All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

I know. That's why I was asking.

It's cool man. I'm from there, so hearing guys reference it from back when they were marching is kind of cool. And anyone that's spent time in Fresno knows it's not that bad, there are areas to avoid, but every city's like that, and 90% of the city is great. Just avoid it in the summer months if you like temperatures under 110 with no breeze

• 1 month later...

My favorite moment...? To quote Charlie Sheen, "Duh, Winning!" ;)

Having marched with a lower tier corps like Jon did prior to joining SCV in 1984, I too got the jitters after we won Pacific Procession for the first time that year. I had forgotten about the '85 DCI Texas win, as for me there weren't any real highs that season. In fact, it was kind of tragic watching a certain marching instructor (CA) implode during Finals Week and effectively end his career at SCV.

Top Moments:

DATR '84 and getting the call over the bus radio from Gail to pull out the white pants, and feeling invincible when we put them on. PR's reaction (they were standing relaxed & chatting with one another) as we "steamed in" under the stands like the QE2 and stood next to them prior to the Olympic retreat, and hearing one PR vet say, "Shut up, rookie, the Vanguard's coming." Then the ripple parade rest went down our line to a collective "Geee-zus..." next to us. We won the show, and put a lot of folks on notice that '84 SCV was not going to be a "down" year as some had thought given that so many SCV vets had taken the season off to do the Olympic Band that year.

I know this may not be a huge deal for some, but cradling SCV's first ever Jim Ott Trophy in my arms on the bus ride back to our housing site (Rick South had handed it to me and said, "Here, guard this...you earned it.") was IT for me. Sure, we tied for horns and High Visual, but to me the JO trophy just cemented that I had done my job.

Edited by TRacer

• 2 months later...

1974 ,Hawthorne Muchachos in Finals, High leg lift at a tempo of 152. Amazing performance. A time when drum corps still entertained. 32 years and still nobody has matched Jeff Kivets solo's. I hears there is a song on itunes

Drum Corps Day or something like that that talks about that performance.Amazing corps that got turned in by west coast corps for overage members,but an amazing corps Went from 7th in prelims to 3rd in finals. That would not happen today. Opener is on youtube ,check out the solo. The sound filled the stadium up.

Making Finals for the first time with Bayonne in 1976 as a marching member.

I was in the stands at Franklin Field for the end of that show. That ALMOST out-awesomed BD that year. :thumbup:

• Like 1

First was making finals in 1985 and the way we were told we made it in Finals.

But the most memorable has to be last August performing as the Alumni corps to a stadium of fans that went crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

OK. So i wasn't much of a fan back then but I've got to say (and this is without reading all the comments here) 1984 Cadets . Why? The best darn Mello solo ... ever! Barb Maroney pretty much made me cry. Say what you want sometimes that one moment is one person taking the entire corps on their backs and taking the crowd with them.You can hear what I'm talking about at Middle Horn Leader - All About The Barbara

You will have goosebumps ... I promise.

Two or three moments for me,

Saving all my money fron a part time job I had in the summer of 75 and taking a bus 1700 miles to see DCI finals in Franklin Field. Oh yeah, as a 14 year old and by myself! My parents didn't mind me going alone as I told them I had a middle school friend who moved there who I would stay with which I lied about but there was now way they would let me go alone. I took a small sleeping bag with me and a small shoulder bag w/ 2 days worth of clothes and some snacks in it. I knew I probably couldn't take my sleeping bag in the stadium, so I hid it under some trees near a park. I was going to sleep in the park Friday night before finals but it turned out to be a pretty scary place to say the least. So, I jumped on a city bus and just got off in an area that looked safe. There was a school nearby and I ended up sleeping near the football field. There was a corps staying there, I believe it was the Belvederes, but I'm not sure, but I figured it was the safest place to stay. Took the same bus line back into the city the next morning and took in the incredible performance of the Madison Scouts that night. I knew then and there I would march in a drum corps someday. Who that would be I had no idea at the time. Back then it was probably pretty odd for a Colorado kid to march with a California and a Wisconsin corps.

DCI in Montreal 1982. Though I had seen Garfield numerous times that summer on tour, something about their finals night performance told me I was seeing something that would change drum corps and the history of it forever. Zingali's drill was amazing even though a lot of corps had started expanding their field coverage in 1980, this was truly a masterpiece. The 2nd year of their "new" concepts earned them their 1st DCI title in 83, but it was the 82 show that my gut told me that I was seeing the future and at the same time something historical.

DCI week in Denver 2004. I never thought DCI would ever return to Denver in my lifetime and I told my friends that if it did, my life would be complete. Well I guess I'm living on borrowed time now. Hanging out in Washington Park watching all the D2 and D3 corps warmup. Now this is Wash Park where the cheapest home will run you 3/4 a million easily and all the bikers, joggers, and health nuts stopping in their tracks ( which they do for nobody in the park) and gawking at the sounds they were hearing. Hearing some of them calling their friends telling them what "cool" bands were in the park. And the snobs actually allowing the corps to walk over to South stadium w/o trying to break their ranks was a great sign of respect. I know too many speed bikers in that park who stop for nothing. You'd think they are all training for the Olympics. It was a great week for me in Denver even though it is not one of my favorite drum corps years.

• Like 1

I think that for me, on a personal level, it will always be seeing my first DCI finals at Mile High Stadium in 1978. The memory is bittersweet, because of course my original intention was not to be sitting on the sidelines, watching, but marching in finals. Alas, it was not to be. Still, it was a pretty incredible experience and remains my favorite finals, if nothing else than because of the perfect weather combined with many amazing corps performances.

From a fan viewpoint, I think my favorite audience moment will always be being there in 1982 to see and hear Blue Devils blow us all away at Reitz Bowl in Evansville, Indiana. One of the all-time great corps performances that I had the pleasure of experiencing!

Edited by byline
  • Like 1