Class A 35 minimum rule

Maybe .1 is not enough. How about 2 points per person under the 35?

In my opinion.

There does need to be some tweaking needed for the 35 member rule.

There have been some small corps in the 35 or just under area that have been pretty darn good in the past (and we are missing the under ones, Now). Heat Wave and Shenandoah Sound come to mind. Some others that were not so hot I will admit. Perhaps a Penalty. 1 point for each member short of the 35. This for groups that have NOT been showing up week after week with 35 or just over, down to say 30. More than that and you are OUT of Compition. Then maybe a smaller one for those with LEGIT reasons. How about a .1 penalty for each member under, but usually has the 35.

I do like the Idea of the 21 to 35 Field Mini Corps. Maybe they could have slightly different score sheets, and ONLY be used as Judged Exhibition. Maybe make them stay between the two 30 or 40 yard lines. (That would be good for all. They get out in Public and people Do Not Expect to see the Buc's, MBI, CorpsVets or someone like that).

I don't know. But, surely something might help in this area.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a penalty for having under 35 members is a good idea to throw on the table and discuss, it would keep corps dedicated to having the minimum members on the field, but allows groups that show up at a contest missing a few members (For whatever reason) the chance to compete.

I think in my perfect world I would lower the minimum to 30, charge a 1 point/person for groups between 25-30, and a set 10 point penalty for groups under 25. New groups or those falling under 30 in two or more contests the previous year would need a DCA review in the spring/summer for permission to compete. This will help make sure judges/funds are not being wasted on groups that are not working towards an improved corps.

Thoughts? Throw some more ideas out-what is the best way to resolve this?

(Also, is there really a judge that counts the people on the field at regular season contests? Who gets stuck with that honor?)

Maybe .1 is not enough. How about 2 points per person under the 35?

Keith:

In the idea I had. ONE point for each "person short" in groups that did NOT have a season History of having the 35. So if a group came to DCA Championships 5 short that would be 5 Points. Any more than 5 short. Not allowed to compete.

The .1 was for groups that may have had a LEGIT reason for being short (each person) this one time or so.

Anyway, at least a try, to get some ideas they can talk about at the Next Rules meeting. Something MORE Positive and more Inclusive.

Also liked the Mini Field Corps Idea. Again Inclusive and Posittive.

Keith:

In the idea I had. ONE point for each "person short" in groups that did NOT have a season History of having the 35. So if a group came to DCA Championships 5 short that would be 5 Points. Any more than 5 short. Not allowed to compete.

The .1 was for groups that may have had a LEGIT reason for being short (each person) this one time or so.

Anyway, at least a try, to get some ideas they can talk about at the Next Rules meeting. Something MORE Positive and more Inclusive.

Also liked the Mini Field Corps Idea. Again Inclusive and Posittive.

I think there might be a lot of politics as to who has legit reasons and who does not. Also, would you tell the judges your reasons before the show, when you are still hoping that last flight gets in, or do you have to visit the press box after the show but before awards and get scores adjusted? Or, would the very first show of the season you are under you get the lower penalty, and each time afterward you get the harsher penalty? Could you get the lower penalty for both shows of a two-show weekend, or would your score drop several points the second night? Could you choose to take the harsher penalty early in the season, and save the lighter penalty for August "just in case" you need it for a higher seeding score at Prelims?

Interesting idea, but it might be better to have just one penalty across the board to make things simpler.

How's this for a thought...

The points that are being made for limiting the number to 35 seem to boil down to:

Can a group that small entertain the paying crowd?

Can a group that small compete effectively?

Can a group that small be worthwhile to the show sponsors?

How about you eliminate the 35 rule altogether, and in it's place make a rule that any corps that scores less than a 50.00 (or 55, or 60), doesn't receive a share point/show fee or whatever remuneration is provided, nor do they get an official score recorded. Possibly have that rule kick in after July 1 or some other date, so that the early shows still have participation.

Doing that would then place the burden on the corps to make a much more critical decision - if they don't have the chops to put out a quality product, they should "censor" themselves. If they do go to the show's they've committed to, and receive a lesser score, the sponsors aren't out anything, the corps gets their judged score, just not recorded, and the fans have something to talk about.

A corps that comes out with 10 horns/5 drums/5 guard could still make an effective showing, or they could get shot down by their GE scores due to lack of field presence.

I don’t buy for one minute the notion that DCA is holding back the development of your (you/your being generic of course) corps and/or the activity itself. To me, the argument seems to contradict itself. I think holding your organization to a standard to meet is actually giving you a goal to meet which, in turn means your corps is growing. Win Win

That is not to say that today I want to start a new drum corps and tomorrow I’ll be in the position to compete. Does Rome being built in a day mean anything?

Some here have mentioned lowering the number from 35, to what? What number will make everyone happy, because you know if you say 30 the next guy will say 25 and when is enough actually enough?

Flipping the coin - do you think maybe some are straying away from committing because you are so small AND you want to compete in corps that is so small? The thought of competing while at this stage is just too much and would rather stay away then have the hard reality of a score that is extremely low. If you have 10, 15 horns why not do parades, exhibitions. Some areas don’t pay, but maybe doing it gratis will be the local exposure needed to jump start it? Local can also be a relative term of course, doesn’t have to be in the same town, perhaps put a 50 mile radius on jobs you’ll do. Saturate your name out there, network, talk to everyone. 99 of a hundred people may look at you weird but it only takes that 1 person to help spring board your corps. If you have 20 members and those 20 speak about what their hobby to 100 people well………

I think if you want it bad enough, you’ll far exceed the minimum requirement eventually and this whole conversation will be looked back on as silly, and I hope so very shorty which will mean the growth is continuing.

Every organization in all walks of life and society began with one person, one dream, one goal…………..

The .1 was for groups that may have had a LEGIT reason for being short

Bring a note from home?

"Dear contest director...my son could not attend the show today because he had to wash his hair.

Signed: Epstein's mother" :rock:

30 members gets you into DCI shows, but that doesn;t help if you want to do a DCA one.

MY big beef with the minimum was less the number to field at a show and more about the gap bewteen mini corps and Class A...there is currently NO provision to allow a corps falling within that gap to compete unless they drop members for mini or somehow pad their numbers for field.

A field-mini/super-mini division would plug that gap...but the gap should've been considerd when the rul ewas put into place.

It's really hard to say this without insulting some small corps, but here goes. To me, it's pitiful and excruciating to watch a handful of people running around in circles trying to do do drill on a football field. You hear every individual horn player. 'The one snare was very clean"...... etc. I'm sorry, there has to be minimum. Now, you could create a new venue, say "Field Mini-Corps". Outside on the smaller field like in 2005? Now that was fun! We were actually on the field at DCA's. Edit: Limits are 2 to 34, all skate. Indoor mini-corps is turning into stagebands anyway.

Ive seen some pretty cool hornlines with less than 20 folks that could do a park and blow and be very entertaining.Add in some visual stuff some stuff to vitalize the audience and you got yourself a show.

Ive seen some pretty cool hornlines with less than 20 folks that could do a park and blow and be very entertaining.Add in some visual stuff some stuff to vitalize the audience and you got yourself a show.

at a minicorps competition...........

here's a thought tho about tough decisions early in the year.......why go out and get no money to do shows under 35 members and run up bills or expenses for members?

while it does suck doing nothing, it's also cheaper

So...thats your answer then.....if you arent able to put together a big group then just give up and dont try?

If all of the small start ups took this attitude they would never grow at all. It benefits these small start ups to get out in front of as many people as possible as many times in the year as possible in order to effectively market and recruit for their group.

This year's edition of GCS is not the largest group that we have ever fielded because we have several vets who are taking this season off and luckily we added in a few rookies who saw us in various parades and shows around town but I guarantee that we can be just as entertaining at 34 as we are at 35. Its just sad that sponsors are too short sighted to see how badly the numbers rule cripples the growth of prospective corps.