OK Olde Phartz

Ditto here, my friend.

Went to the Quarterfinals at my local theater, was bored with all but 4 or 5 shows, found that the pit amplification was way too 'hot'... I don't want to hear marimba's over a hornline playing at fff, I don't want small ensembles buried under pit noise, I don't (next year) want to hear mic'd brass over the mic'd pit. Electronics ruined high school shows (for me) and college shows (I marched at RCC) and my last bastion of pure accoustic joy with drum and bugle corps... I gave it some time to grow on me but year after year I'm disappointed with everyones fascination with the toys. For me, LESS electroics is the answer, not more. So while I enjoyed the ride, my long-term love affair with dci is over... thankfully Phantom gave me something to cheer for on my way out the door...

i will agree the sound at the theater isnt the best, but live, things sound much better balanced

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come we had 30+ pages when people suspected BD of using a pitch modulator last year and yet no one has said anything about the OBVIOUS use of delay and reverb on the string and wind instruments used by Cavaliers. I enjoyed their use and really didn't mind them but still lets see some consistency.

I haven't left yet but I am not letting the exceptions (Phantom, Crown, Glassmen) disprove the trend towards esoteric, unapproachable, psuedo intellectual crap that is invading DCI.

Amen!!!!!! That is exactly how I have felt about these contrived themes.

Real themes based on a musical or film or opera or ballet, I have no problems with (Les Miz, Phantom of the Opera, James Bond, Phantom at the Opera, Tschaikowsky show (with his ballets), etc.). Themes based on the music of a composer or a country seem to be ok. The Samurai theme and Machine themes were good.

Another theme I felt worked, but don't know how to categorize it was 1995 Cadets. It was pretty obscure music of John Williams. It was very melodic and it told a wonderful story.

P.S. Spartacus was a Ballet not an Opera

For example the boxing match this year did not need the narration or the actors, it would have worked fine with the three great pieces of music played very well as they did. (BTW has a Drum Corps played The Boxer before???)

It was great to see the Blue Stars back in, but how does Camille Saint Saens relate to a bike race.........but the judges need a theme. I won't even begin on the "I believe" show.

The only real ending for a sentence that begins with "I believe" is "I believe I will have another beer". (right Norm!!!) :smile:

Don't know when it really started I just remember ( I think it was Glassmen...sorry if I am wrong) in the 80's with some sort of theme about child hood and playing new age music and the guard was dressed like little girls and had balloons. I think that is when these "esoteric, unapproachable, psuedo intellectual crap" themes started. I didn't get the themes then and I don't get them now.

Likewise Blue Devils theme could have been "At the Circus", "Walking the TightRope of Life", Cirque De Soleil, etc.

It's not needed, just play 1,2,3 or 4 good pieces of music. All this pseudo intellectual crap is not needed. You don't need one to go to a Symphony, or a Dance Program or a Choir Concert.

I have found many, if not most really contrived and certainly NOT NEEDED.

Edited by pianolover1

I hope the changes will drive away some of the "legacy fans"

THEY DRIVE ME WACKO always expecting things to be the way they were when THEY marched, and thinking the shows are designed for THEM instead of the marching members

Sooner old timers are gone the better IMO

Sorry to be blunt but that's my few - if DCI doesn't continue to change it will die

THEY DRIVE ME WACKO always expecting things to be the way they were when THEY marched, and thinking the shows are designed for THEM instead of the marching members

Sorry to be blunt but that's my few - if DCI doesn't continue to change it will die

Can't wait to see you in another 10 years.... :smile:

In my experience, those who complain the most about others, end up doing the same thing themselves.....

PS - Regarding the "sooner old timers are gone" comment. When do you suppose you'll be an old timer and should leave? (Think I know the answer but will wait. :smile: )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Now as someone who was a big supporter of several DCI corps before job loss in 2003, 22 months out of work, and a new job paying 35% less than my old one did made me re-evaluate spending, I have a request for all this new blood: OPEN YOUR #### WALLETS.

If you want us dinosaurs gone, you have to realize that the monetary support tends to go with it. Based on the number of letters stuffing my mailbox this season asking for extra money, it would appear that y'all aren't filling the gap that us old reptiles have left. Time to put up.... :smile:

Thanks for reading. :smile:

in the world of entertainment, of which Drum Corps is,, (hence the audience),, for someone to say the shows are designed for the members and not the people watching (old timers), is really kind of a lame evaluation don't you think?

When the shows become for the members,, the crowds leave,,, there is no support for the corps on whole,, and the spectacle know as drum corps will finally disappear. Then, what will the members have??

the LEGACY people tend to know from whence we come.. and as mentioned,, tend to be the backbone of the movement support and volunteer wise... trying to keep the movement alive and growing..

<rant mode off>

the LEGACY people tend to know from whence we come.. and as mentioned,, tend to be the backbone of the movement support and volunteer wise... trying to keep the movement alive and growing..

The poster who started this stream of posts did not say ALL legacy fans...he said...

...some of the "legacy fans"

The wonderful people you are mentioning are in no way part of what the poster is talking about, IMO.

I agree.

Had a great time at the only junior shows I saw.... in Westminster, MD, and the "quarterfinals at the movies" show. I "got" most of the shows... certainly enjoyed most of them... and several just floored me, especially Phantom Regiment's program. That is on my short list of best shows I've ever seen. Sheer power and emotion.

But the one rules change I have to wonder about is the one allowing miked brass. That, to me, has the potential to fundamentally alter that trademark "drum corps sound" that is unique to this activity.

Plus, to be perfectly honest, at any of the band shows I've worked, when the woodwinds are miked for a solo or whatever, they've always sounded very tinny and thin to me. Not good, if this also happens with brass. A story for another thread, I suppose.

Bottom line....I was very happy with the overall DCI product this year.

Fran

I have to agree that miced brass bothers me a lot; certainly much more that electronics if used tastefully. I admit to not being an expert on electronics but when I have heard brass instruments miced they don't sound good. It seems to strip away some of the overtones that are crucial to a good brass sound. Trumpets in paticular end up sounding tinny as you say and in the upper register really pierce through and hurt your ears. I hope most corps will think twice a not do this (unfortunately I know someone will).

I expect in many cases, especially with the best arrangers, the electronics will somewhat blend into the overall colors and sound of the pit.

no....olde phartz are defined one....by age....and two....by attitude.

"You kids get off my lawn."

"Drum corps don't play any recognizable tunes anymore."

"We should bring back the tic system."

"DCI is destroying drum corps."

How am I doing with the attitude part?

Pretty accurate in my book.

Your attitude is coming across loud and clear, but probably not the one you intended to convey.