Phantom and Romeo and Juliet?

Return to the Winter Palace?

I can just hear Brazale yelling "FIRST 5, LAST 5" over n over LOL

For those who never noticed, in the 87 show the lasy 5 moves of the show were the same as the first 5 only in reverse.

So every day, the last thing we did was first 5, last 5

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So with the obvious (and deserved!!!!) recent success Phantom have had with rejuvinated shows (Firebird, Spaticus). Do you think they will carry on in the same direction? If so, what show do you think is next? Romeo and juliet, new world Symphony, Swan lake? or what show would you like to see phantom do?

I would love to see them or any top corp redo West Side Story. Awesome music by Bernstein, lots of action sequences and fantastic story line to be acted out on the field. could be another winner for Phantom. This show was performed about 20 years ago, 1997, by Skyriders, I believe, finished 12 th with it but it is one of my favs to watch over and over.

Symphonie Fantastique would be aprapos in that it is another Regiment show from the past that never got the recognition it deserved. The story line of an opium induced dream is interesting. Some say Berlioz wrote the last 2 movements while in his own opium induced stupor. Think of the visuals with a guillotine(sp)

An Excalibur show of the Arthurian story set to Wagner's Gotterdamerung(sp) could be interesting.

Even though both works were done by the Regiment previously, an updated chart by JD and a modern visual program would be sweet.

Ok, so we're progressing from violence to drug use now :smile:

Return to the Winter Palace

I'd go Nuts if they did that. One of my first expsoures to dci was '87 from my band director at band camp showing a video from Finals. One of my all time favorite PR Shows.

or

Symphonie Fantastique :smile::smile::cool:

Edited by Zeke

Someone mentioned Wagner. What about The Flying Duchman? Could use the great dramatic music/story and work in a little of Britten's Sea Interludes from another great watery opera Peter Grimes. Having guys in the guard opens up posiblities like this.

Better yet they could go out on a huge limb and do the overtly homoerotic Billy Budd also by Banjamin Britten. Don't forget an opera version of Brokeback Mountain is coming too. :smile:

I would love to see them or any top corp redo West Side Story.

Hate to say it, but WSS actually IS a retelling of R&J.

As for Romeo and Juliet I vote a big no. It is absolutely the most overdone and certainly silliest of all the Shakespear plays. I can hardly even sit through an opera, stage or ballet version without rolling my eyes at the stupidity of the characters and how little relevance it has to real life. Family fueds, poison and love suicides. Please, people have real problems now it is all so old and silly to me. At least West Side Story got it better.

I vote for Othello!!!

Someone mentioned Wagner. What about The Flying Duchman? Could use the great dramatic music/story and work in a little of Britten's Sea Interludes from another great watery opera Peter Grimes. Having guys in the guard opens up posiblities like this.

Better yet they could go out on a huge limb and do the overtly homoerotic Billy Budd also by Banjamin Britten. Don't forget an opera version of Brokeback Mountain is coming too. :smile:

heh heh, maybe some pirates of the carribean music :smile::cool:

they could also throw in williams' sea symphony if were gonna keep up the list of british composers. of course, without the narrations... (now im just giving hoppy some ideas :worthy: )

i could totally see them doing "storm" from the 4 sea interludes

I'd go Nuts if they did that. One of my first expsoures to dci was '87 from my band director at band camp showing a video from Finals. One of my all time favorite PR Shows.

or

Symphonie Fantastique :smile::smile::cool:

I very strongly doubt they will redo 1987 'Winter palace'. at QF in theaters, Valenzeula (sp?) said he was dragged kicking and screaming that he did not want to redo 'Spartacus', but he would only if it was a completely different take.

A staff of a World Champion s going to want to put their own ideas on the field, not a 20+ year rehash, no matter how awesome the orig was.