. Now we're stuck with what DCI and DCA have to offer...because they're the only game "in town." There aren't other circuits to participate in. Where did Empire start out?

People will side with whatever corps they are affiliated with...I am affiliated with the fans and I don't believe that corps size is the problem.

Continue with the discussion

at a minicorps competition...........

I don’t buy for one minute the notion that DCA is holding back the development of your (you/your being generic of course) corps and/or the activity itself. To me, the argument seems to contradict itself. I think holding your organization to a standard to meet is actually giving you a goal to meet which, in turn means your corps is growing. Win Win

That is not to say that today I want to start a new drum corps and tomorrow I’ll be in the position to compete. Does Rome being built in a day mean anything?

Some here have mentioned lowering the number from 35, to what? What number will make everyone happy, because you know if you say 30 the next guy will say 25 and when is enough actually enough?

Flipping the coin - do you think maybe some are straying away from committing because you are so small AND you want to compete in corps that is so small? The thought of competing while at this stage is just too much and would rather stay away then have the hard reality of a score that is extremely low. If you have 10, 15 horns why not do parades, exhibitions. Some areas don’t pay, but maybe doing it gratis will be the local exposure needed to jump start it? Local can also be a relative term of course, doesn’t have to be in the same town, perhaps put a 50 mile radius on jobs you’ll do. Saturate your name out there, network, talk to everyone. 99 of a hundred people may look at you weird but it only takes that 1 person to help spring board your corps. If you have 20 members and those 20 speak about what their hobby to 100 people well………

Okay, here's the counter (sort of) to that. We have one of those locally. They get paid (as a corps) to play. The members are charged no dues. They miss MOST of the local DCA type shows BECAUSE they are getting PAID to play ELSEWHERE on that same date. And they have no goals to ever do a non-local (>200 miles) DCA show. While it is very advantageous to go that route. If we went that route, we would have no need for DCA. Surely that's NOT what DCA is TRYing to encourage. But by denying us competitive status that IS what they ARE encouraging. 99 versions of Blast one the wall, 99 versions of Blast... Take one down and pass it around, 98 versions of Blast on the wall.

As far as straying from committing. The 35 minimum does not include drum majors, honor guard, support staff, or your monkeys uncle. You could have 500 uniformed members on the field and still fail to meet the minimum. Technically we had 34 members at our first drill camp this year. BUT, because of the 35 rule we opted not to commit to DCA because we were too close to the minimum, with no sure fire way to guarantee that we'd have the 35 minimum by DCA. There was just too great of a chance that we'd be one short because of a flight delay/cancellation, school, or some other drama. With a 35 minimum that doesn't include everyone, we can't in good conscious commit to DCA without at least 40, more like 50 members for most of the season. Factor in a $500 DCA evaluation and other stumbling blocks that DCA puts in our path, and DCA quickly becomes a goal that not's all that attractive.

As I envision todays corps that are negatively affected by this rule becoming tomorrows voting members of DCA. Imagine the stupid rules they could come up with to PUNISH the founders of this rule. If they're still around. As it is that type of playground community we appear to be fostering by even having this rule.

As I envision todays corps that are negatively affected by this rule becoming tomorrows voting members of DCA. Imagine the stupid rules they could come up with to PUNISH the founders of this rule. If they're still around. As it is that type of playground community we appear to be fostering by even having this rule.

Yes....corps will receive a 20 point penalty for wearing bell bottoms or wearing no head gear or swinging their arms to much, etc. A penalty for bad conducting by a drum major or a penalty for cracking notes in a solo. Boy we could go on and on about stupid penalties.

As I envision todays corps that are negatively affected by this rule becoming tomorrows voting members of DCA. Imagine the stupid rules they could come up with to PUNISH the founders of this rule. If they're still around.

How does the old saying go.

Be kind to the people as you are climbing up the ladder because you will see them on the way back down the ladder.

Or something to that effect.

Looks like the return of Ramd:

Yes....corps will receive a 20 point penalty for wearing bell bottoms or wearing no head gear or swinging their arms to much, etc. A penalty for bad conducting by a drum major or a penalty for cracking notes in a solo. Boy we could go on and on about stupid penalties.

I think what shadow is referring to would be if the new voting block were to take effect they would come up with rules to punish the corps that voted for the 35.

I don't know of any future voting members that would do such a thing.I think any new blood coming in would want to pass rules that would better build up DCA rather than tear it down.

Just my 99 cents worth.That and 99 cents will get you a double cheeseburger at McDonalds.

Edited by camel lips

So the discussion of this rule always gets thrown back to, and defended by saying things like:

..... remember, this idea came from show sponsors.
On one side of the 35 rule fence is DCA admin types having to beg show sponsors to take a corps into their show at SOME shows. The 35 rule gives them an out.

And this question has been asked many times, in many ways, in the past(a few times in this thread alone):

What are the names of the show sponsors that wanted this rule passed?
I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe that all but two of the sanctioned DCA shows this season are sponsored by A DRUM CORPS. So I'm trying really hard to figure out just who the "show sponsors" are that we are protecting here.
Who (what person/persons) came up with this idea in the first place?

And there is never an answer. I also wonder, who specifically are these "sponsors"? But I am sure the answer will never be said. As Contraholic said, all the shows he has been to are sponsored by other corps. So is it really other corps that don't want the little fish swimming in their big pond?

However, here is one person of a sponsoring group that speaks against the rule:

As a show sponser, I loved to see Austin, Masquarade, WGM, and other "small" groups perform and entertain at our shows. More people does not equal a more entertaining in a corps (Alot of folks on DCP tend to whine about how boring DCI has become...) If a $pon$er is afraid of having low quality at their show, they maybe need to do a bit of research before asking a particular group to come. Down here there is no big money paying groups to come, no travel stipend, no appearence fees...if we want a corps with 30 members to come and be judged, who is it really hurting?

Disclaimer: These are my opinions, they don't reflect GCS or our board of directors, just me listening to myself talk...

Far from it! Nothing like RAMD and thank The LORD!!!!

We agree to disagree here. We all have our opinions and I believe we respect each other. Once in awhile a rogue slips in but they go away.

Looks like the return of Ramd: