Uglier Than Sin!

SO I am having withdrawls like everyone else and I have been watching some old school drum corps. My first thought? Man there are some ugly uniforms in DCI's history. So my question/poll is what are your top five ugliest corps uniforms of all time, from any era?? If you have pics, share em!

Mine would be:

5) BD '88- Grey Shoes, what were they thinking??????

4) Phantom Regiment '99-'00- The Khaki Regiment- The kind o looked like a desert army fatigues corps or something.

3) SCV '91- Somehow going to the white look was not a great uni for them. The same thing could be said about the '05 uniform.

2) Star 86-88- Ok Pink Circus uniforms for the circus or Disney show I understand, but when Bill Cook sponsered you why would you keep them? I can't imagine recruiting new corps members during that time. "We are a world class finalist that wears:PINK", ouch!!

1) Glassmen 93- I had a hard time picking between Star of yor and G-Men, but these guys took the cake. If you wore that uni, you should be proud that you had a good corps, but just don't show anyone the picture, ha ha ha :rock:

I'm sure someone has had a similiar thread, but Fan Network sparked my interest in it.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

If you don't limit yourself to DCI, back in 50s-70s there were some real, shall we say, odd uniforms. I'll see what I can dig up from the old photos section on the History page.

A few that come to mind quickly are Hamms Indians, Jolly Jesters, Chicago Hornets.

Stand by for link to photos.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Argonauts from Salem Oregon. Sometime mid 80's. Uniforms were white jump suits that looked liked fruit strip gum pajamas. Wish I could find a picture of these.

Salem Argonauts - mid 80's. No more calls we have a winner.

Must find pictures.

Spirit of Atlanta '88 and '89.

BINGO! I was waiting for someone to say it! Talk about killing your identity!

Salem Argonauts - mid 80's. No more calls we have a winner.

That would be the 1985 Argonauts. I was covering an August show in Minneapolis for Drum Corps World that year. I described the Argonauts look as "electric pink and blue James Cagney-esque", and mentioned that a guy seated behind me said.....

"Boy these guys ain't gonna get lost in the dark!"

Preston Scout House's guard uniforms. Ok it's not DCI, but WTF!?!?!

There was actually a FARK.com thread started a couple of years ago due a picture of PSH's guard uniform from an Alumni Classic performance.

How about some of the changes 27th made in their final years? Seeing them in those orange shirts with some sort of purple-ish sash was kind of the same feeling as seeing Phantom in khaki - it just wasn't right, talk about messin' with a great thing! I always wondered if there was a reason for the change other than someone possibly losing a bet! LancerLady if you read this maybe you can fill me in, '86 is the year that really stands out to me if memory serves.

BINGO! I was waiting for someone to say it! Talk about killing your identity!

It would have been nice if we had made it without making this list, but I knew it would come up. Heck, I was surprised it took until page 4 though!

(Re: Spirit 88/89)

Edited by ssorrell

Finals in Orlando (1997 or 1998), they had an "Uglier than Sin" parade. DCI staged a celebration of the history of the activity before finals began, and they marched out one person in a uniform for many of the historical/defunct corps. They probably marched out 40 to 50 people, and the winner, hands down, was the representative from the 1972 MUCHACHOS! It was the Three Amigos seventies style - with a track-suit stripe on the leg - and bell bottoms the size of Texas. Nice.....

I guess the bell bottoms helped hide foot position.