Auditions 2009

I'm 17, and I'm auditioning for corps for the first time this November. I'm going to audition for snare drum at the Seattle Cascades. It'll be their first year back on the field after being inactive this last season, so I'm really excited to audition. I really hope I make it!

If I don't make Cascades, then my back-up choice is Oregon Crusaders. I'll be happy to march either one.

If neither, then I might be on the road with Troopers as a volunteer because I have a friend that plays in the pit.

I was also thinking about INT, like a lot of you.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I audition, which won't be til the 2010 season for several reasons, it'll be for Phantom Regiment. I fell in love with their percussion when I first started following DCI in '06, and I love their musical style as an ensemble. Plus their battery book always just blows me back on my ###.

I am not sure about all corps but within probably the entire top 12, leads are playing up to or over high F in the show, 2nds are playing up to or over high C. When I marched we were still on G horns so they were a little bit different notes but playing 2nd sop for 6 years I had at least a high C in the show every year and 1st sops had several high F in the show. So you not only have to have those notes within your range but also be able to have them for 6-8 hours a day.

If it is a written C, then it is only an A on a Bb trumpet. It would also mean that the leads would be going to a D on a Bb trumpet. That is perfectly acceptable range. However, most books these days are written within high C and lower.

I can't decide...my friends are all going for crossmen, but I want to aspire higher, not to putdown crossmen in anyway possible.

if the auditions are different weekends, no harm in showing up to both, as long as you keep your mouth shut about where you might be on another weekend. If you don't make a "higher" corps, and make the "lower" corps, you can still march. Then the next year, you will have significant experience that you didn't have the year before, or, you might be happy with the organization you ended up at that was originally not your first choice.

good luck, hope you're on the field next year!

So, do you have to be the absolute best at your instrument to make it into a top corps? Like say for instance a trumpet, would you have to be able to scream no matter what and play every single scale off the top of your head super fast??

read what the corps requirements on judging you are, i know on scouts page, it says something like remember musical ability is only 1/5th of what your going to be judged on.

theres also marching, being a team player, wanting to be the best, and probably how well you improved from one camp to another. im not sure if those are the rest for scouts, but they are probably also equally important to caption heads and directors for various corps

Some advice.....

Go to the corps you want to march, not the one you think will medal. This year alone should prove that one never knows! Don't go to a corps only because your friends/boyfriend/girlfriend march there. Even if you don't think you can make a corps, give it a shot. You can talk to many people marching a 'top 6' corp that were cut from a '6-12' corps after the first audition. You never know what any of them are looking for or if your style fits. Corps make cuts every year for unknown reasons that surprise people. Have fun and good luck!

I'm going for my third and final attempt (my rookout) at The Cavaliers.

So this is your third attempt at Cavies, and your rookout, which means when you didn't make Cavies the last two tries you sat at home all summer? Marching Cavies would be awesome, but don't forgo the drum corps experience all together if you happen to not make Cavies. There is an excellent chance that if you had marched elsewhere the first year after being cut you may have had the opportunity to age out with Cavies in '09 as a second year vet.

I'm trying to figure out where I want to audition.

I'm torn between 3 different options...

Take a look at Boston staff bio's Too all come and audition great corp.

First year auditioning, going for the Cavaliers on trumpet. I'm pumped and scared out of my wits at the same time. I'm happy thought, because the material in their audition packet I've played before. I've used their warmup for 2 years, played the Arban's excerpt for a year and a half with my teacher, and I know the two small excerpts pretty well too.

I wanna wear the Green so bad...