Big drops by the guard

By far one of the worst I've seen is 2004 Glassmen...the sabre soloist at the beginning. Not even close! OUCH!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched 88 Bluecoats (not for the drop - Ok curiosity) and what...20 snares? Snare, tenors, some pit, and cymbals all went on snares? The head-to-head action was snazzy.

Wow - and then the GUARD was on horns? How many did that? Very cool, melodic, and yet driving show.

MAV

Yeah, we had the 9 snares, 5 tenors, and that left 6 more. I don't think that all of the cymbal players did the snare thing. So there were a few cymbals and a few pit to make up the 20. The drum to drum might have LOOKED pretty cool, but it was so simple, it was almost funny. Check out VK from that year, their big snare line had some pretty cool parts.

Well even though this isn't really on topic, its along the same lines. . . What was the biggest exposed toss that was caught this year? anybody know?

Blue Devils - the sequential rifle toss - that last guy must have had a lot of pressure on him. It's one of those moments that you just can't drop.

Then again - I'd also say every toss in Crown's show :drool:

Later,

Mike

The one exposed toss I noticed was in the Cavaliers, the duet where the two are in the box catching towards each other. That is VERY exposed.

Big drops? hmm... I can think of a few huge ones I've dropped before! Gulp!

One I've seen though that was a big drop was in Magic 02 at Finals. The drop caused the guy to be late to picking up drum equipment, the tenor line was backmarching and one of the the tenors toppled over the equipment before he could get it out of the way. The drummer was out for quite a bit on the ground, but got a big ovation when he got up and kept going!

Now I remember one. My favorite Crossmen '04 show. In their production one of the girls drops her rifle with a trumpet block coming right towards here. I think she freaks out and she can't pick it up in time to get out of the way, tripping 2 or 3 trumpet players who couldn't see her. Nobody actually fell down, but there was a lot of stumbling.

God having something like that happen to me finals night would be my worst nightmare. Kudos to guard for being able to deal with the stress, because unlike horn players, you can see every one of their mistakes.

Cadets 1997 finals (responsible for the audible gasp from the crowd on our CDs) and Cadets 2002 finals (one of the men in the military style rifle front at the end of the show).

Holy cow, you've finally explained to me what that audience gasp is I've always heard and always wondered about in the 1997 show. I've always figured it was part of the show, because the guard is audible in another part of the show. I listen to this show more than I watch it, so I don't think I've seen this drop, will have to look!

And as for 2002, such a bad night...there was the missed sabre toss in the opener, the contra spill, and this featured drop...it sent my head into my hands with some mumbled cursing...

Holy cow, you've finally explained to me what that audience gasp is I've always heard and always wondered about in the 1997 show. I've always figured it was part of the show, because the guard is audible in another part of the show. I listen to this show more than I watch it, so I don't think I've seen this drop, will have to look!

And as for 2002, such a bad night...there was the missed sabre toss in the opener, the contra spill, and this featured drop...it sent my head into my hands with some mumbled cursing...

What contra spill? I saw the 2002 show at Murfreesboro, but not at finals, except on the DVD. Was the contra spill on the DVD or the Fan Network video? What minute of the show?